Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

New Stock Options (not NYSE)

10K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  snowy 
#1 ·
Hey Mel, I noticed you are finally offering the McHale stock for the SC1. I'm just assuming that's this is for an internal mag or single shot correct? I know there were discussions about the whole PH M85 10 rounders but I figured since you didn't mention it, it wasn't on there. Also, the McHale is not yet an option for the SC3's yet. Is that because they are not compatibale or what? I'm guessing if one were to want an SC3MH that it would be the same price as the A5's. As for the 10 rounder on the SC3, how much would that run me?

BuckSlayer

#2 ·
Okay, a few more details.

Yes, the McHale is now offered on the SC1 rifles. This is with a traditional BDL floor plate. The McHale stock has a completely flat lower portion of the stock, there is no taper in the magazine area that the remington is designed for. Because of this, the front portion of the floor plate is inletted a bit deeper than the rear portion, which might be a bit odd to some, but you do not normally even notice it unless looking for it.

Right now, there is no 10 round option on the SC1. I do plan on building a SCM85 prototype that will be a lose replica of a Parker Hale 85 with the detachable magazine. But its fairly low priority project right now unless someone wanted to fund/purchase the prototype.

The reason the McHale is not listed on the SC3 is because I just haven't tested one to see if it'll work as needed and if McMillan will inlet for it. If there is an interest in a SC3MH, I'll be happy to do a little research to see if its possible. I have no reason to think that it would not be.

There is no current ability to add a 10 round detachable box magazine to the SC3 (MT Rifleman) action. Sorry.

Hope I answered your questions.

MEL

#3 ·
mele said:
I do plan on building a SCM85 prototype that will be a lose replica of a Parker Hale 85 with the detachable magazine. But its fairly low priority project right now unless someone wanted to fund/purchase the prototype.
:shock:

If you don't want to post specific info on this project on the board I understand.

Lets just say I have an interest.

-snowy

#4 ·
Sure, I suppose this is as good a place as any:

The SCM85 is designed to look similar to the parkerhale M85, though will not be an exact replica. It is based on the Remington 700 Short action and will have the following:

HS Precision (or possibly BO) 10 round detachable box magazine
McMillan McHale stock with adjustable spacer system
front mounted spigot WITH harris bi-pod
24.5" Montana Rifleman #5 Heavy Sporter barrel (hand lapped)
Large Bolt knob

I am thinking of aux sites, but have not found anything I really like (yet... I'm open to suggestions here)

The price I would more than likey sell them for, once ready, would be $2100 which includes everything above (including bi-pod). For the prototype, I could knock some off of that.....

MEL

#6 ·
Y'know, every time we talk about this, I feel better about it. I'm not in a position right now to fund the project, but I will be at the end of summer at the latest (sellin one of my cars). If you don't have a taker by that time for the prototype, I may be your man. Snowy, I agree about the irons too. I don't wanna be more trouble for Mel so I maybe wouldn't order it with them but that's always an option for another gunsmith.

BuckSlayer

#13 ·
Now don't everybody pounce on these guys...

Remember we are trying to get them to help Mel. Be polite.
Let them know there is a strong interest, but don't scare them.

http://www.sabredefence.com/

Sabre Defence Industries, LLC
450 Allied Drive
Nashville, TN 37211
Phone: 615-333-0077
Fax: 615-333-6229

Charlie Shearon - General Manager
c.shearon@sabredefence.com

They are a UK based company, but it looks like everything they build is made here in the U.S.

We are trying to get you wholesale access to some actions and emergency irons right Mel? Anything else?

-snowy

#15 ·
Alright I spoke to Mr. Charlie Shearon, he set me up a phone meeting with gentleman in charge of weapons for tomorrow. He say he thinks there is a chance that they have a small amount of original M85 actions in the U.K. that a small group of us could lay our hands on.

Quite exciting. :D

Everyone over there is quite friendly and didn't seem to mind doing business with a small group.

No need to bombard.

I'll post an update on my meeting tomorrow.

-snowy

#16 ·
I actually talked with sabre industries about 3 years ago when they were going full bore to re-introduce the M85. I was slated to get one of the first rifles that made it to US shores.... unfortunately, it never came to pass. Snowy, when you are talking to them, see if they still plan to bring the M85 back (I believe they have the manufacturing rights). If not, we'll take what ever we can get!!

MEL

#17 ·
The first question I asked Charlie Shearon was "do you plan to bring the M85 back and if so when?"

He said other projects keep coming up.
Since company looks like they make most of their money from carbine sales, I can see how the M85 would get pushed to the side.

I asked if they owned the tooling and the rights and he said they did.

I told him I was representative of a small group of devoted M85 fans and then I asked if we could get a small batch of actions and irons make up.

He replied, "I think we have a few original actions in storage in the U.K."
I asked him about the possibility of getting even five and he told me I needed to talk to the man I'm going to be speaking with today.

So I'll keep you posted. I know a bit of machine shop jive, so I'm hoping we meet on mutual admiration for the action.

Here's hoping... :oops:

-snowy

#19 ·
Alright, here's the deal.

Sabre wants to produce the M85, they just need to be convinced about the viability.

I talked with Grant Morgan. The real reason the rifles are not in current production is because the casts for the M85 action were made on out of date non-U.S. compatible molds.
They have the specs, they just don't know if the investment to bring the casts up to date is worth it.

I asked him what what the absolute minimum order would need to be to get the ball rolling.

He said 500 orders.

There has got to be 500 people out there who want the M85.

Everyone start getting names and e-mail addresses together.
Lets start e-mailing.
Post on every board you know of or frequent.

Mr. Morgan told me he gets on average, 10 calls a week regarding the M85.

There is enough demand for this company to start a supply. We just need to prove it to them.

-snowy

#21 ·
I say we only ask for parts.
That cuts their overhead down a lot. If we just get the actions, floor plates and irons that should keep costs down.

I'm thinking of a form letter.
Something along the lines of us all being active shooters and if allowed to assemble our own M85s their presence on shooting ranges and web boards will stimulate interest even further.

I say we keep at them and then we'll see about costs. Most likely they will just produce the whole rifle if interest is enough, but it never hurts to try.

-snowy

#22 ·
Ok, can someone explain to me the facination with this rifle? I read the review along time ago, but why is this such a desirable rifle?

#25 ·
Lemme talk to keislers snowy. If i can get keislers to buy a couple hundred rifles to peddle out to LE agencies and stuff mabye we can work out something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.