Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Gentlemen,

I am a new member with a keen interest in long range shooting. I have a new Remington 700 VSF in .308 with Leupold 1pc mount and leupold medium rings. I have 2 applicable scopes that I could use, first is a Leupold VariX III 4.5x14 AO with target knobs and mildot cross hair, second is a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 with target knobs and mildot cross hair.

My questions: which of these 2 scopes should I use and will the 700 vsf in .308 turn in respectful performance? Also, are these mounts and rings alright or should I consider a 20 moa base and some tactical rings?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both scopes you mentioned will be plenty acceptable for your appliction. I would pick the scope with the most internal adjustment. It will server you better.

As for the rest of your questions:

yes your rig will get the job done.

The rings a mounts are again acceptable. I would leave them alone unless you run out of dope before you get the max range you are after.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks longshot38,

I do appreciate your prompt reply. One more question: 168 grain or 175 grain sierra MKs. The reason I ask is that remington uses a 1 turn in 12 inch twist in this rifle. Will that make much of a difference with these 2 bullets?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
169 Posts
How far are you shooting? Both will easily get out to 800 yards - and depending on your muzzle velocity you can probably go to 1000 yards with both as wel.

That being said, the 175's will get you there more efficiently with more energy, velocity, and less drop. It's not a huge difference though.

Whichever you choose, base it primarily off of accuracy. If you never plan on going past 800 yards, It probably does not really matter.

This information is based off of ballistic charts, you don't want to have your bullet go subsonic, or your accuracy will suffer greatly.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey NiceDay2,

Thanks for your reply. Definitly out to 1000 yards. I have good supplies of IMR-4064, H-4895 and RL-15 powders. Or should I consider a different powder. I also have 150 winchester .308 new cases and 500 CCI-Br2 primers. Am getting ready to order bullets and dies. Was thinking about rcbs match full length sizing die and micrometer bullet seater die. And maybe a set of rcbs's target shell holders (5) graduated in .002" increments.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
169 Posts
You shooting from bench at 100 yards? If so the "Bench rest" model (the one with the lowest legs) from Harris is excellent. If you plan on shooting prone, and ever will be in weeds/tall grass then the next highest up 9-13 i think it is? Don't quote me on that.

Either one will work perfectly for 95% of situations.

Alternatively a sandbag or similar is even more steady (and cheaper).

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Hey brother, welcome aboard.

Your VSF should be a fine shooter, every one I have ever shot was sub MOA. Either of the two scopes you mentioned will work fine, the Bushnell will have more internal adjustment. I always recommend a canted base, I have a 15 MOA on my LTR.

The Remington has a 1-12 twist barrel, mine isn't particularly fond of 175-178 grain pills, I have run 168's out to 1K though. My standard load is a 168 Amax pushed by 42.2 grains of IMR4064 in Remington cases, though I may be going to 4895 for logistical reasons.

Bipods? I don't use one so I'm no help there. :wink:

Rigger

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey navyrigger46,

Thanks for all of the info. Ya'll have been a big help. I pick my vsf .308 up on the 14th of this month. I guess I should get started reloading for it now. Initial sight in at 100 yards and then work on the longer distances after load developement. Correct proceedure?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Go to the range and try both scopes if you have both already (I think the first post indicates you do) and buy a box of FGMM 186 and a box of FGMM 175 and see which the rifle likes better. It's hard to go wrong with a Harris bipod.

·
Registered
271 Posts
thornblom said:
Hey navyrigger46,

Thanks for all of the info. Ya'll have been a big help. I pick my vsf .308 up on the 14th of this month. I guess I should get started reloading for it now. Initial sight in at 100 yards and then work on the longer distances after load developement. Correct proceedure?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
Dunno if I'm reading this as intended, but wait 'til you get the rifle in hand before you start seating bullets. OAL will depend on what you rifle magazine will allow, how your barrel throat is cut, and the shape of your bullets. Too easy to seat to the wrong length without having the rifle to check.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey BK 13,

Thanks for the reminder. I pick my rifle up next Tuesday. Will oder dies and bullets today from midwayusa. I have been reloading since I was 17, am 61 now, and used to shoot benchrest matches. So, the information that ya'll give me here I can redilly put to use. As they say, just push me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, heck! You have a whole lot more experience than, I, and here I'm running off at the mouth expertizing!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Sir,

You were just being helpful and I do appreciate it. I have found that when I start a new indever, approach it as if I am new to it and try to gather all the info I can and then start. Full memory banks, don't cha know.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I spent a little money with Midwayusa yesterday. Ordered dies, cases, bullets and shellholder. All Hornady. 50 Hornady .308 match cases, 100 Hornady 168 gr bthp .308 bullets, Hornady .308 dies and shellholder.

Potential load should look like this:

Case: Hornady .308 win match, full length sized, trimmed to 2.005"
Primer: CCI-Br2
Bullet: Hornady 168 grain BTHP match
Powder: 43.2 grains of IMR-4064
COL: 2.800"
Muzzle Velocity: looking for 2600 ft/sec

OK, ya'll with the long range experience, let me hear your changes.
I can take it.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I didn't get any hits on the above post so I assumed that that data was a good place to start. I loaded 50 rounds. I hope to be able to test them next weekend, work permitting.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey ya'll,

I just got back from the range where I shot my new Rem vsf .308 with the load I cobbled together a few posts up. Range officer bore sighted my rifle for me. It took me 4 shots to get shooting center at 100 yards. Then I shot a 5 shot group 1.75" but centered. 3 shots were within 1/2" and 2 shots out. I cleaned the chamber and bore and checked all screws for tightness. Second 5 shot group was right around 1". This rifle really needs the trigger adjusted or a Shilen trigger. Cleaned chamber and bore again, fired 2 fouling shots, then the 3rd 5 shot group was 5/8".

I let the barrel cool down and then shot the 4th 5 shot group at a slower pace. It came in at just a shade over 1/2". The 5th 5 shot group was again 5/8". 6th 5 shot group was a shade under 1/2". 7th 5 shot group was between 3/8" and 1/2". Then I shot the remaiming 9 rounds into a 7/8" group at 100 yards. Barrel was pretty warm by this time. Now I have some good fire formed brass to work with.

I guess that was not a too bad session with a new rifle and a first load. Basically this load was a federal gmm load using hornady ingredients and cci br2 primers.

I think I will set the sizing die 1/2 turn out, leave the powder charge alone,
stay with the cci-br2 primer and seat the bullet about .0015" from the rifling.

What do ya'll think?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

1 - 20 of 2960 Posts