Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the quality of olympic arms AR-15s compare to the other manus?
GOOD?
BAD?
Or P.O.S.?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It has been my experience that they are the lower end on quality , IMO the best are:
1. RRA
2. Bushy
3. DPMS
4. Fulton Armory

·
Registered
271 Posts
they're decent weapons but crudely manufactured. think of them as the equivalent of the chinese dragunov when compared to the russian dragunov. crude forging and construction but same reliability. I owned an Oly Arms MFR for years. no problems.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the one i shot a long time ago rattled, have to agree with fmsniper and voldermortist they are crude and cheap
i'd stick with Bushmaster or RRA for quality

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went out shooting today with my hunting partner and it was abt. 90 deg. out. Whew! I brought my chinese AK-47,243 Rem 700 and he brought his Olympic AR-15. That little AR really shoots nice. No scope yet but every shot was well to the middle of the paper and not one jam at all. If the olympics are bottem end then I suspect the Bushmasters and the RRA rifles must be made outta gold and touched by the lord himself. I will be looking to pick up a AR my self. Proballby a Bushmaster or a DPMS. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I met a guy this last week on vacation who bought an Oly. Arms AR and he's head over heels for the thing.

-BS

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my olympic ar. The upper and lower reciver fit togeather really tight, you have to force them togeather a little bit. As far as accuracy goes, I am a terrible shot with peep sights, and I can hit the 8" gongs my range has at 200 yards every time. Thats not saying a whole lot, but I just got it for a plinker and incase I ever wanted to shoot a CMP match. My friend has one of their ultra match rifles and I personally shot a 5/8" group at 100 yards with it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ask yourself this, how many ar15's do you have. If you have more than one than you say how great it is. If I only had a olympic arms, I would think it was awesome also, but I have two bush's and 3 that I biult off a dpms. I like the dpms cause I took some care in putting them together. I have delt with olympics and they are not bad, but expand your horizons and pick up another ar15 of a higher quality and than make a decision. I am not dogging you, I am just saying don't make up your mind just yet until you explore more options. SD

·
Registered
809 Posts
In my professional opinion P.O.S.

Michael Rescigno
Tactical Operations, Inc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well recoil, I agree completely. When I am at work I push rock river real hard for people that are not going to really do anything else to it. Forged is forged, and I definitely agree that it is the internals that make the gun. RRA comes with a better grip, trigger and safety selector. I have three dpms that I biult off there recievers. Oh I am sorry, I have a 458 socom on a dpms reciever two. So I have four, my bad. I took the time and hand selected each part, to fit the purpose of each gun. I only have two bush's cause they are marked LEO. Thanks for explaining my point a little bit better. SD

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm with Black Op's on this, spend a little more money and you will be alot happier. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
492 Posts
recoil, it is nice to see that there is someone out there that agrees with me on the colt thing. The way I see it, people are paying $500 for a stupid horse on the side of the reciever. Forget the horse and go for quality. Colt's piss me off cause of the stupid front take down pins, sear blocks and there on again off again with the public. The way I see it they are turncoats. SD

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not saying go out and buy a Colt, I just meant spend a little more and you will be happier. Something like Rock River or Bushy would be fine. I do own a Colt, but I did get a good deal on an older sporter II, Got the 16" carbine, 20 mags, 1000 rounds of ammo, .22 conversion kit with extra mags, and scope for a thousand dollars. The rifle is in 90% condition and I know the original owner, He was having a baby and needed the money. I also feel the same about the way Colt does buisness these days, so if I were to buy a new one it would probably be Rock River.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have only seen one Olympic Arms AR and it seemed OK.

But I have seen the following RRA parts recently.

1. Barrel; (chrome-lined)
2. Upper receiver;
3. Bolt and carrier;
4. Handguards;
5. Lower parts kit.

I compared the RRA upper parts head to head with Bushmaster parts, and I feel that RRA is equal or better in quality. The parkerized finish is deeper and nicer on RRA's bolt carrier and barrel.

I compared RRA's lower parts kit with one from DPMS. Although the DPMS kit is ok, the RRA parts evince a much higher level of quality. Fit and finish are absolutely flawless and the overall quality bespeaks a level of pride and care not often seen today.

But I do not like RRA's handguards. Bushmaster handguards are much nicer. The RRA handguards are definitely in need of improvement.

In general, a buyer gets what he pays for. But RRA parts are available from Legal Transfers at fair prices and a bargain hunter can still obtain high quality parts without going broke.

Check out http://www.ar15sales.com

I'm not a shill for Legal Transfers, but Pete is probably the best dealer around. I'm just a satisfied customer and I'm also quite

Mad.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Since I only have one upper - and that upper is an Oly - I guess my opinion isn't worth a lot. BUT, I'm happy with mine. I never remember what Oly calls it. But it's the 5.56 milspec stainless steel 16" A3 upper. Sure, the finish isn't perfect, the fit is good - but not perfect to my Bushy lower. But all in all, it's surprisingly accurate (or I've had a load of lucky shots...) and all in all I feel it was a decent purchase. I've only fired a few hundred Federals through it, but no jams or any other crappy bevior.

Well, considering what I had to pay for it and what you have to pay for it in the US I feel ripped off, but that's another tragic story. :roll:

If/when I'm getting a 20" to build my DMR-ish rifle I don't think I'll pick Oly, though.

Just my fraction of a cent...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Dear Kamatz:

There's a German company, called Oberland Arms. I hear that they make really high-end AR-15 parts. Perhaps you could build that new match upper from Oberland parts.

http://www.oberlandarms.com

It might be easier for you to use German parts than to import them from the US

Mad.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ah yes, it's a sound plan, Mad :) But, there's one obstruction - for the time being, at least - the Norwegian legal system.

You see, for some strange reason, every model of a semi auto weapon has to go through testing to see whether they're "safe" for civilans to own. As of now, I believe there are some 12-15 semi-auto "military" rifles legal for sale. Out of those, there's 3-4 AR15 models, two Bushmasters and two DPMS', I think. And at the moment, Oberland Arms isn't on the list - even though an upper, strictly speaking, is quite useless without a lower..so it shouldn't be a problem. It's a rather hopeless situation :roll: But hopefully someone will sort it out in not too long.

But if the OA uppers are compatible with the standard AR lowers, it's quite possible that I might end up with one of those. It should be compatible, but you never know with those sneaky Germans... :lol:

ed: oh and another crap part with the law is that all rifles has to have a minimum of 18,5" barrel. :roll: Which kinda made my 16" a bit more expensive and hard to get than it normally would've been since I bought it second hand in a tight, tight market. But oh well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts