Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Are sniping video games a good or bad idea?

• More interest in sniping is not a bad thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This game should never have been made

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
first off im only 20 and have not had much real life long range shooting but i have the consept down
any ways i was playing BF2 and they were talking about realistic physics and how great they were in this new game i'm sure that a bunch of computer programers know the realistic physics of every thing they're adding in anyway the sniper class has a ghillie suit on (not bad if you could add foilage to it) OR they actually had bushes and other types of vegitation and theres nothing worse than a big green wookie in the middle of a city any way they insist they have bullet drop off which i would be fine with IF! you could see farther than 250yrds or could actually compansate your rifle with zeroing for ranges other than 50yrds.

thats me ranting sorry

· Registered
37 Posts
I've been playing Sniper Elite for a few days now, and I think it's OK.
Graphics and controls are very good.
I like the way they handled windage/range estimation and hold over points. The scopes are pretty low power (this is WWII) and most shots are < 200 yards so far, so a scope with a fixed zero is not really a limitation in this game. Kentucky windage is good enough.
Enemy AI is not too bad. There are snipers on rooftops who can be difficult to find, although they always know where you are. They peek out, take a shot and then dissapear for a while, sometimes changing locations.
The scripting is pretty good, generally you have to hit certain map points to set scripts into motion like most games. Most games are written this way to keep the CPU utilization to a minimum and because it is simpler from a progamming perspective. I think it is done well enough in this game to keep it interesting. I have played some levels 4 or 5 times with different results, so there is a good amount of variability and randomness to the scripts.
You are not forced to take specific routes, there are usually many inderect paths to an objective, and some of the paths don't show up on the map (sewer tunnels, alleys, inside buildings, etc). This is a huge plus.
You get more points for doing covert shots, detonations, multiple kill shots, etc. This kind of stuff is good for gamers, as is the 'bullet cam' mode on kill shots.

The maps are not very large, and are all in Berlin so far. There is lots of cover, although most of it is road barricades, craters and crumbling buildings. It is very difficult to do natural foliage well in a game, so maybe it is a good thing that they did not try too much.

I do not like the voices and other audio in the game. There is not enough sound data to make it interesting, most of it is loops of Katyusha rocket batteries, artilliery shells and people screaming. The enemies all speak some kind of pseudo-Russian, and have a very limited vocabulary. They like to repeat themselves loudly until you shoot them. I'm not sure why they did this. If I could improve anything in this game, it would be the audio and the maps. I was also dissapointed to find no head to head deathmatch on the PS2 version. 2 player coop is fun, but I have not tried the multiplayer online battles yet.
I have been dissapointed with a lot of WW2 games recently, this one is a nice change.

· Registered
30 Posts
Is it true that you blow up tanks but shooting the fuel tanks?...If so its kinda unrealistic...for one thing tank fuel cells are armored...and they use diesal which will not explode very easily... :? I just saw the review never played the game so I dont know for sure so...

· Registered
58 Posts
Yes that is true, and most of the tanks you see you have to blow up with a shot to the fuel tank.

@ butane_bob, glad you like it. But have you tried other games like Brothers in Arms or Call of Duty 1 or 2? I hate scripting and I hate it with a passion. Almost all console have scrips beacuse their (until xmass 05) out dated computers by about 3 years. Have you tried Operation Flash Point? I think that is a much more relistic game for sniping than SE (and no scripting :p ).

PS I am selling my version of SE on e-bay if any one else is intrested in it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Current bid is for $9.99...

· Registered
7 Posts
Sniping in video games usually consists of holding the crosshairs over the target and pulling the trigger. I have never seen a game where bullets fly in anything but a straight line. Additionally, the screen resolution and limitations in the POV and visible space make sniping games unrealistic. I like playing WW2 games and tactical simulations, and I think that they do build SOME tactical and strategic skills, especially when played against other human players. I was a programmer at Midway games for about 2 years, during which they came under lots of fire for violent video games. Video games will always give people ideas, as will any type of media. I have a hard time finding anything wrong with that.
I have not played any games with realistic physics applied to ballistics. I'm not sure why this is often overlooked, but from my experience realism makes games too hard for some players. Tracers that arc off towards the horizon and lose speed as they go would look really cool, especially from a distance.
Anyway, games are fun, but only to a certain extent Watch Chicago Bulls Games. I think we can all agree that a day at the range is much more enjoyable than a day in front of a TV.
Hi please recommend some good sniper games. thank you

21 - 28 of 28 Posts