Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this old gem the other day. Its a #1 mk3 lee enfield

20160301_120830.jpg
Tisey aren't so easy to find anymore that are untouched. This one is 1916 so that makes it 100 years old. I'll probably that it out this weekend to see how it shoots.

Cliffy

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Nice old wood there.

One of these days I'm going to find an excuse to buy an old historically significant "sniper" rifle... all original, un-messed-with. I just haven't really locked on to which one I want yet.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice old wood there.

One of these days I'm going to find an excuse to buy an old historically significant "sniper" rifle... all original, un-messed-with. I just haven't really locked on to which one I want yet.
Yes I would like a all original sniper rifle also. I think the ross rifle in sniper form would be the one I want. Very rare and probably have to remortgage the house to afforc one.

Cliffy

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
How bout a Krag Jorgensen? My great uncle was a big fan of those. We have his, but have never shot it.

He also left us an 03a3, a trapdoor 45/70, and a garand. He was into older military rifles. He shot 300 yard rapid fire with the garand and had some medals from the competitions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
K31-55 Sniper.jpg K31-55 Sniper.jpg

My favorite sniper is the Swiss K31/ZFK aka K31/55. The now sell a mount very similar to the base part of the Swiss mount that you can attach a higher magnification scope instead of using the 4X Kern scope.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have some ranger ammo kicking around so will start there. Than all probably order some 174gr serria to load.

Cliffy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I won't waste your time with reasons and links to data on loading for the #1MkIII but ods are boat tail bullets won't work well in an original or later barrel if it was shot with MkVII surplus or service munitions. It may seem to preform adiquitly at short range but will fall off quickly. I hope I'm wrong but historically it is factual.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I won't waste your time with reasons and links to data on loading for the #1MkIII but ods are boat tail bullets won't work well in an original or later barrel if it was shot with MkVII surplus or service munitions. It may seem to preform adiquitly at short range but will fall off quickly. I hope I'm wrong but historically it is factual.

Good Luck

I would expect it to fall in the 2-3 MOA

Cliffy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just for grins gather some flat base bullets with an open base that will distend into the rifling. They preform the best in my 1941 with an original barrel.

ATB

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If that's the case, I wonder if the old m118 with the 173 FMJBT would work.

One of the stories on the development of 5r rifling in the m24 was to help with the issues of shooting BTHPs.

The FMJBT didn't have issues since the base was open and the brass could squeeze out the bottom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has more to do with what was shot down the barrel. Stick cordite soaked linen a very hot flame front causing errosion past the throat.
Boat tails will now allow more burning cordite to eat away more throat.

Good luck again.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't got out to see how it shoots yet just been real busy. To night I sayed late at work and rebearing the rear diff on my truck before I head out on a road trip. Look like it might be a week or so before I get time. Darn work seem to get in the way.

Cliffy

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate it when that happens. I worked 38 hours over the last 3 days and am stumbling around like a zombie. We're planning to shoot at the range today and I do not expect much but at least I won't be at work. Rebearing the rear diff - that's some real wrenchin' there. I'm staring at a couple of lower control arms that aren't managing to install themselves.

It to bad they just wouldn't assemble themselfs.
Head out on the road early Sunday drive 14hours spend the night the next day run around collecting and loading up. I will get stop a gunshop for alittle window shopping. Then turn around and head back.

Cliffy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts