Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the Forum for a few years and have just been thinking about some longer range shooting.
I've purchased an Savage Axis in .270 Win and want to get up to 650 yds (longest range I can find locally.....yes, in WV that is quite a distance.) Could only find 1 box of ammo. I have what I need to load/reload shells.
My question is, should i zero my scope with factory ammo or untested reloaded ammo?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Loading your own is the best way to go especially if you have an unreliable source of factory ammo. Do a load development to figure out what your weapon likes then buy in bulk when supply stores come back. I have to say that right now is not the time to buy in bulk as I did but at some point in the future when component supplies improve its a good idea . When I do load development I only buy enough powder to discover the ideal recipe for my shooter. Once I find out what the shooter likes then I buy the components for that recipe in bulk. You can search this website for load recipes that have worked for other shooters to use as a point of comparison. Realize that every weapon is different so the load recipe that works for one rifle may not work for another.

After the load development, I would advise that you get some decent quality cases of the same lot. I personally buy enough cases so that I can burn out the barrel based on the expected number of reloads for that case/caliber and the expected number of accurate shots for a barrel of that caliber. It is a substantial investment but for me it has worked out well.I have bought 500 cases for my bolt 6.5CM simply due to expected barrel life. I usually buy my powder for each weapon usually 2 - 8lb jugs at a time and I group my powder and primer purchases to save $ on hazmat fees. I purchase 1000 each or more for projectiles and primers at a time.

Initially buying in bulk is a substantial investment but with all these short term bumps in supply and the wild swings in the political winds and views on firearms, my access to ammo is a matter of spending some time loading. This last supply bump is longer than I expected so I've cut back on shooting especially handgun because I don't reload for the those. The benefit of having bulk supplies allows you to have stable supply of ammo that you have fine tuned to that weapon. Having components from the same lots keep me from having to do more load developments than I care to. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. This has worked for me and is my .02

Regards,

Martino

1 - 5 of 5 Posts