Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1-9 stock savage .223, 21” barrel shoots the mk262 77gn well at 100 to 300yds sub moa groups.
I had a chance to shoot at 500yds the other day. The biggest paper we had was 18” x18”

So as a noob and not making adjustments for the wind. Maybe nothing to 3-4mph wind. I could not hit the paper aiming in the middle. Shot at 6 times. Running out of time I couldn’t go find bigger paper to catch bullets so I could make a windage or elevation adjustment. I was guessing 12.25 mins elevation. Ballistics app guess

I guess my question is.. is the bullet still stable there at 500? Was it an elevation or windage error not to hit or is the bullet not stable and opens way up tumbling? Is that possible? I know 1-9 is on the boarder but the true measurement is closer to 1-8.77.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Elevation seems like it should have been about right. A 5 mph wind would have pushed your bullet about 12". If you were aiming at the center of the paper you only had 9" of paper left to hit. It doesn't take much wind to push those light rounds around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts