Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now what the heck...

I’m about to make a terrible first impression, so I’ll start out by saying: Hi, I’m Matt, and I’m a Nikon fanboy. It’s been five days since I’ve last given someone crap about using anything else but Nikon for their low to medium quality optics needs, and today I just found out that they decided to stop making rifle scopes.

I have what I’m sure you guys would consider a pathetic stash of guns. I have enough to arm my immediate family, but I trade up each time I buy new. I can say I have more Nikon scopes than I have rifles to put them on, and that just means I have three scopes and two long guns. One of which I shoot CMP matches with since they added the clause that you could use a 1-4.5 power for their SGMM.

So here I am contemplating a Howa 1500 “build” with some real time machining and carpentry happening to produce the stock/aluminum bedding. I wanted to top it with a Monarch 5 or M5 as it’s comparable to the Leupold Mark 4 6.5–20×50mm at a fraction of the cost when I came across a webpage off the beaten path with someone ranting about Nikon deciding not to make scopes anymore. Apparently, it’s scaring away their camera business from folks who don’t like guns.

First off, I get that. A lot of folks who buy cameras are low-impact hunters who prefer taking pictures of Bambi over blasting her guts out and mounting her head to a wall. While I’ve done my fair share of butchering for meat, I can see their perspective. From a business standpoint, it’s like trying to sell hybrid cars and gas guzzlers in the same lot. I’m sure not everyone cares, but some do, and someone has the numbers to back it up.

Whatever. What do I do now? I don’t want a historic scope, I want one I can get an exact replacement if I say, run it over with a vehicle, or a small child decides it makes a good spear and he’s practicing for the olympics?

I’m looking for a new brand to latch on to. I had a nasty experience with a Vortex (they told me it was .25 MOA adjustments, turns out that’s at 50 yards. Pretty sure that’s .5 MOA and you can’t say that...), and my wife has this silly idea that food and cloths are more important than good glass.

I’m done. Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
The problem is, in the Nikon price range, they are all about the same quality and probably most of them are built at the same factory and marketed by different companies. So if you are limited to buying scopes in this price range, then buy from a company that will back their scopes and quickly deal with any problems that arise. Also realize that at some point it is very possible that a scope going down will cost you a match, the hunt of a lifetime, or at the very least a lot of headache.

I use Tangent Theta on my serious hunting and target rifles because they rarely if ever go down and are top notch quality. I use Schmidt and Bender on my serious rimfire for the same reasons and the fact that they parallax down to 10 yards. Anything budget I use vortex. Vortex on the high end makes some pretty decent glass, but they still fail at times. On the low end they make glass comparable to other brands in the same price range, yet their warranty and service is supposed to be top notch.

My latest purchase is a strike eagle 5-25 FFP and it is quite nice for the price. It is for sure not a high end scope. Glass is not as clear. Turrets are quite mushy. Etc. but for the price I believe it will accomplish my purpose and it wasn’t crazy expensive.

Reactions: Red Dawn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had good experiences with Nikon warranties, which is obviously soiled now.

How about Sig Sauer? Comparable prices, reputable manufacturer, experiences shooters, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts