Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Which boots should I get? Durability and Comfort is key.

• Danner Desert Eagle 8" GTX boots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oakley SI Assault Desert boots

• Danner Desert Acadia 8" boots

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm in need of a new pair of boots.

Looking at the Danner Desert Eagle 8" GTX boots which are great because they have Gore-Tex and it rains here often. I was considering the Danner Acadias but they do not have a Gore-Tex material and are heavier. Comfort is very important for long hikes.

The Oakley SI Assault boots have come very well remmended as well. They are very comfortable but they do not have Gore-Tex material and are light like the GTXs. They are lighter than the Acadias as well.

I'm leaning towards the Danner GTX's but the Oakleys have the raved about comfort.

What do you all think.

Heres a pic of the Danner Desert Acadia 8" boots:

I wanted to get some more opinions.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i would probably go with the oakleys and then spend the cash for a couple good pairs of goretex socks. That way your feet stay dry and their comfortable as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good Topic,
Alot of choices, but I think I go with the Arcadia's as you can re-sole them. The others you are out of luck. I like the looks of the Oakley's though.
My two cents,

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I would reccomend against getting gortex boots, they retain water just as well as they keep it out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personally... i preffer alternative boots to all the three options you posted. Allthough... i would have to say the "Oakley SI Assault Boots" would be the best way to go out of the three... if it rains alot or is otherwise really wet where you are... i would make sure to water proof them. PS,,, i accidently voted for the wrong boot :oops: :roll: :lol: Voted for the Danner Desert Eagle 8" GTX boot... wanted to vote for the Oakley SI Assault Boots... just not thinking and clicked the wrong one :?

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Allthough... if it does get really cold and wet where you are i would think about getting a GoreTex boot... dont want your sweat to freeze around your feet. Gore-Tex allows your sweat to evaporate but keeps water from entering the boot at the same time. :wink: Korean War vets know all about that... unfortinatly. I was in the USMC-JROTC program for 4 years during high school and we had to learn alot of the Marine Corp's history. The retired Sgt. Maj. who ran the USMC JROTC program was a Korean War Vet so he told us first hand experiance stories of the Korean War... told us about how alot of good men died from frost bite... or lost there toes / feet due to non breathable boots... he is a huge fan of Gore-Tex... and for a good reason. :wink:

BC

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a pair of the short Oakley Combat boots that are more like shoes, but it has the same sole and quality. They are comfortable and they seem like they are going to last a long time. I really like them, so that is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the Oakley and I have yet to hear an ill word about them. Especially there comfort.

The GTXs, well there a new addition to the Danner lineup therefore I haven't found too much input on those.

The Acadias are a proven workhoarse boot. They are heavier and are not as comfortable as the Oakleys.

My final decision will have to be after I try and find some of each to try on and walk a little with them.

Thanks to all. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
buy whatever the marine corp. uses

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just got my Oakley Desert Boots yesterday and my first impression was wow. They are the most comfortable boot I think I have worn. They also look and feel bullet proof. I'm a danner guy, but for a good light boot I think the Oakley's are it. I will test them in June at a Scout/Sniper Competition and will post if my views have changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts