Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi boys I need more help I’m looking for the best scope long rang 1000 to 1500 yards in the $1,300 rang this is what I was looking at http://www.opticsspot.com/detail.aspx?ID=673
I would like your input thanks
:roll:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Zeiss makes very good optics, VERY high quality. that said, you could probably get a Leopold MK4 for the same price.. my $.02

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personally... id go with Leupold... but Zeiss does make good optics. There shouldnt be anything wrong with that scope for a 1,500 yard shot with the proper rifle.

BC

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hello
Zeiss makes some excelent optics, but you might won't a scope with finer adjustments, it has 1cm per click adjustment and that is almost a 1/2 MOA clicks where 1/4 MOA clicks would be prefurable.
Cliffy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Go for it man, you can not go wrong with a zeiss. For less money you can go with a lupy 8x24x50 or a 6.5x20x50. But the 56mm obj on the zeiss would be nice for those 1k shots.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Most of the european scopes, zeiss, swarviski etc used to have the cross hairs on a diffrent focal plane than the US optics.(first or second focal plane?Can't remember what is what) What does that mean? With a zeiss when you increase the power of a scope the size of the cross hairs increase. A disadvantage with long range precision shots. I have been out of shooting for a while so things may have changed. The zeiss optics are an exellant optic and this diffrent focal plane has other advantages, I can't remember what they are now.

With US style optics as the power and thus size of the target in your scope increases the crosshairs remain the same size.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The front focal plane scopes allow the Mil-dot mesurements to be accurate at all magnifications. Not just maximum. A direct advantage in Long Range Precision Shooting.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
spade said:
The front focal plane scopes allow the Mil-dot mesurements to be accurate at all magnifications. Not just maximum. A direct advantage in Long Range Precision Shooting.
Exactly...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
But one question we have not asked. Number of adjustments, and what caliber are we shooting at those ranges. This Zeiss only has 57 inches at 100 yards (roughly 57 MOA). Even with a 20 MOA rail, this will not be enough to get you to 1500 yards with 99% of the calibers. For those kind of ranges you need mega adjustments, and for $1300 your choices drop to just a very few. One would be the Leupold Mark 4 16x with M1 knobs. This scope has 140 MOA of adjustments, and of course, excellent lenses and tube construction.

Depends a lot on caliber, you'll need to figure out the amount of MOA you'll need to get to those ranges.

MEL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi bead I am building a 300 ultra mag 200-220 gr
The Nightforce NXS 8x32x56 is starting to look good :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts