Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, in my ever expanding quest of providing a good quality rifle for a good price (making a good deal) and yet offer something unique, I have been researching the possibility of a new action for SC1 rifles.

I have recently discovered that McMillan will now inlet their stocks for the Montana Rifleman actions. To see what the MT Rifleman actions are, head here:

http://www.montanarifleman.com/actions.htm

Here are a few things that I like about the actions:
1) They are brand new
2) Controlled feeding (Claw extractor)
3) 3 position Safety
4) Winchester type floor plate (solid steel vs. remington aluminum)
5) Anti-bind grove (for extreme mud & ice conditions)
6) Very strong (explosion tested to 120,000 psi without so much as a scratch on the bolt)

I would like to hear thoughts and opinions about interest in SC1's (and other models) built on this action. The cost would be identical to current SC1 pricing as would the features/options.

If there are favorable responses, I would like to build 2 prototypes (long and short action). These would be built for customers at a price of $1200 with your choice of any mcmillan stock available on the SC1 (a1-a5, win marksman). Yeah, I would lose money on these..... but I'd like to see what happens. If there is interest, but no one interested in a prototype rifle, I'll end up building one prototype. (long action in 6.5 x 55)

let me know what everyone thinks. I personally like the idea because of the better features of the action, and its something different from just another remington build up. But hey, remington actions have name recognition.

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had some cash set aside to purchase a couple black rifles, but I already have a bunch of those. I am looking to buy a couple of tactical rifles in the near future and I dont have set ideas for what I must have.

I know very little about this action, but it seems like a good choice. One of the reasons I was going to get a 700 variant custom built rifle was because of the controlled feed, that and there are so damn many of them out there.

I have also been keeping on eye on the swede for awhile, and I would love an oportunity to get one in an affordable tac type package. I would be more than happy to invest in your development program, and get a damn good deal on a rifle as well! I will keep an eye eagerly on this thread. Just let me know if you are going to go through with it, the 6.5x55 is callin to me!

JRP3

·
Registered
565 Posts
If I lived in the US I've would've jumped at that offer, Mel. I really like the looks and sound of that action. And personally, if you can maintain your current price, then I think that looks like a sweet option.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen one of these before and they are very nice. And theyre cheap compared to other aftermarket actions. I know a gunsmith that really really likes them. I cant see how it wouldnt be better than a winchester or remington. Id deffinately try and build a rifle out ouf it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think you are going to get two groups of people on this subject with pretty much two mind sets.

"I want a Remington action because that is what the XXXXXX uses."

and the,

"Something better than the Remington? At half the price?! Wow, sounds great!"

As for me, I don't care either way. Technology and rifles can only do so much, a person still has to aim, and pull the trigger. I can do that with any action.

If you can sucessfully market a tactical rifle that uses a montana action, you are doing something damn good. I'd at least try it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The action idea sounds good mel, ive never really been one for brand loyalty. As long as it shoots well then im more than willing to consider it.
And if it'll drop the price on the rifle's any, then i know ALOT of people would be willing to consider it.

I actually might be willing to buy one mel, if it could be in .223. Whats the time frame your wanting on this cause i dont have the down payment lying around right now, but i could probably pick it up eventually.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm interested, although I don't have the cash to offer up for one right now. Would be good to hear how they shoot.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mel quick question. Is this action / bolt combo like a Remington, meaning that you can and possible need to have the action and bolt trued / lapped/ cleaned up to obtain optimal accuracy, or is it like a Nesika - not capable or in need of truing?

Since this is the same company that is making the barrels for the SC1s, will they give you / us a price break for going with a complete barreled action, and not just a barrell?

JeffVN

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

How compatable are they with other products..... bases.....stocks ....barrels....ect. I guess thats one of the reasons a lot of people go remington is because every aftermarket manufacturer out there makes stuff for them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds great, but I don't see any reason for you to lose money on it.

Of course I don't have any money, otherwise I'd get one quicker than you can say 'SC1'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GREAT idea Mel. Im very impressed. That montana action has all the features ive been looking for. i always like winchester more than remington but remington had strents as well. with your new action it appears to have the bes t of both worlds. very interested and more info is appriciated

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, the response has been good, and I have just taken an order for the 1st of the two prototypes! (6.5x55 long action).

A bit more details:
The actions have 5 venting ports in case of a catastrophic failure. These are very robust and safe actions.

The SC1 rifles (hum, I'll need a new designation... I guess SC3) will have lapped lugs and squared actions. While these actions are excellent, they still benefit from lapping and squaring.

Preliminary retial pricing (after the prototypes) indicates that the SC3 with Win Marksman Stock or the A1 will be $1450. Price for A2, A3, A4, and A5 will be $1700. I might be able to shave another $50 off of each one if I can get volume high enough.

Compatibilities:
Winchester triggers (after market or factory) are bolt on
Winchester Scope Bases fit
Barrels I believe are threaded with a standard threading.

Here are a few opinion questions for everyone:
1) Large bolt knobs? Are they preferred or not? I could shave some more off the price without them, but current pricing listed above is for a large bolt handle.

2) Stainless steel vs. chrome moly. For a little more money, the actions and barrels can be had in stainless vs. chrome moly. Personally, because of the teflon finish that will be on the rifles, I prefer Chrome Moly. The CM is a bit harder than Stainless and you will get a bit better barrel life, etc.

Thanks for input so far... this is exciting!

MEL

·
Registered
81 Posts
1) Large bolt knobs are always prefered

2) From a materials selection and metallugy standpoint, unless you plan on not taking care of your rifle, Chrome Moly allow steel is always a better material. Harder, stronger, stiffer, etc. Go alloy over stainless unless you plan on storing your rifle in a wet paper bag...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go alloy over stainless unless you plan on storing your rifle in a wet paper bag...
Hehehe... I found that comment very funny for some reason... but true.

I agree on the bolt knobs, but do want to be sure we are not the minority.
Thanks for the comments...

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like the look and the feel of the big knobs much better.

That doesn't sound good....

JRP3

PS The time on the posts is messin me up! This set to India time zone? hehe

·
Registered
565 Posts
Size matters.

But damn what an expensive little piece of aluminium!! Don't know what you have to pay in the US for the BO bolt-knob...but by todays exchangerate it's well over 80USD in Norway. That's just stupid. :roll:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, its not cheap putting the knobs on.

In terms of the time, its GMT.

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I hope I just read the last few posts out of context.... :oops:

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'll chime in here:

I'd definately go with the large bolt knob.

I'd also definately go with stainless steel. I live in Florida, trust me, I take care of my stuff, but the climate here is hell on anything made of carbon steel. I'll take the benefits of stainless over the benefits of carbon any day, teflon or not. I hope you'll at least consider it Mel.

Just my .02

P.S. does the half inch accuracy guarantee only apply to the 30 calibers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts