Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member and want some opinions. I have purchased a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision 308. I want to know your opinions on a scope to top this rifle off with? I will be range shooting with access to a 600 yard range though I hope to get the opportunity to shoot out to 1,000 yards at some point. I live in Massachusetts do 1,000 yard ranges are far and few between. For optics I was considering either a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP or a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40, what would I be gaining by going with the Vortex which is approximately 2 time more money other than the fact that it's a FFP? Again, I'm only shooting at paper targets at my range. My next questions is what mount and rings should I go with? I've been reading a good deal of posting and the members seem extremely knowledgeable. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks,
Darrow

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes because everybody in the world already has a remington and people want to try something new. Savage has a hell of a lot to offer for the money. Especially if your not looking to rebuild a rifle so much that it isn't even a remington anymore...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes, I meant the Burris. He was asking about the scope so that's the context I responded in. I don't know if it's because these things aren't new and there's all this excitement about the Vipers being the new guys on the block, but after doing a review and making suggestions it just seems to get brushed over. I think people look at the MSRP and figure it for the street price when in reality the street price is less than half the MSRP. The price difference is 16 dollars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X50 and love it.... :D with Burris XTR Rings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. I was looking at the Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x42 Mil Dot Model number 426242M. Maybe I should have rephrased my question, for the type of shooting that I will be doing basically target and hopefully getting out to 1000 yards am I gaining anything extra by spending the additional $500.00 on the Vortex Viper over the Bushnell 4200? $500.00 isn't a tremendous amount extra to spend on something that will last a very long time. If I go with the 4200 I would have around $400.00 extra kicking around to upgrade my spotting scope which is a cheap model with poor quality glass.

I did see on Natchez you can pick up the fixed power 10X42 for $149.00 which is quite a deal, are they discontinuing that model or just coming out with a newer improved version?

Again thanks for your comments and keep them coming, nobody has made any comments on the rings a base yet, I am looking for input on this as well.

Darrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Adam,

Thank you for all the information, I was looking through some of Mel's scope reviews and happened upon the Falcon Menace FFP 4-14x44, what are your thoughts on this? I would really like to keep the project under $2,000.00, trying to slip one past the wife is like trying to slip something by the IRS it can be done but there will be hell to pay if it is discovered.

thanks again,
Darrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Adam,

I ended up going with the Falcon Menace FFP Mil/Mil 5-25x50. I was trying to locate one in the US and Canada which is impossible, I ended up getting on from Scopes Direct in the UK. I had sent an e-mail to Matt at Wonder Optics but he never got back to me, I ended up getting a response from Robert at RW Snyder Gunsmithing who said he can't keep them on his store and that you are really getting a lot for what you pay for them. He wouldn't be able to get me a scope until the end of April or the beginning of May. Hopefully I'll have the scope by Friday they Fed Ex it yesterday so maybe I'll be on the range Saturday afternoon. I'll buy some Match ammo and report back, I also ordered precision dies so I can start reloading.

Thank you everybody for your feedback.

Darrow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts