Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

2941 - 2960 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My wife and I gave each other $500 to spend anyway we wanted to. We decided that was best. No returns or exchanges anticipated and the "fit" is guaranteed.:cool::cool:
That works out if you don't have to give her the $500.00 to give you.

Reactions: para72

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
That works out if you don't have to give her the $500.00 to give you.

I am married to a wealthy woman. She was "rat-holing" all my money while I worked and now that I'm retired she gives me some of it regularly.

Actually that was good. If she hadn't, I probably would have "whizzed" it all away. When I pulled the pin I was amazed at the amount she had "hidden" all over the country in different banks.

Took me three tries to find a woman this good and we've been married for over 30 years now.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,944
My wife has what I have and vice versa. We are 50/50 partners on everything. When we buy a new gun, we both agree on the purchase.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,946
I just purchased a set of black box Redding .308 match dies. It has a micrometer bullet seater die, a full length sizer die and a neck sizer die. I need to shoot up some of my .308 loads so I can put the new dies to work.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,947
I just purchased a set of black box Redding .308 match dies. It has a micrometer bullet seater die, a full length sizer die and a neck sizer die. I need to shoot up some of my .308 loads so I can put the new dies to work.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

I really like the micrometer bullet seating die.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,948
I really like the micrometer bullet seating die.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Ammo loaded with this die set, ( neck sizing die and the micrometer seating die ), is a good improvement over the previous dies I was using. Standard Hornady and RCBS dies.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,952
Yep, that eliminates a step in the case prep process, ( you don't have to wipe lube out of the mouth of the case neck).
And you don't take the chance of contaminating the powder with lube.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,953 (Edited)
In the past I have taken all of my match prepped Lapua .308 cases and weighed them and arranged them in order from lightest to heaviest. Lots of work for very little if any return. I consider that my point of deminishing return. I think it will take a much more accurate rifle than mine to appreciate the difference.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,954
Just a re cap: My rifle is a2007 vintage Remington 700 VSF .308 with HS Precision stock and 26" fluted barrel with 1 in 12" twist. It wears a 20 moa EGW rail and Warne med heigth rings and a Leupold Vari X III 4.5x14 AO scope with mildot crosshair and 1/4 moa click adjustment knobs with caps. Plus a Harris BR bipod.

Everyday load:
Case: Lapua .308 match prepped and trimmed to 2.005"
Primer: CCI-Br2
Bullet: 175 grain SMK
Powder: 43.5 grains of Varget
COL: 2.825", MV: Approx 2650 ft/sec

Tightest group load:
Case: Winchester .308, match prepped and trimmed to 2.005"
Primer: WW WLR
Bullet: 168 grain SMK
Powder: 41.5 grains of IMR-8208-XBR
COL: 2.825", MV: 2603 ft/sec

Most accurate 175 grain load:
Case: Lapua .308, match prepped and trimmed to 2.005"
Primer: CCI-Br2
Bullet: Berger 175 grain VLD
Powder: 43.5 grains of Varget
COL: 3.007", MV: Approx 2650 ft/sec

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,955
Well, it has come the time of year here in the high desert where the temps are good for shooting but when the temps get up so does the wind. Really gotta watch the weather reports to choose a day where conditions are favorable. When I miss a report and wind up at the range with the wind blowing, well it is just time to practice shooting in the wind. Much can be learned from each outing at the range. Just keep copious notes.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a chance to buy one of two rifles the 1st is a remington sendero and the other is the remington long range that will be blue printed and have the lugs and ramses polished and lapped with a timney trigger with the long range being $200 more which would be the better purchase for the money

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I've got a chance to buy one of two rifles the 1st is a remington sendero and the other is the remington long range that will be blue printed and have the lugs and ramses polished and lapped with a timney trigger with the long range being $200 more which would be the better purchase for the money
Either is nearly identical. The sendero is an older model (unless it is a sendero II), so I would give a slight edge to the sendero due to age.

I really don't see a purpose in "blueprinting" an action unless you are replacing the barrel. There is really not much that can be done except some slight polishing. Any truing will change the headspace and require the barrel be set back or replaced. If you are paying for an action to be trued then throw in the extra $350 and put a good barrel on as well. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,959
I agree with ddd. Although the timney trigger is a plus. What caliber are you getting.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom.

2941 - 2960 of 2960 Posts