Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
been lurkin' around for a few months , getting info on rifles etc.(excelent info BTW)
After 35 yrs of not owning any weapons / firearms, I have bought 3 in the last 30 days :D
Sprinfield .45 GAP XD
hehehehe a SKS with a synth. stock and a shotgun scope
Remington 700 .243 with an older Simmons scope. SN starts with an E

I have always used others rifles / pistols. I didnt think I was too bad of a shot, well compared to the people that owned them ( I shot equal or better).

Here is my question(s):
On the 700 I am hitting within an 8" target ( no groups just all over) @ 219 yards (200 Meters). Is this poor / fair/ sorry?
I have put a Harris Bi-pod on it so I can keep her more stable.
the eye relief is a bit close and keeps whackin' my rt eye ( thank goodness for my shooter glasses).
HOW can I fix it from hitting me, and any suggestions for keeping my grouping a bit tighter? Have popped off around 120 rounds through it.

On the SKS I keep in within the same size target at 100 yards. I guess that is as good as it gets?

And on the .45 GAP, that freakin' ammo aint cheap!

Total expenses:
SKS (paind 175.00) with a soft case, scope , mount , rings, 2 30 rnd clips, 1 10 rnd clip, and 1000 rounds. $570.00 (close to the amount)

700 with hard case 60 rounds, bi-pod, $425.00

XD $530.00 with 150 rounds, still have 25 left. ( this was a kit deal, handgun, 2 clips, case, 50 rounds and lock) Good deal?

and an assortment of cleaning supplies / gunsmithing tools.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The accuracy on the Rem 700 all depends on what specific Model 700 it is and what kind of ammo you are using. Try different kinds of ammo, generally speaking, varmint, hunting, and especially match ammo is more accurate than just regular ammo.

The SKS should be about " pie plate " good at 100 yards.

The XD in .45 GAP with the ammo and everything is a pretty good price. I have been eyeing a 9mm XD for plinking and it comes with the case and 2 mags for $515 + tax and dros fee's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot ....
I have owned a couple of .380 pistols about 12 years ago.
A Taurus ( dont laugh , I paid 50 bux and it lasted 30 or so rounds on a range before the slide BROKE, yes broke, slap azz in half) and a .. i think a Ruger, cant remember, my uncle paid me 150 bux for it I paid $75.

As for the ammo (.243), I have been using Win. 80 grain soft point Super X, seems more accurate than PMC.
The 700 has no model #. At One of the ranges the Smith told me it was produced in the late '90's S/N starts with an "E".
24" barrell. 3 rd cap., and a Scope that looks like a Simmons, "Boresighter" is on the rim.
The barrell just has "Model 700" and .243 on it.
Leupold site base, and not sure on the rings.
I shot about 60 rounds through it on last wed. 3 rounds, 2 were within 1/2", the 3rd was off by 1-3". After getting whacked by recoil, it played a mental game with me. got back on track and was within 3 inches of a clay pigeon at 200 yrds.
I breath in, out , hold shoot. I am thinking it may be the scope. simple crosshairs. Zero'd it for 100 yrds.

The sticker on the XD was 469.00 , same kit.
I think he may do a mail order, not sure , I cant get you the number if ya like.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you have the capability of posting pictures on here? ( digital camera or scanner for regular pictures? )

There are many different specifications of the Remington Model 700. Here are all the ones that i know of.

Remington Model 700 variants :

• BDL
• CDL
• CDL LH
• Classic
• LSS
• LV SF
• Mountain Rifle DM
• Mountain Rifle LSS
• SPS
• SPS DM
• SPS Stainless
• SPS Youth
• Titanium
• VLS
• VSF
• VSF LH
• VSSF-II
• XCR
• XCR RMEF
• P
• LTR
• P LTR
• 40-XB Tactical
• 40-XS
• M24
• M24A2 ( still in testing / not 100% finished project )

As you can see there are quite alot of different Remington M-700 rifle's. This list does not include custom shop configurations and after market customized rifles found world wide.

You can go to http://www.remington.com/firearms/cente ... erfire.htm and click on each variant of the Rem 700 and see which one is yours. Then post back on the forum which exact model you own and we can give you a more accurate answer.

All of the Remington 700's that i can think of in .243 Win caliber will hold 4 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber for a total of 5. I beleive you mentioned yours holds only 3 in the mag, so it may be a discontinued model.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Outsider said:
Here is my question(s):
On the 700 I am hitting within an 8" target ( no groups just all over) @ 219 yards (200 Meters). Is this poor / fair/ sorry?
I have put a Harris Bi-pod on it so I can keep her more stable.
the eye relief is a bit close and keeps whackin' my rt eye ( thank goodness for my shooter glasses).
HOW can I fix it from hitting me, and any suggestions for keeping my grouping a bit tighter? Have popped off around 120 rounds through it.

You say hitting withinn an 8' pie at 200m but that does not tell us much really. Get a ruler or calipers and measure the largest width of bullets. The proper way is measure outside edge to outside edge and subtract the bullet diameter. for groups that are a bit larger than one hole measure outside edge to inside edge of the holes farthest apart. We can better gauge how you are doing.

As for improvement buy some snap caps and dry fire daily. Dont do it whan you are tired, just concentrate on doing it correctly and stop before you get tired and make mistakes. It sound like the eye relief may be off for you as well on your scope. Also when you shoot allow your bbl to cool between shots. Don't fire whan the bbl gets hot. Shoot 5 shot groups and see where you are hitting.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I went and bought a New Nikon Buckmaster scope. 4.5-14x40.
Dragged my feet to long and didnt get many rounds off to dial it in @ 100 yards. BUT, it does look and seem more crisp!

Anyhow, as for the 700 Nothing on the barrell except "Model 700"
and a serial number (starts with an "E").
It does however have a synthetic stock. I am going to send my info on it to Remington and see what I get in return.
Looking around online and taking a guess , the 700 ADL seems to be the one. It also has a front site, I'll send an email off to Remington and let you all know. I didn't realize they are in NC, hell I could whip my big ol 18 in and ask them!

As for my MOA on an 8" target, RIIIIIGHT! LOL
I get two within a 2" center, and one way the hell down to the left,right, up , down. LOL I guess I am expecting to much on my abilities, But at the same time if I get 2 @ 2" centers why cant I get 3?
I am gonna guess, it is ME ( will see with the new scope), not the rifle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Outsider said:
I breath in, out , hold shoot.
I hope your trigger squeeze isn't as abrupt as the word "shoot" in that sentence. Are you treating each shot gently or are you paying more attentin to when you fire than how you fire?

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
OK, now we are getting somewhere. The rifle is a basic Rem 700.The diffrence between the ADL and BDL is minimal as far as accuracy goes, just some features. 2" groups at 200 m is pretty good and probably what the rifle is capable of. It is hard to know without being there, but my GUESS is you are not staying with your follow through. Dry fire like I said, but be sure to hold the rifle in position for a couple of secinds before you try to look at your target. What happens is people want to see where they hit, so they squeez the trigger then try to look at the target and the bullet is still in the bbl and you move it. Be sure to follow through and that will prevent this.

Another thing is the bbl could be hot by the 3rd shot. When a bbl heats up the point of impact changes. Sometimes this is very small, other times it is very large, or something in between. Let your bbl cool between shots and see if that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ekaphoto yer da man!
I never thought about a follow through on shooting.
SO I guess I should see where my point of aiming is AFTER the shot?
Actually I take my time wehn sighting the bullseye, breath system, squeez trigger ( just for you dead_I_5_0 :D ), still looking through the scope see where I hit.
The bbl does get fairly hot after 3 shots so I wait about 5 or so min. between sets.

hummm, now that I think about it ........
When I shoot my.45 or SKS. after trigger pull the weapon is pointed right where I was aiming, or pretty close. With the .243 I am off to the right a good bit, I thought it was just the recoil. maybe It is not against my shoulder firmly.
I have done a bit of dry fire ( need caps for that BTW). This is strange to me... with an empty chamber the trigger seems easier to pull, on the range is seems harder, I thought it was mental.

dead_I_5_0,
Well the SKS and .45, I squeze the trigger fairly smooth.
The .243 is alot harder, have asked "ED" the shop owner about lowering the pressure to around 1.5 lbs. He keeps giving me the runaround. First it was "shoot 100 rounds and let me know" then yesterday it was "shoot 250 rounds and let me know, the rifle I sold to the previous owner, he didn't fire it much, let the spring loosen up , then we can adjust it".

Now physics is one of my hobbies, and I am thinking that the trigger will "break in" after 50 rounds, just to get the gunk out of it(even though I cleaned it for 2 -3 hours , about 3 or 4 cleanings at once). After that it will be as "broke in" as it is gonna get , right?

I did switch over to Rem 100gr. core-lok express ( wally world has em for 12 bux a box), so that will throw in a monkey wrench. I will have to use them from now til I get my reloader.

You guys have been great, and I am glad to see my shots are not too poor.
Now it seems to be technic rather than the rifle.
After hunting season, I wll start looking for a 308 or 300.
maybe swap the SKS for a nice long range rifle.

Also, I own my own 18 wheeler and travel all over the country. Mostly east of I-35, in the cooler season dragging MALS-14 gear from NC to Yuma.
So if anyone near Yuma or TX from Shreveport to El Pisso and wouldnt mind taking a day and going to a range lemme know I can time my trip for a shooting session.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You might want to think about buying a good rimfire to practice the fundamentals of accuracy with. A lot of us here do, and it does help.

1) You can have it for $200
2) No distracting recoil and not very loud
3) Ammo is 15 dollars for 500 rounds
4) It's fun :D

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
As for your trigger pull, it will get better with lots of rounds fired due to the parts polishing each other, but it takes lot more than 50 rounds. Also most people are reluctant to do trigger work since there is a liability with it. Look aroung for a reputable gunsmith that will do trigger work.

Also Muzz's suggestion of a .22 is a good one. Many people even use a quality air gun for practice, although a .22 is about the same cost and is more versitale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok,
Your suggestions were top-notch!
Results from range today.
Reset the sites @ 50 meters, 1/8" groups.
Fired off 10 rounds @ 100 meters to re-zero
high , lower, Perfect!
Here is how it went:
2 rounds within 1/8" 3rd round 1.5" off to left lower.
second go
2 rounds within 1/8" waited 5 or so min. 3 rd round within 1/8" of other 2.
I am using the 8" targets that have the black over orange.
continued on at that MO.
Demolished the bullseye!
2 things I changed,
1.) Pulled the stock tighter to my shoulder
2.) two rounds wait 5 min or so
this made the fellas on the range a bit jealous :lol:

New Nikon scope helped alot!
I am sure the bbl is too thin for the shooting I wish to do. (range anyhow).
Is there a heavy .243 bbl for this rifle?
I ahave searched and to no avail

·
Registered
347 Posts
sounds like you had a good day at the range. Congratulations! I just got back myself and was so disappointed with my rifle that I'm buying a new one next paycheck!! I know it wasn't my shooting because i shot good groups with some other rifles today...stupid surplus rifle is the problem. Good job on your shooting though!

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Find a premium grade bbl then have a good gunsmith put it on. Shilin, douglass, montana rifleman etc. They come in diffrent conturs and range in price from about $200 and up. You will probably need another stock to fit the new bbl since the bbl channel is made for a thinner stock. Again look around. The Rem 700 has lot of stuff to get. To have the gunsmith rebarrel the rifle will cost you a little, but since he has it apart you just as well have him blueprint the action, ie true up all the lugs, bolt face etc, another chunk of change. You are looking at at least $500 or more for a proper rebarrel job including bbl etc. The good thing about doing it this way is two fold. Number one you can buy the parts as you get them and spread it around. Second of all IF you get a GOOD gunsmith that knows what they are doing, the rifle will be more accurate than anything you can buy off the shelf. Just be sure that the guy who does the work really knows what they are doing. There are a lot of hacks out there that claim to be good, but are not.

EDIT: forgot to say good shooting.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Or you could always send it to Mele and have him work his magic on it! You'll be hard pressed to beat his prices!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Truly nice shooting man!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
lonewolf said:
Or you could always send it to Mele and have him work his magic on it! You'll be hard pressed to beat his prices!
+1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well crapper LOL, if Im gonna drop another 5 bills, I might as well get a Savage 10fp with a Choate stock, and the heavy barell, switch over the Nikon scope, :lol:
I may consider it. a .308 that is
here is a pic of my newly hurt target, if it was a deer we'd have some yummys for dinner toinght!

I know it is only 15 shots , but I reserved 5 rounds for a steel pig @ 200 meters. Hit that sucker 3 outta 5 times.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
While the savage shoots well, it will be nothing like what your Rem will shoot if you let Mel work it over for you. On the other hand buying a second rifle is always a good option. also the 243 can be changed to .308 easly. The .243 is a .308 case necked down to fit in a 6mm/243 dia bullet. If you have never shot a rifle that has been worked over well, you are truly missing something. On the other hand it also spoils you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts