Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am going to be purchasing a new rifle and I just wanted to get your ideas/thoughts/recommendations.

Here is what I was thinking:

Tac Ops X-Ray in .308
Adjustable saddle type check piece
Vertically adjustable butt with adjustable spacer system
18-inch heavy fluted barrel. Threaded with cap for muzzle break (suppressors illegal in Australia)
Muzzle break
Anschutz accessory rail
Harris Bi-pod
Flush mount swivel cups
Sling to suit

Badger base (~20 MOA) and rings
Schmidt & Bender PM II 5 - 25 X 56

The muzzle break will primarily be used for when my 9yo cousins shoot. Can anyone tell me who makes a good muzzle break?

So that’s what I was thinking. If there is something I have missed or I should do differently let me know (that’s why I’m here :oops: )

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
It would be a fantastic rifle package, it sounds like it was well researched. Do not forget a good hard case for it.

You may want to check with the S&B scope to see how many elevation adjustments you have, and how far you want to shoot. I try to avoid using them unless I have to.

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
TacOps will cut the form into the Pelican hard case foam for you. Mike will buy the pelican case and charge you a fee over that which isn't too large. Mike is just as anal about doing this(In a good way!), as he is in making his rifles.

John

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hey, don't forget this!

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc1.htm

Sorry, I just can't help myself. :wink:

The rifle sounds like a great choice.

Beware of the redirected shock wave associated with a brake. It can be harmful to a youngster's growing ears. Even with proper protection there are risks.

Don't forget the ironclad rules about pictures... :D

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If it proves too loud, you might let him try without the muzzle break. That is probably a heavy weapon, and it might negate the kick of the 308 round very well. A 9 pound rifle, with a well shaped stock and good recoil pad, is a pussycat I think a 9 year old lad could get used to. I'm betting your rifle is heavier.

Good ear protection though, he should be fine. The muzzle break can develop a bit of a flinch in an untrained, youthful shooter as you can sometimes feel the blast from it, and as snowy pointed out, it is very loud.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A muzzle break on an 18'' barrel will be in your face and loud

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All

Thanks for the replies it’s greatly appreciated.

Mel
From what little info I can find on the scope I believe it has 26 MRADs of adjustment which if my math is any good (which its not) is approx. 89MOA. I plan to shoot out to about 1000m

Don't worry snowy I won’t forget about the ironclad rules about pictures when I get her.
But for now here's a couple of pics of my current toy.

Is a Blaser LRS2 in .308 with a S&B 4-16X50.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
With 89 MOA you will be real close to not having to use a 20 MOA rail to get both a 100y zero and 1000y zero. Its cases like this that I wish there was a 10 MOA base readily available from the major guys like TPS, BO, etc. You don't need a full 20 MOA and it would be better for sight alignment and cheek weld to have less cant to the scope. Oh well.

Nice looking Blaser. What price you looking to get for it? And would you be willing to let SC do a full review of it before selling?

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
nice rifle m8! whats the muzzle od diameter--looks kinda small compared to some other tactical rifles

dom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn’t mind letting SC do a full review but as JPR3 mentioned it would cost a packet in shipping to get it to you. plus all the paper work required getting it there.

hypno, the od is 22.00mm (~.86inch)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts