Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new rifle yesterday. Its a Win model 70 in 270 made in 1966. It came with a 4x weaver k4 scope all for $350. I was looking for an action to build on and ran accross it. I went by a friends house and we pulled it apart for a trigger job. He pulled the firing pin out and look the gun over. He said the rifle has hardley ever been fired. Probably less than 100 rounds. In fact it was obvious the stock has never been removed from the rifle until today. No rust, the laqure was still on the bottom of the action and bbl. I'm going to shoot it as is, and if it shoots well, I'll be looking for another action. At this point I am well past need in the amount of firearms I own.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ekaphoto said:
At this point I am well past need in the amount of firearms I own.
I know what you mean.

Enjoy your new rifle! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
:lol: GOOD FIND

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Id keep it how it is personally... sounds like a nice find for that price. How bout a pic?

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see that too...Great rifle.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pic

Ask and you shall recieve. Click below. BTW I am a computer idiot, so havent figured out how to post a pic here yet. The other rifle is a 30-06 I had built in 1989. It is an Interarms MK X action and .5 moa or better groups with the right load etc. I test fired the 270 this morning and it shoots minute of bambi, but not as well as I had hoped. I will bed the action or even considering a synthetic stock. I was getting 1 1/2- 2 in groups. Also that was factory ammo, other ammo may get better not to mention hand loads.

http://ekaphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/453294/1/18268848

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea... try to find a boat tail hollow / soft point with thin walled jacket ammo... thats as close as you will get to a match grade bullet. Im not sure if any one makes a match grade 270 bullet... but you might be able to find one out there. Also... scrub a dub dub the hell outa the barrel to make sure its clean after being around since the 60's and only having 100 rounds through it. You can also concider removing the front sight... i did that on a Winchester 70 i have and the groups went down a half MOA. Make sure to put the screw back in the hole for the front sight if you do decide to remove it though...

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thats a beauty! Thanks for posting man....I'd be really proud of that one.

I find tipped bullets to be the most accurate and my winchester really loves em. Ballistic Silvertips, Accutip, stuff like that.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. BTW here is my best group ever. 5 shots, 100 yards with a .308 Rem 700 varment. Wish all my groups were this good. It was a luck group, but its still mine. :D The size is .196 in center to center.

http://ekaphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/453294/1/18270343

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea ive had a few groups like that... its a one in a million group. Great shooting!!!

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Notce I didn't put the rest of the groups in the photo. You wouldn't have been nearly as impressed. Also that was a few years ago, when I was shooting alot more.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol, notice I didn't post any of my groups. at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts