Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bubba,
I recommend doing a ladder test up front. Keep your existing COL or use an OGIVE comparator (which as you know is more relative to making uniform rounds) then determine your accuracy nodes with the ladder test. Once you have the nodes recorded then refine them with seating adjustments. I have saved countless $$ doing this up front each time I try a new bullet, barrel, powder, etc. Twenty rounds and 1 hour of range time vs. 100-200 rounds and weeks of frustration......

Just my .2c

V/R

Comanche 6

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Commanche 6,

Up front, let me thank you for your service, and wish you a safe return.

Now, as long as I have been reloading, from age 17 to 61, I have not run across the ladder test. I would like to know more about it and how to do it. Does it require the rcbs over all length comparator? I am interested, please explain.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Howdy ya'll,

Just got back from the range again. This week I tried the following load:

Case: Hornady match .308 winchester, full length re-sized
Primer: Federal 210 Match
Powder: 43.5 grains of IMR-4064
Bullet: Hornady 168 grain hpbt match
COL: 2.800"
Velocity: swag at 2650 ft/sec, (scientific wild assed guess)

I only loaded 27 rounds, 2 fouling shots, and 25 for 5 5 shot groups.
The 2 fouling shots hit 1/2" higher than last weeks loads. So, 2 clicks down. 1st 5 shot group was centered and went about 5/8". 2nd 5 shot group was a shade over 1/2". 3rd 5 shot group was just under 3/4". 4th 5 shot group was just under 1/2". 5th 5 shot group, or should I say 4 shot group was right at 5/8". Never found where the 5th shot went. I either pulled it completely off the target or it went through one of the other holes although none of them looked elongated. This load seemed to be a lot more consistant, group wise than last weeks load. I think I will just load up a bunch of this load and just practice and get some 200 and 300 yard dope for this rifle.

Also, during load developement, I found that this rifle has a rather long throat. 2.958" is touching lands with the Hornady bullet. I seated it to 2.900" and it wouldn't fit the magazine. 2.825 to 2.830" would go into the magazine but fed eratically. Some hung up, some didn't. So I went with the industry standard of 2.800". Works for me.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In retrospect:

So far I have only shot 13 groups ranging from .438" to 1.750".
This 13 group average is .716".

If you discount the first 2 groups of 1.750" and 1.00", the the 11 group average is .688"

First range report: 8 groups average was .789"

Second range report: 5 groups average was .600"

How would ya'll rate this rifles performance thus far?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey ya'll,

All of the above groups were shot using a Hoppes bench rest set up.

I have just install a Harris BRM bipod. If I use the bipod in conjunction with the rear Hoppes leather sand bag. Can I expect similar performance,
better or worse.

Do any of ya'll have any suggestions for max performance using this bipod?

Sincererly,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
518 Posts
For a right out of the box weapon id say its doing pretty well, each step you do seams to be improvement so thats a plus. I just wish i could go out and shoot and have fun like you are... but i still have another 5 months before i get to even go home, then no telling how long itll be before Mike is done with my rifle.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Chris,

Thanks for your service. Stay safe and come back home all in one piece.
I won't ask what agency or where you are deployed. Just get er done and come on home and lets go to the range and do some shooting.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Went to the range again yesterday and shot the remington 700 vsf .308.

This time I used once fired Hornady match .308 brass sized with the die backed out 1/4 turn from touching the shellholder. Everything elso about the load was the same as the last time out.

Shot 5 five shot groups ranging from .489" to .653".

My shooting partner, retired Marine master gunny sargeant, had previously given me 100 LC match 7.62x51 cases, all supposedly once fired. After preping which included full length sizing, triming to 2.005", cleaning case necks with bronze brush, deburring flash holes and swaging primer pockets, weighing and segregating. Much work. I tried a different load.

Case: LC match 7.62x51
Primer: Winchester large rifle
Powder: 43.5 grains of ww-748
Bullet: Hornady 168 grain hpbt match
COL: 2.800"
MV: Interpolated from Speer manual @ about 2625 ft/sec

I shot 3 five shot groups after cleaning from the above session and firing 3 fouler shots. 1st group was .477", 2nd group was .503", 3rd group was .599". Averaged .526". Not bad, but consider this. Each group got progressively larger. May be something to the heat sinsitive deal. Now I am wondering how large the last group might have been if I had shot 10 five shot groups. I am sure that shooting at a slower pace to keep the barrel from heating up would stabilized group growing. But in a match, can you do that?

Anyway, I was supprized at how clean the bore was. The forward 1/2 of the case neck had slight powder smudge.

This shooting was again done on the Hoppes benchrest setup. I tried a few rounds off the Harris bipod (bench rest model) and groups were larger by about .300" and 1" higher than the point of aim with both loads. There must be a special proceedure to using the bipod that I have not figured out yet.

Still, I am having fun. Oh, the loads with ww-748 were just thrown with my uniflow powder measure after using a scale to set the powder measure to throw the 43.5 grain charge.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks mac,

I had intended to do a few things to it, like a Shilen trigger, maybe Badger mounts and rings, Falcon Menace 10x scope, maybe have Shilen take off the barrel and rechamber it with a shorter throat, square the action, lap the bolt lugs, etc. But hell, it shoots 1/2" groups as is. I could spend another $1500 on it and gain what, maybe .200". It might do that eventually anyway. I'll just shoot it as is until it won't shoot less than an inch and then just rebarrel it.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Maybe if I put a Masonic sticker on the stock it will shoot better.
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The way that shoots now any additional money spent on it will be for things you like but don't need, nothing wrong with that but you really have it shooting well now. I'd think about spending the $1,500 on a great piece of glass (read nightforce, Kahles, Zeiss etc) or a new rifle. You can never have too many rifles.

thornblom said:
Thanks mac,

I had intended to do a few things to it, like a Shilen trigger, maybe Badger mounts and rings, Falcon Menace 10x scope, maybe have Shilen take off the barrel and rechamber it with a shorter throat, square the action, lap the bolt lugs, etc. But :), it shoots 1/2" groups as is. I could spend another $1500 on it and gain what, maybe .200". It might do that eventually anyway. I'll just shoot it as is until it won't shoot less than an inch and then just rebarrel it.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Maybe if I put a Masonic sticker on the stock it will shoot better.
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My gun safe runeth over now. I have enuff fire arms to open my own gun store. You want to go into business together? I guess if I were to buy another rifle it would be one of those gunwerks long range shooting systems thangs. $1500 would maybe make the down payment and a VA loan for the rest. Impressive rifles.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To my way of thinking, this rifle really shouldn't shoot this well. Using the Hornady 168 grain match hpbt bullet, COL with the bullet touching the lands is 2.958". Too long for the magazine. At 2.900" it is too long for the magazine. At 2.825" to 2.830" fits the magazine but feeding is a sometimes thang. At 2.800" it 100% feeds. The bullet is jumping .158" into the lands. Not supposed to shoot that good but it does. Maybe Remington knows something about .308 chamber throats that we don't.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: I guess this amounts to freebore. Weatherby used to be famous for the large amount of freebore they built into their chambers. And some of those rifles were real tack drivers. I heard one man say that Weatherby put so much freebore in their chambers that only the last 6 inches of the barrel had rifling. Joking of course. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Went to the range this morning,

Shot 5 five shot groups off the Harris bipods and also used the rear leather rabbit ear sand bag from my Hoppes benchrest set.

I was surprized to see all 5 groups between 3/4" and 1". Point of impact was about 3/4" higher than it was off the full Hoppes benchrest set. All five groups displayed some verticle stringing.

Is this normal? Is there some special technique to use with the bipod?
Or does it just take some practice and getting used to?

Help if ya'll can.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
LOL Cuz not to worry happens all the time here. New member not neccessarily = new shooter!

Welcome (belated) Thornblom, good to have you on board.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That was interesting!

I think you scared the britches off some of the diapers, but still, like your style and interest. I'm not sure which is coming first, endless time or the possibility that you could possibly build, or have built for you a perfectly balanced custom rifle. On the near end it seems you did pretty darn well for a factory rifle. Now, just for grins before I go....

I would like to see what happens at 600 yards, you have burned up that 100 yard shot :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
8) Hey ya'll,

I know ya'll are keeping that harris bipod secret from me.
Ya'll know I am gonna find out eventually, so ya'll might oughta just go on and tell me now.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey kiwi,

Being an old benchrest shooter, I just can't resist shooting at 100 yards.

But, if thangs work out right this week end, they are having a 600 yard benchrest match down at Pala. So, how many clicks up from 100 yards.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

21 - 40 of 2960 Posts