Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never shot a firearm in my life before moving to the states Especially shooting long range changed my mind and i found a passion that i never knew existed. I went shooting with friends a couple of times and visited a few gun ranges but am now looking into getting a own rifle. Because i am so new to this and it never was a topic for me in Germany i have almost no knowledge about firearms... I was reading about long range rifles on the internet but the mass of information overwhelmed me and often was to technical for me. I stumbled over this forum and am hoping to get some opinions on my idea of the first rifle for me to start out with.
thanks in advance lenny

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have never shot a firearm in my life before moving to the states Especially shooting long range changed my mind and i found a passion that i never knew existed. I went shooting with friends a couple of times and visited a few gun ranges but am now looking into getting a own rifle. Because i am so new to this and it never was a topic for me in Germany i have almost no knowledge about firearms... I was reading about long range rifles on the internet but the mass of information overwhelmed me and often was to technical for me. I stumbled over this forum and am hoping to get some opinions on my idea of the first rifle for me to start out with.
thanks in advance lenny
Welcome to america:) I hope it's as good to you as it has been to me:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
LD shooting can be addictive. There are elements of experimentation and discovery in the process most follow. Welcome to the sport.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gib deinem Ersparten einen Abschiedskuss. Dieses Hobby kann die Haut vom Arsch kosten. Viel Glueck wuenscht dir ein augewanderter Saarlaender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Lennie1 and welcome to the states. I have worked at Volkswagen and Mercedes so I know many German guys and some of them have fallen in love with shooting sports. When they have asked me, I have done my best to guide them. What rifle to get depends on how much you want to spend. If you want an entry level rifle, there are several good options. Ruger RPR would be a good place to start. Also Savage also makes some capable long range rifles. I suggest a varmint model (heavy barrel) Remington 700 in .243 That will get you in the game and if you want to have it customized later, a gunsmith can make some very good upgrades and refinements. Put it in a chassis and upgrade the trigger first. The rest can come later. The best advice I can give you in a short post is don't buy a cheap optic. The glass is not the place to try to save money. Budget the most you can afford and then stretch that a little. You will often hear shooters express regret for buying a cheap scope. You will never hear a shooter say, "This is an excellent optic but it cost too much. I wish I had bought something cheaper". I have several high end scopes and yes they cost a lot but they are worth every penny. I have a Schmidt & Bender and my only regret is that I didn't buy one 20 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lenny welcome

There is a lot of information and yes it can be overwhelming.

Starting out I always like to ask people, do you have a budget in mind and how long of a range do you have easy access to.

Do you hope / plan to shoot competitions in the next year or is this a couple times a month hobby?

I think bang for the buck the ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor will be hard to beat. I recently took a friends father out. With in an hour we had him ranged and he was clanking steel at 1100 yards.

The most impressive part to blame was the factory hornady ammo which was shooting 2700fps. The box is rated at 2710fps. That is probably the best I’ve seen in real world numbers vs advertised and the standard deviation was 10fps which again for factory ammo is excellent. What that amounts to is consistency at a level you typically would not see in a factory rifle with factory ammo.

Next I would look at the tikka line. They have one of my favorite actions and a damn good trigger. The CTR line is excellent and if the budget allows for it their new TAC A1 is awesome.

Scopes: well in away good luck. There are so many good options these days. Again without knowing a budget it would be hard to advise.
On the cheap end there is the SWFA super sniper fixed 10x. Original or HD you can get the original as a kit with rings for $300 fronSWFA and it is a lot of scope for the money.

Vortex PST is a good scope at a reasonable price with an amazing warranty.

With a scope go MIL / MIL this is where the click value in the turrets will match the reticle. It’s the only way to go. Get something robust and consistent with a good warranty. Then look glass quality and then magnification

High magnification cheap glass means you will zoom way in to see nothing well. I’ll take clean and clear 10x vs so so 20x any day of the week

Now if money is t an issue Schmidt and bender nightforce, Khales, Steiner, hendsolt, premier. The list goes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
I try and do as much research as i can then “Buy once, cry once!!” To each their own. Welcome to the States, enjoy your experience!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome , I guess it depends on how far you want to shoot 1000 yards 308 6.5 cm mile 338 l 50 bmg but i do agree with do not scrimp on glass 4 5 hundred will get you started on a ok scope 2 `3 thousand very good scope.. keep your powder dry good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks in advance lenny
Herzlich willkommen!
Ich war stationiert in Bayern acht jara. Ein guter Freund von mir ist Schießmeister in der Oberpfalz.
Ich mag meine Bergara B14 6.5 Creedmoor. Nightforce NSX scope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts