Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of buying a new rifle. Since my first role in the army was sniping and sniping is my most important hobby, I want a rifle that i can use for long distance practicing and some hunting.

The ones I have been looking at are: trg22/42, Blaser 93 LRS2, sig sauer ssg 3000.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the forums! All the rifles you have mentioned are great rifles. Ive never been priviliged enough to handle a Blaser, but i have heard good things about them. When you get into the higher end rifles like you have your eye on, it becomes personal preference. While my personal favorite of the rifles mentioned is the Sako TRG-42, you may find one of the others to suit your needs better.

If i may id like to add another rifle(s) to your list. The Tac-Ops line of rifles are excellent, just ask Mele. Of course, there is always the option of having one custom made for you...ie SC1 or SC3.
Just trying to give you some more things to consider,

I think you will find some very useful information on this board.
Hope i can help
Chris

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
People will probably need to know exactly what it is you consider long range. All of the rifles you listed would work fine, but specific caliber choice would be dependent alot on range, and what you are hunting.

I beleive you are out of luck on all the choices that 6.5 listed due to export difficulties.

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips!

As for range I haeven't shot on anything further out than 900m so far, but i really want to stretch it as long as i can with "regular" calibers like 308, 300 or 338. A little dream i have is to shoot 308/338 on 1200-1400m.. but not many ranges have opportunities for this.

The main use for this rifle for me is training job-wise (I work in the norwegian army) and recreation. But since I come from a mountain area and have hunted since I was barely old enough to walk with my dad/uncle, i want to be able to use the rifle for some hunting too.. and when I hunt I like to give the animal a "fair" chance.. so I like to go hunting alone and with only me and my rifle against the animal.. so the weight would have to be in a reasonable range.

Maybe it would be better to buy a pure sniper rifle and a cheaper rifle for hunting ?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
.308 is a little small for 1200-1400m
.300 WM is ok for those ranges but the .338 is by far the best round for those kinds of ranges

i never used an 'expensive' rifle hunting more than once
if you want to get a world class sniper rifle, might pay to get a factory rifle to use for hunting then

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess that would be a smart thing to do. The thing about me and long range shooting is that it is therapy! but I guess that goes for most of you guys:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I found a used Remington 700 PSS, shot 100 shots. with a Leopold Vari-X III 4,5-14X52 mil-dot.

Here in norway that cost 14.000NOK that is about 2000USD or something.. hard to find an accurate "translation" of the price considering taxes and the likes.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have shot all the rifles that you are looking at and I can tell you that the sig r93 is the way to go. I shot the 338 lapua and there is no comparison. I myself am buying the blaser. The straight pull is awesome and you can go from 338 to 300 win in about two minutes. I have a 338 and 308 blaser here at the store if you are interested. SD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can check how the import-rules are, if it is economical I would love to use a forum-related shop! Thanks for new tips again!

u.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
long distance practicing and some hunting.
If you are hunting I seriously doubt you will be wanting a Blaser, I would go with a more hunting friendly gun like a Tac Ops. You get extreame precision and rugedness in one package, hard to beat. I don't know what calibers it is available in but that you be my first choice for you situation I believe. Or an SC3!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me again: what do you guys think of "building" a rifle? if i buy a rem 700 variant and get a mcmillan stock, some barrel (any suggestions?) and some work done on the trigger.. is this a good alternative? any suggestions on base rifles to start out with? stocks? barrels? other things i should do anything about?

ulrik.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mel could build you a real nice target / hunting combonation rifle... say a #6 contour 24" barrel with an A2 McMillan stock on a Rem 700 action in a .308 Win or 6.5X55mm... or a .260 Remington.

BC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mel could build you a real nice target / hunting combonation rifle... say a #6 contour 24" barrel with an A2 McMillan stock on a Rem 700 action in a .308 Win or 6.5X55mm... or a .260 Remington.
thanks for the quick reply.

If mel is able to export rifles, that would be great. Is the a2 stock to prefer over the new a5? I haeven't tried any of them, I have just heard a lot about them, mostly everything good! And i guess the 308 win would be the caliber for me. What would the price on a project like that be? mel?

ulrik. [/quote]

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Adamsson said:
thanks for the quick reply.

Is the a2 stock to prefer over the new a5?
The stock depends on what you want to do... the A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5 all have there good and there bad points. The A1, A2 and A3 are more of an offensive stock... made for easy movement and there light weight compared to the more heavy and bulky A4 and A5 stock's. The A4 and A5 stocks are designed for presision tactical rifle work... giving up ease of movement and light weight for customization, presision and fully customizable fit to each individual person. The A4 and A5 are also more $ than the A1, A2, and A3. A good mix of both the light weight... manueverability... and tactical presision would be the A3 stock. The A3 has the option for an adjustable cheek peice and is lighter and less bulky than the A2 stock which it is based off of.

Here is a link to McMillan's stock's... scroll down to see all the stocks available http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/tactical.html

If you want a good hunting and target shooting rifle combined in one... this is how i would break it down.

1: Remington M-700 Short Action with 40X trigger
2: Montana Rifleman # 6 or 7 Contour fluted 24 inch barrel (relative light weight yet still rigid to reduce barrel whip) with either a 1:10 or 1:12 twist (depending on what bullet you want to use for hunting)
3: .308 Winchester caliber
4: McMillan A3 (if you do plan on using it for hunting) / McMillan A4 or A5 with adjustable saddle cheek rest if you plan on using it strictly for target / tactical shooting.
5: Variable power scope... since you plan on using it for both hunting and target shooting... probably a 3.5-10X40mm / 3-9X40mm.

Any thing im missing?

BC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks good! and not too expensive either! I'll check with the different importers here and check the import rules/laws, I'll come back to you.. :)

btw, one last question, what do you guys think of the savage? is it just as customizable?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
For decent savage customizable parts, check here:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

In terms of exporting. I would be willing to work with you, but I would need you to do the research and leg work to make it happen. You need to get an import license to import from the USA, then I need to have an export license to export to Norway.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Adamsson said:
what do you guys think of the savage? is it just as customizable?
The Savage rifles are customizable... but not nearly as much as a Remington 700... infact the only rifle i can think of that is just as customizable... if not more... is the AR-15 style rifle. But those are a whole nother story...

BC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mele said:
For decent savage customizable parts, check here:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

In terms of exporting. I would be willing to work with you, but I would need you to do the research and leg work to make it happen. You need to get an import license to import from the USA, then I need to have an export license to export to Norway.

MEL

I'll check that out as quick as i can. I'll get back to you! it would be great to get a rifle made by someone that know what they do!
I think I'll go for a rem 700, most people seem to like that one. I'll be in touch!

ulrik

1 - 20 of 27 Posts