Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I changed the stock, fired it just four times, cleaned it once and dry fired it a few times. I bought it new and it has never been dropped banged or handled ruffly since I have owned it. On the plus side I am now able to convince my wife that I need a new trigger for it so it's not a complete loss.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Now thats the first time i have seen that. Had one do that on a 300rum

There are some killer deals on Gunbroker right now for old school rem triggers. withc are much cheaper and very workable.

Tom

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry to see you had a problem with the X-Mark Pro POS trigger . I have a box of about 200 of them would you like me to send you one ? IT WILL BE FOR FREE OF COURSE ;)

Mike
Tac Ops

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer Black Ops but I think I will spring for an aftermarket trigger.
I would appreciate a recommendation though. The only aftermarket trigger I have ever had any experience with is a Timney so I was leaning in that direction but I have read about some possible quality issues with their newer triggers and I don’t think I dare push my luck with my wife for a Jewel.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Your Most welcome anytime ;) Like I stated I am happy to send you a X Mark pro just to keep you in the game. I would go with an old style Remington 700 and let me set it up for you if you like ? Look around for one send it to me and I will job it for you at no charge:) Just let me know...

Mike
Tac Ops

·
Registered
84 Posts
:shock: Mike strikes again. Mate, that's an offer you can't say no to!

+1 to Mike R.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Am I the only one who likes the X Mark Pro trigger? As a factory trigger I think it is fantastic, of course it doesn't compare to a properly tuned trigger though.

Black Ops, wish you had a UK division!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Black Ops If I can find a trigger I just might take you up on your offer. As to the free X-Mark, I have another rifle so I'm still in business there.
Actually I didn't mind it too much before this. It wasn't as good as my Winchester m70 or my brothers Mountain Rifle that was bought in the mid 1990s both of which have factory triggers that were reworked by a local smith several years ago. I didn't think the X-Mark was too bad for a factory trigger.
As for the old style 700 trigger. Where would you find one? I looked on Gun brokers but I could only find a couple. One was missing the safety and the other looked like it was dug out of the back yard. There were a lot of the X-Mark triggers though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what make and model is your rifle???

And if you end up not going with a remington older trigger, id recommend rifle basix, but if you find and old style trigger, def ship it and your rifle to Mike R. you will be in very good hands!

Paulus

·
Registered
432 Posts
Aha! i didnt recognize the webbing on the stock, just wondered what variant of the 700 family it was. shame about the trigger, mike will definitely make it whole again.

Paulus

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I have had my share of issues with Remingtons - especially with a 11-87 that was an utter failure as a duck gun - but I have never seen that.

Did that happen while firing a round? If so, where did that round go? Your post didn't say.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was dry firing it. Long story made short I am going to build a portable shooting bench and I was on a table trying to get a feel for how high to build it, squeezed the trigger for the second time and this was the result.
This is the fourth 700 I have owned. The other three were absolutely trouble free.
I have a 870 that I have had what seems like forever again problem free. Even after spending a week under water after my brother and I dumped a canoe while duck hunting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much giving up on finding an old style trigger. I think they have all vanished and will reappear after I get a new trigger.
I have decided to go with ether a Rifel Basix or a Timney. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a lot of people here like Jewell triggers but another $100.00 would put me in the dog house for at least a week and it is still a little cold around here.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Rumpelhardt said:
Thanks again Black Ops If I can find a trigger I just might take you up on your offer. As to the free X-Mark, I have another rifle so I'm still in business there.
Do anything you can to find an old remmy trigger and send it to mike. The trigger on my tango is not even comparable to anything else I've used. On the downside it's spoiled me so much that I hate the triggers on my other rifles. If mike is offering a freebie don't even think about wasting your money on a jewell, you'll be getting something even better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone HAD an X-Mark that was tuned by a decent smith and it performed well?

I have one on my 5R and when I get my stock from McMillan (still 10 weeks away :cry: )
I am going to get some work done on the whole rifle, the trigger being one aspect.

So ..... am I wasting time and $ tweaking the X-mark?? :?:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm running the stock x-mark trigger on my 5r and really like it. Don't really understand all the fuss. Of course if mine broke like that I'd be singing a different tune, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have about 20 rounds thru mine with the untouched stock X-Mark.
I have not put a gauge on it but I think the break is close to 9lbs!!
Its a real group killer!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts