Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:
- For shooting up/down an incline, all one has to do is subtract 1/8th, either via hold-off or adjusting the reticule, right?

*Braces for mocking laughter.*

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The ammount of hold off depends on the caliber and degree of angle... but yes you do have to adjust for slope shooting.

BC

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so assuming I know the round, for bullet-sail I simply have to hold-off and give it until I score a hit, then record that, and try again until I can do it every time.

Gonna be easier with an optic that has MilDots or the Russian ranging stadia, gives some reference points on the optic for the 'hold off' - more so than simply the crosshairs.

This is gonna be ammo-expensive, but it's not like it's real expensive. Not mine, either. Makes it even cheaper.

Thanks for the quick response, BC.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No problem. If you have access to a shooting tower... use it. It helps ALOT. If your shooting up angle... your going to have to hold high. If your shooting down angle your going to have to hold low.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
No problem. If you have access to a shooting tower... use it. It helps ALOT. If your shooting up angle... your going to have to hold high. If your shooting down angle your going to have to hold low.
Actually, that is incorrect. Whether shooting up angle or down angle, you will ALWAYS hit high, so you must correct by aiming low. Let me repeat, wheter you are shooting up angle or down, you will always hit high, and its the same amount if the angle is the same. (20 degrees up will hit the same amount high as 20 degrees down).

The easiest way to think about it is that gravity only affects the bullet along its horizontal flight path. So, if you can find out the horizontal range to your target (not the direct line range from you to target) and dial that distance into your scope, you will be right on target. There are formulas (and tables, like in the front of the SC log books) that compute this for you.

HINT: If you can estimate your range to your target using a GPS or Map and use that range for your ballistics computing, you will be right on, no matter the angle (Maps and GPS only compute the distance to the target in the horizonal).

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea... thanks for correcting me again.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No prob, I do what I can for all my shooting brethren (and I believe there are some sisters out there too...)

MEL

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am surrounded by Gods.

Thanks for letting me know that the round will always sail. I was thinking the same thing as BC for a day and a half. Now, I need to see if I can't get Jim's pickup up on the firing line and shoot off the cab's roof. Should give me some elevation there.

Damn primitive ranges.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
To see a real change, you need to really be shooting at an incline/decline. I'd say you really don't see the affects until you are great than 10 degrees. Shooting off of the hood of a truck on an otherwise level range will probably not be enough to notice a large effect.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Do like I do... Get out the deer stand and find a tall pine...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That'll work. There's a platform on a tree about seventy five metres back from the firing line. The downside is that I'm shooting across the parking space. It'll get me, maybe 15-20 degrees from the target, aye, but I can only try that when there isn't anyone there. Or in immensely shitty weather, like we have now.

"Correct fifteen metres to the left for wind..."

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
what are ya shooting, dude?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me? .22LR most of the time. 6.5x55mm whenever I can repay the guy who owns it for the ammo I fire off.

100-500 metres. Spitting distance, for most of you, but it's the furthest out I can get here.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
With 22lr I really see what you mean about the wind then...Yeah, thats an issue lol. Angles will be a lot of fun too. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts