Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start my own thread instead of jacking another.

In a previous dicsussoin Nickel cases where mentioned. What is the trade off when going to nickel? Is it advantageous or not?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nickel cases are more corosion resistant. I suppose thats good if you like pretty cases or are storing ammo for a long time.

If you reload, the cases stay cleaner but i have herd the nickel is hard on dies and cant be re-anelied (sp).

They are more expensive.

Thats my $0.02

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Another "so I heard" but hard to deburr, I think thats what Mulga meant though.

Supposedly more reliable, chamber and extract easier

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used nickel cases fairly extensively, but I didn't start by choice. I never wanted to use them because of the negative effects that they can have on your dies, but I had no choice to use them because I bought a 300 wsm when they first came out and for quite some time I had to use nickel plated brass. The pros are that it lasts longer, easier to clean, and is prettier. The cons are that it is definitely harder to trim, chamfer, and size. You can stop them from scratching your dies by inspecting the cases for burs and imperfections before you re-size them, if there is nothing wrong with the cases, they can't scratch the die. You definitely can't anneal them, but I have a set of cases that have been loaded 14 times and none of the plating has fallen or chipped. I hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts