Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All right ya'll,

I think I have it. The rabit ear sand bag goes behind the pistol grip just under where your cheek rests on the stock, but with relatively light cheek pressure and butt snug against the shoulder, but not so snug that it creates a tremor. With the left hand, squeeze the sand bag to maintain horizontal cross hair stability.

Is that about the right proceedure?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: Follow-through is really important when shooting off of the bipods, right?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm thinking of joining the range at Pala, longest range around here. 800 and change. Good if you don't mind shooting up a steep hill. Good shooters there.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I think they now go out to 1000 yards. This coming Sunday they are doing several matches including F class and 600 yard benchrest.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just reading through your posts thorn, looks like you are making good progress with your new rifle, and getting some good groups. Keep up the good work.

You mentioned seeting out the bullet beyond the "factory" specs. I have a SPS Tactical in .308 and my OAL is 2.931, which is about .010 from the lands. I measured that using a precision mic. However, it doesn't feed so well from the magazine.

But, it looks like you are in the right track with things! Good job!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hey semper fi,

I know what you mean. Mine won't feed reliably at 2.830" and that is real COL primer to bullet nose.

At 2.800" real COL all is good. I don't yet have the outfit that measure to the ogive. So I have to measure with a caliper.

If I wanted to single load I could go to 2.958" or somewhat shorter. But, I wanted to develope a load that would both shoot very accurately and work reliably through the action.

I am still in the having fun stages, playing around at 100 yards. When I get it all hammared out, I'll start playing with seating depth, primers and probably change bullets to the 168 grain Sierra match kings. I had 200 of the hornady match bullets on hand so I started with them.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
249 Posts
They main thing is that you are enjoying it.... that's what it's all about! If I hunted with mine, I would definately load to the factory length, but I shot bench rest.. so dropping them in one at a time isn't a big deal for me.

I may experiment, and find a compromise over the winter! It will give me something to do in the garage...LOL

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So,

Are you still in the Corp? Are you a sniper, and if so, do have one of those "Best sniper rifles on earth"? M40-A1 or A2 or is it now up to A3?
I read the book, "One Shot One Kill". Extremely interesting.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Most of the folks that I shoot with down at Pala are retired marines. They all shoot very well and have taught me a ton. My shooting partner, another retired marine at Yucca Valley, has had a profound effect on my shooting.

We were shooting at a public range near 29 Palms a year or so ago, and a Marine Sniper came out and shot with us. Maybe I should say he shot for us as we were so amazed that we just watched. He had had the Marine Corp build him his own personal m40-a1. He continually put 3 shots in one hole at 100 yards. By one hole, I mean the same hole. To say the least, I was impressed.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Wow,

Ya'll really don't like to talk about Harris bipod techniques. Why is that?
Maybe there are just some things we need to figure out for ourselves, or is it that everyone seems to have the same problems with the bipods at first and don't want to admit it.

I had a short 100 yard range session yesterday. 2 five shot groups from the Hoppes benchrest went .525" and .605". Did 3 five shot groups frm the bipod that went .625", .645", and .722". Getting a little better but I really don't know what I did to make it improve other than just really concentrating more. Is that it?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ya'll really don't like to talk about Harris bipod techniques
For starters I don't own a bipod, so I don't really know much out the technique. :D

I am thinking of getting a bipod though, they seem like it would really be the ticket. I wouldn't have to carry a sand bag or anything. I have read that some will kinda lean in to the bipod, or put forward pressure against it to kind steady it up. I'm not sure about that though because it seems it would put some strain on the stock where hte bipod connects?

I hope you get some more repsones from those who use them regularly, because I'm also interested about getting one and would want to know the "proper" way to use it.

:D

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I used a bipod on sunday and I have to say, I prefer using a bag or ruck. Its a tad more comfy. Also with bipods some stocks can flex a bit, not as much weight distribution compared to a large front rest.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Quick,

When you really get a grip on how to manage that bipod, let Semper
Fi and I know and we will do the same.

Just guessing, I would say that you keep trying different methods untill you find what works for you.

That being said, as Semper Fi related above, I have heard of the slight forward pressure thing before.

Rear sand bag or not? I tried it and I am not there yet. Also heard to curl your left arm around under the rifle and the butt stock will rest on your left thumb or in the V formed by your left thumb and fore finger.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I dont use a rear bag, just my left hand. I find it easier to adjust for height and angle. I just found that It was too high for me and not as easier to chnage the angle of the rifle. I'll be getting one for me 700, but wont use it all the time.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
That left hand position is right thornblom .... and pushing forward into the bipod is also good.

The forward tension on the bipod and forend should not effect a rifle that has a free-floated barrel.

Something else with a bipod .... if possible have it on the ground not on a bench and in particular a concrete bench .... they can bounce a bit on hard surfaces. This is where a front rest or bag can be better than a bipod.
I know an guy who, to reduce bounce when shooting off a bench, cuts a squere of turf and puts it on the bench for his bipod to stand on.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Kiwi,

Thanks, that is more good info that I can use.

I am 61 years old and still going to school. What was that about old dogs and new tricks?

Maybe I should change my nick name from Bubba to Old Dog.

Sincerely,
Dave (Old Dog) Thornblom

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
OK Gentlemen,

We moved out to 200 yards Sunday. Very carefully shot 5 five shot groups with the Hoppes benchrest set-up and 5 five shot groups with the Harris bipod.

With the Hoppes benchrest set-up: the 5 five shot groups averaged 1.50"
group shape was more or less round

With the bipod: the 5 five shot groups averaged 2.50", group shape was tall and skinny. As in verticle dispersion

I used a 1 foot square piece of carpet on top of the bench table to place the bipod legs on and did not use the rear sand bag, just my left hand.

I might be getting a little better with the bipod, but I'm still not there.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

41 - 60 of 2960 Posts