Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the Subject line indicates, I'm not sure where to put this but it seems like the place.

I've been building an M1a/M14 clone (slightly obsessively) on paper for the last week and a half now and I had a question. Well, several actually. I'm interested in the Sadlack Industries Airborne Scope Mount, specifically the u-channel they design into it that functions as a back up ironsight. I will be addressing similar questions to the guys over at the Firing Line forums once I've set up an account over there, but I really like you people and value your opinions. I read a lot of what you write, I just don't say much myself.

My first question is this: does the U-channel allow you to use the existing rear sight aperture(?) or are you supposed to use the U-channel as the rear Aperture INSTEAD of the existing one?

2) If you're supposed to use it in place of the existing one, is it any different to shoot?

3)If so, how is it different and how does it affect shooting or accuracy? How does it compare to the original sights?

4) Is the bulk of the scope and rings distracting when trying to shoot with the ironsights? (I'm sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I feel like having a scope in your upper peripheral vision would be distracting.)

5) How easily is it to remove and reliably re-install?

I realize that these questions might be on the outskirts of this wonderful bolt-action community's knowledge, but you guys sure do know an awful lot about guns. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
The new issue of "Shooting Times" cover article is all about the various mounts and their features.

You could also google "basset mount" and find one not mentioned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's say for the sake of argument that I don't have access to "Shooting Times." (I don't mean to be a jerk, I'm just difficult sometimes.)

I take it you're a big fan of the Basset system. I can see why and I actually looked into them before I posted this. I see what was mentioned in the testimonials about the mount mating to the scope mounting grooves on the receiver. What concerned me when I first looked at it and concerns me now is the single contact point for the mount, there's only one screw holding it in place. I feel like that one screw is not enough to keep the mount from shifting vertically within the groove.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
You use the original irons. Don't know if NM irons would work very well, I think probably not.

-Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts