Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 0 rifle experience, but have the bug to build a paper plinker. Most of the spots I have to shoot will have a max range of 500 yards. Their is one range that's working on a 1000 yard spot. I would LOVE to have a setup for 1000 yard shot. I work at Cabelas and have access to some sweet deals, well, optics for sure. I can buy Vortex and Leupold real cheap. I can get a decent deal on Tikka, and Sako. We have a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore that looks real nice, but that may not be the best choice. So, With that info, what would you build, or have you built? What optic/power? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks, I'm looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 mrad. I can get it for under 500.00 ....... What rifle do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Either the Tikka in a heavy barrel model, or the Ruger. Either will do you well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The RPR is controversial in the LR community but I'd think a great starting point in bang per buck.
I've not been following any of the forums on the RPR. Everything I've seen on Youtube (and yes..I know YT content often has an agenda) tells me the RPR is a solid rifle and a damn good use of $1100.
So does the controversy boil down to good old fashioned snobbery, or are there any legitimate gripes with this particular rifle? Given it's feature set and reported accuracy, I tend to think it's likely the former. It is, after all, priced as an entry-level rifle to LR precision shooting.

So, With that info, what would you build, or have you built? What optic/power? Thanks in advance!
If you're just going for grins at the range, I'd say go with a 6.5 Creedmore. It's got fantastic ballistics and won't try to rearrange your clavicle. With your ability to get quality optics at a discount you should be able to do well there. Always pick optical quality over quantity. That big'ol 20x or 24x may sound like a good idea until you are actually looking at a target over 1/2 a mile away. If you crank a scope to 20x and all you see is a white blur with a pretty purple smudge off to one side....it's not going to do you much good. I'd take a fixed 10x that is clear and sharp over a 20x that I can't crank to 20.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've not been following any of the forums on the RPR. Everything I've seen on Youtube (and yes..I know YT content often has an agenda) tells me the RPR is a solid rifle and a damn good use of $1100.
So does the controversy boil down to good old fashioned snobbery, or are there any legitimate gripes with this particular rifle? Given it's feature set and reported accuracy, I tend to think it's likely the former. It is, after all, priced as an entry-level rifle to LR precision shooting.

If you're just going for grins at the range, I'd say go with a 6.5 Creedmore. It's got fantastic ballistics and won't try to rearrange your clavicle. With your ability to get quality optics at a discount you should be able to do well there. Always pick optical quality over quantity. That big'ol 20x or 24x may sound like a good idea until you are actually looking at a target over 1/2 a mile away. If you crank a scope to 20x and all you see is a white blur with a pretty purple smudge off to one side....it's not going to do you much good. I'd take a fixed 10x that is clear and sharp over a 20x that I can't crank to 20.
It's Creedmoor.

And yes there have been some legitimate gripes against the RPR. Quite a few.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Order a Howa barreled action and drop it into a Bell and Carlson stock or a chassis system.

Around $800 if you go with the B&C.

The Tikka Sporter looks nice in 6.5 Swede for a bit more.
Need to be a reloader for that rifle caliber.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Howa M1500 Mini Action Bolt-Action Rifle : Cabela's

$399 on sale. 22" barrel, 1/9 Twist , standard barrel though.
Ditch the Hogue stock ASAP.
If you can get a heavy barrel action for less than that you are good to go.
A 1/9 twist in 223 limits you to about 70 grain bullets and 600 yards.
Beyond that the wind kicks the little bullets around even more.
Usually they will go subsonic around 900 or less.

You can shoot a lot more 223 for the money than 6.5 if you only rarely get out past 500 yards.
I am starting up with a Colt HBAR for that reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just ordered a 6.5 howa barreled action from brownells. I used a coupon code ( LA6 ). total cost shipped was $434

i am pairing mine up with a Masterpiece arms ba stock.

I dont have a scope picked yet. cant decide if i want a variable or a fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Nice choice on the rifle.

The only reasons you'd want a fixed power scope, would be to save money or because your shooting bench rest. Get a variable power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if your looking for a good scope rail. I have always had great luck with ken ferrell (sp?) bases, and i know he makes them for the howa short and long action, in a 0, 10 and 20 moa

·
Registered
313 Posts
Let me know how you like the MPA Chassis. I purchased one of their Defenders in .45 back in the day and quality was an issue back then. Since then I have no idea what they have been doing over there. Only issue I had were many man many FTE's. Would be cool to see if they have QC ironed out today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me know how you like the MPA Chassis. I purchased one of their Defenders in .45 back in the day and quality was an issue back then. Since then I have no idea what they have been doing over there. Only issue I had were many man many FTE's. Would be cool to see if they have QC ironed out today.
oh i will post about it when i get it.

but it will be a few weeks.

the howa action is at my smith being threaded. ( i always shoot with a silencer)

trying to decide on a scope now... the xtr 2, bushnell elite tactical, swfa, vortex.... so many to choose from. just need to make sure i dont blow my budget.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bushnell DMR or Burris XTR-II 5-25. The G2 reticle won me over to the bushnell. The only thing I wish the bushnell had was a zero stop.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you crank a scope to 20x and all you see is a white blur with a pretty purple smudge off to one side....it's not going to do you much good. I'd take a fixed 10x that is clear and sharp over a 20x that I can't crank to 20.
I will say this, you have had some bad luck in picking scopes then.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts