Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Hum, I wonder if a load could be worked up with a 7mm08 with this bullet for long range application? I heard a few months back that Sierra was going to develop this bullet based off of the success of their 142 .264 bullet.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Yes, it most certainly would. I think the ideal mating of this bullet would be in the 7mm WSM.

Now, what twist are we needing to stabilize this bullet, as its heavier than the standard offerings in 7mm and I wonder if most rifles could stabilize it.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Hey, a gentleman sent me an email last night pointing out hornady's 7mm 162gr A-Max, so I took a look. If their BC numbers are to be believed, the BC is an amazing .625

Mad, do you know if the 7mm-08 can push a 162 at 2750 fps?

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
madgunsmith said:
I doubt it.

Not enough case capacity. But you would be able to get there using a 280 Remington, .284 Winchester or a 7x64mm.
and

I would agree, however, that a straight 284 Winchester will get your 162 AMax to nearly 2,900 using the same powders and a 26" barrel.
Yes, that is true, but I want to stick to short action, and only 24" tube.... oh well, just a thought.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Okay, I'm starting to bite on the .284 Win. Looking at the data on hodgdons web page, it looks like 2800 is doable with the 162gr hornady. If that .625 BC is to be believed, that would be one very nice long range cartridge, and in a short action with fat case. Could be a good combo.

Mad, and others: what has the consensus been on hornady's BC claims? Looking at their other bullets, they seem in the ball park with sierra and others. Perhaps this bullet really is that good?

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Jeffvn:

Yeah, I've heard the same about the BC's of Berger bullets being inflated. But I do not know much about JLK bullets. I would prefer an easy to get bullet by a major manufacture. The reason I am looking is for the "flagship" loading for SC2's. What I am DREAMING of is a 6.5 of 128-135gr with a BC around .575. Lapua has a 123 at .547 and a 139 at .615, Norma has a 130 at .548, and sierra's 142 is .580. Right now my choice is the lapua 123.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Jeffvn said:
Remember that the Lapua 123 is actually only a 108 grain bullet (the name is confusing - at least it was to me early on), so you can push it significantly faster than the 120-130 grain projectiles at far less pressure. Depending upon the cartridge used (.260 versus teh 6.5x284 vs the 6.5x55) there is a point where the Lapua 123s speed overtakes the higher BC of the heavier bullets (except in the wind).
Errrr..... now I'm confused! There is both a lapua 123gr at .547 BC and also a 108gr with a BC of .478. Are you saying the 123gr is really not 123gr??

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Oh... good. I'm glad I wasn't off my rocker!! Sorry to hear about the software, hopefully they will get it right!

The 123gr is a great bullet, the perfect match for the .260 in my opinion. The 139 and 142 Sierra MK are fantastic for 6.5x284. Any source on more affordable 6.5x284 brass? When I saw hornady started offering it I thought prices would go way down, but it turns out their brass is more than Lapua!

MEL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.