Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Are sniping video games a good or bad idea?

• More interest in sniping is not a bad thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This game should never have been made

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this yet?

Scroll down for movies and photos.

Caution some shots may contain simulated violence.

The game claims to have BDC adjustments.

Sorry if this is old news to anyone.

-snowy

· Registered
515 Posts
!

Cool Sniping game comes out.

More people think long range shooting is cool.

Some go out and buy nice Sniper rifles.

Later they find out how hard and how much practice goes into long range shooting.

They go back to video games and sell almost new sniper rifles for half the paid price.

Where is the problem???

Bottom line is if someone crazy person wants to go buy a Sniper rifle and learn to shoot one on a video game or the many simulated programs on the internet there is no stoping them......most wont cause a handgun or shotgun is much cheaper and requires little skill.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
i dont think video games are the best training for marksmanship and if someone wanted to buy a rifle, put a scope on it, take out a target at a distance with it, nothing could really stop that... not banning guns, not banning sniper video games, etc

but criminals and gangstas generally settle for cheap pistols cause a lot of them cant hit the broad side of a barn anyway

· Registered
2,904 Posts
specially the games that all the very realistic guns shoot lazers :lol: cough: halo : cough----plus the zillion others

dom

· Registered
236 Posts
most wont cause a handgun or shotgun is much cheaper and requires little skill.
not to be too offtopic, but to be perfect at either of those, does require quite a bit of training...

but on topic - ive heard of this game, and it sounds interesting not just because of the realisticish things youd have to do, but the general gameplay looks nice graphicaly and appears to play good as well

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Right.

You can play all the video games you want to. Does a Microsoft Flight Sim mean anyone would want to fly on a 747 I was piloting? Nope. Didn't think so. Anyone who answered "yes" needs a check-up from the neck up.

There is NO substitute for thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours anyway, so keep rolling out the games.

· Registered
929 Posts
shikaku said:
most wont cause a handgun or shotgun is much cheaper and requires little skill.
not to be too offtopic, but to be perfect at either of those, does require quite a bit of training...
With little training/practice (an hour or two at the range) you can seriously wound a number of people.

When it comes to a long-range rifle, a person is not going to bother to learn how to use range estimation, recover ballistic information for the round used, and learn how to compensate for said bullet drop. Thus, when the idiot zeros in his rifle at 100 yards and tries to make shots at 6xx yards, he'll miss all over the place and hopefully be quickly removed from society.

Scatch Maroo

· Registered
37 Posts
Sniping in video games usually consists of holding the crosshairs over the target and pulling the trigger. I have never seen a game where bullets fly in anything but a straight line. Additionally, the screen resolution and limitations in the POV and visible space make sniping games unrealistic. I like playing WW2 games and tactical simulations, and I think that they do build SOME tactical and strategic skills, especially when played against other human players. I was a programmer at Midway games for about 2 years, during which they came under lots of fire for violent video games. Video games will always give people ideas, as will any type of media. I have a hard time finding anything wrong with that.
I have not played any games with realistic physics applied to ballistics. I'm not sure why this is often overlooked, but from my experience realism makes games too hard for some players. Tracers that arc off towards the horizon and lose speed as they go would look really cool, especially from a distance.
Anyway, games are fun, but only to a certain extent. I think we can all agree that a day at the range is much more enjoyable than a day in front of a TV.

· Registered
34 Posts
Whats the name of the game? In my opinion yeah alot of kids get some bad ideas from video games and television but I mean the crap is every where, it's up to the parents to raise there children right so they dont turn out to be some homicidal maniac with a high powered rifle or any other weapon for that matter. Take this kid I know for example: The kid has just about every shoot em up game you could ever imagine for the ps2,does that mean one day hes going to end up running around poping people off in a homemade ghillie suit ,hell no cause our mom raised us the right way.

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey I just saw a review of "Sniper Elite" or something like that on TV. Looks like the same kind of thing you're talking about Mel. I don't think it will be as realistic though. My first hint of that is the main character is a Special Forces sniper in WWII. I don't think there were many of those... Was that the other game someone mentioned?

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Yeah, I had a keen interest in this game when it was first announced. But it is very arcadish... it needs to be as its suppose to be a main stream money making game. It adds more realism then previous games, but is still really not a simulator... and from what I have heard/read, a long shot is about 200 meters....

MEL

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Ok. It was a review on "X-Play" on G4 that I saw. I'd put money on yours being much more realistic since you're not a game programmer with military consultants like those guys. That doesn't surprise me that they don't get out real far either, they always sacrifice some realism for "game play". They probably want to sell it to as many people as possible where you're only concering yourself with a specific group, people who are willing to sacrifice some "gameplay" for realism.

· Registered
58 Posts
Sniper Elite "Review"

Good points about the game:

Does have BDC, and Wind compensation. But this is limited to the notches in your scope, you cant make adjustments to your scope to change your zero.

Consealed shots are better for you.

Using thigns like your pistol or an smg get you alot of dammage. So you want to stay at a long range.

You can set traps for the enemy, like a russian nade tied to a wire, then put TNT next to it to take out the squad, or just shoot the TNT.

Some times you shoot some one in the chest and a frendly will come to pick them up and carry them off. This can set up some traps too.

Negitive points:
A long shot starts at 31m (ugh). Head shots count for a kill, but ever where else takes two shots to kill some one. Longest shot I got was 194 and that was extreme, 109 was consirded really long. Most shots were about 50-70m.

Not alot of places to hide (it's damn bright ever where. Even in the night missions.)

It is a scripted based game. Meaning that you must go here for your target to come out, or you must kill the tank for to have an air strike to start. I'd rather have it that their a tank over their and a patrol over their, and their doing their thing, then you can do yours. Not like what they do is based on what you do.

All the weaponds were semi auto (inculding the bolt action Mossin Nagant 91/30). This also killed me, I was not taking alot of time to line up shots. I really wanted to have a semi auto, but no.

I had to kill every person in the mission. I wans't so much a sniper as i was an army of one with a scope. Yes you can hide, but only to shoot, not move.

The biggest problem was the enemy AI, I'd shoot some one and his buddie would run right at me (good for a shot, but not to hide). Or after I killed one of them i would jump in a sewer and right on the other side he would be waiting for me even thow he did not see me.

Mel, please include a shooting range in your game. It killed me to be in the filed and find my first guy 45m out and had to shoot him but did not know how much the bullet droped (@ 195m, it is 6 notches, and at 45 it is about 3.5 notches) or how the wind would effect the bullet. Another thing is having big maps (not a problem for the torque engin) with dark hiding places or some place that is other than just behind some rubble.

If any one else gets desperate to play the game, I recomend setting at expert level (wind, gravity and your body position effect shooting).

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Teryan said:
Mel, please include a shooting range in your game. It killed me to be in the filed and find my first guy 45m out and had to shoot him but did not know how much the bullet droped (@ 195m, it is 6 notches, and at 45 it is about 3.5 notches) or how the wind would effect the bullet. Another thing is having big maps (not a problem for the torque engin) with dark hiding places or some place that is other than just behind some rubble.
uh.... thats a dang good idea!! I'll just add a simple mission setup at the range so people can get familiar with the shooting. Thanks for the idea.

MEL

· Registered
2,904 Posts
Nice job teryan. I think a shooting range would be cool also mel! :D

dom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts