Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine brought me his savage that with load dev the best he got was 1moa, I took barrel of and hand lapped it for him and he says he's getting 1/4moa now. I made some before and after pics with my borescope. By no means the 1st ive ever improved by a good lapping. I have some ideas to make it easier to lap but for now ill keep doing it the way the old man taught me

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a skill I would like to learn.
Its not real hard learn but it can be hard work and the 1st couple.times you try, do It on spare barrels or ones you plan on replacing because you can mess up a barrel . I screw up the 1st barrel I did by over lapping

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you get a chance would you
Share some tips on lapping ?
I just bought a new barrel and want to try it. I previously used tubbs final finish lapping bullets on a 45-70. It did not make much difference accuracy wise but cleaning is now a snap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I too would be interested in more lapping info. Especially as regards to knowing when to STOP!
THANKS!
Vettepilot

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 243 AR barrel im getting ready to do a lap job on, ill get my wife to take video of the highlight (thr most important parts) and post it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting... ironically I am right in the middle of buiding a 243 AR. I also have a couple of barrels that look like your first, pre-lap photo.

So I'll be watching.

Vettepilot

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting... ironically I am right in the middle of buiding a 243 AR. I also have a couple of barrels that look like your first, pre-lap photo.

So I'll be watching.

Vettepilot
Aewsome.. its hard to get them to start sometimes depending on how deep the chatter marks are but by 4th pull with 220 you'll feel it getting easier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts