Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was listening to the news today and on national radio he heard that five or 6 snipers in iraq were killed in a ambush today. He didnt know if they were Army or USMC--apparently someone tipped off the enemies and told them where theyd be. All the snipers were killed i think--and apparently the iraquis took all their gear--EVERYTHING- this is terrible---have any of ya guys heard anything about this

dom

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
such is war...

my heart goes out to them and their families.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
According to the news 7 were killed. They said several sniper teams were working together and were ambushed. They also mentioned that the snipers, USMC, didn't get a shot off. Not sure what happened, but it sounds like they were not checking their 6. This is from the news so I would take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Six Marines were KIA in one engagment. The other was killed in a seperate attack.

The six Marines were S/S. The Marines, assigned to Regimental Combat Team-2 of the 2nd Marine Division, died Monday in Haditha, 140 miles northwest of Baghdad. Marines near by heard enemy fire in the distance, which is what killed these Marines.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
UGH.

I was thinking maybe an explosive if they didn't get off a shot but I guess I was wrong. Seriously, I know it's war but that made me feel choked up all evening.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

It is very sad, but that is what happens if you walk into an ambush, there really is very little you can do about it. It is not surprising that they didn't get to return fire.
:cry:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Muzz: Seriously, I know it's war but that made me feel choked up all evening.
Each and everyone still pisses me off, and I'm sure most people here feel the same. This really is a sad event, I can't believe 6 USMC Scout Snipers were taken by surprise with no chance to defend themselves. :cry:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aparently five of them were killed instaley by gun fire, the other was found about a mile away shot to death. An investigation is underway about how it happend. Posters were put up in the city commending the deaths of the Marines. All six snipers and the other guy killed in Iraq were from Ohio.

You can watch a new cast (after some comercials) here: http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82776

NBC news was reporting that it was a 2 3-man sniper team and they were on a roof top when ambushed. They are also reporing that they were killed by small arms fire. On their web page they have some graphics of it. They are comparing it to the attack on the four sniper that were betrayed and killed last year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8797271/

rip

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Very sad, indeed! And Yimmy is right, there's usually not a whole lot you can do when ambushed, especially if the other side has their act together. My prayers go out to their families.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I'm happy there are no videos of them being tortured or beheaded.

Which is hardly just in Iraq either. Torture tended to happen to captured snipers in lots of wars.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i do agree that if a sniper is captured..... 99.9% of the time it wont be a pretty outcome. if any of you watched the video--they had a rather cheesy definition of a sniper--plus they claimed guys with m16s to be snipers i only saw one m14dmr--well, prayers to the families and god bless

dom

·
Registered
365 Posts
All KIA's are bad, but when its a Ranger like Pat Tillman, SEALs in Afghanistan, or in this case, S/S, it hits me harder. I dont konw why. Really pisses me off that they didnt even get to take a shot, but it shows the enemy is organizing and dosnt do pop shots anymore.

Recoil is right, S/S really fook up the enemys AO. BUt i'll leave it there.

G

·
0 Posts
The event with the Marine snipers really shocked me. It seems so unbelievable how fast things happen in combat. My prayers go out to there families and the other brave soldiers who are risking there lives. One thing I want to add, I bet there is going to be payback by us in a very big way.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
damn insurgents got lucky and now there putting posters commending themselves up everywhere
this really pisses me off
my thoughts and prayers go out to the snipers and thier families

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Nine of these guys are from my Sgts sons unit. This same unit lost several members in another Amtrac bombing. This unit has been hit very hard. The snipers were reported to have been ambused by Insurgents dressed as Iraqi forces(friendly), and fired on the marines unexpectedly. News coverage in Columbus has been very heavy, so I will keep you posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts