Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my target is XYZ yards away. I look on the range card in yards and it says ABC MOA. Do I use the MOA to dial in the scope?

Now for holding off. Again I know my target is XYZ yards away. I look on the range card in yards and it says ABC MOA. Do I divide the MOA by 3.438? And lets say I get something like 2.54343 I raise the reticle up 2 and a half mils for a good shot. Thanks folks :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Set a zero first for the particular rifle, load, weather factors and scope.

Once you have boresighted and have a zero, then proceed from there.

I'm not sure about your question, only because you didn't really state the present state of your zero or your equipment your using.

Details, more details.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Specter is right...Decide what range you want to keep your rifle zeroed at and adjust from there.

Personally, I keep mine at 200 m...So lets say my target is at 500 M and I know I am dropping 40 inches. Okay, that would be 8 minutes. So I convert that to 1/4 MOA clicks on my scope. That would be 32 clicks. I shoot, and then I go back to my 200 M zero when I am done.

If I want to use Mils, say again with a 40 inch drop at 500 M, without checkin my math I just say...Okay, the target is 20 inches and it takes up X mils. So if I am at the middle, I then have to hold 3/4 of the target high to put a bullet in the center with a 40 inch drop. Middle of the target is 10 inches high, so I hold 30 inches high.

You could do it the other way too, like you described, deviding and deciding how many mils your drop is like that. Have to if you don't have a good estimate of the size of your target.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts