Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i take 1000 yard shots with a 270 win. (savage) or would that b pushing it to far. i got a 270 for my b day just walmarts 10fp with simmons 3-9-40mm. accu trigger and bipod. is it a good long range gun or just white tale hunting and such.

thanx for the any comments.

semper fi
tricky

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
somebody help me!!!

i really need to know what yall gun buffs know about 270. and ive read some ballistic crap but nothing is like hands on so please. let me know.

thanx
larry

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the ballistic crap will tell you all you need to know if you learn how to read it. my suggestion is to do so, and quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
It will get there.

No way to tell where it would get there.

What I mean is, you have to try your rifle out at 100 m first. See how it groups. It doesn't mean it will be consistent as the ranges increase but you will have an idea. Honestly, long range shooting with a factory sporter barrel is hard. So, lets say for example, 2 inch groups at 100 m, if its consistent, your shots will go anywhere inside a 20 inch square at 1000 m if there is no wind, the temperature and humidity stay the same. Kinda hard to say.

Download a ballistics calculator though. I don't know where to get one. Remington used to have it.

The only way to do it is to do it. The bullet can do it, but the gun, optics, and shooter are the limiting factors, thats why no one can really tell you.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't mean to sound unkind, but to shoot accurately at 1000 yards, you will need:

1. Lots of practise;

2. Lots of knowledge regarding the ballistic characteristics of your load;

3. Lots of skill in learning to guage the wind and mirage;

4. Highly tuned equipment.

Again, I don't mean to be unkind, but your scope is unsuited for long range work. First of all, the adjustments are not truly repeatable. Secondly, your scope does not have the right amount of elevation adjustment for true long range work. Thirdly, long range shooting demands high precision handloads.

I would recommend that you head to a few high power matches and speak to the shooters there.

But Savage rifles have a reputation for sterling accuracy. So you have the basis of an excellent shooter. And the .270 is a fine long range round.

:)

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, Mad pretty much just said it all. I ave a Winchester model 70 300 win mag, and its only now that I can spank a piece of plywood at 700 meters and it groups WIDE lol...Thats my fault.

But, needing lots of work isn't always bad either. If you like shooting, it means lots of trigger time. Trying long range, different loads, etc...

My first scope sucked too...sucked hard. But there are a lot of threads about good low cost scopes in the Optics section.

Man, I remember writing to Mel about what my M70 would do with Match ammo...lol, I knew jack then and this place didn't have this forum yet. But the dude wrote back and told me politely that even if my rifle can't take advantage of it, theres nothing wrong with shooting the best ammo I can.

Thats why I am building a target mauser now.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Considering that myself and a few friends shoot .223 caliber AR-15's out to 1,000 yards with iron sights (with the 100 grain bullets that you have to single load)... a .270 would do just fine. :) It all depends on your and the rifles accuracy.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Considering that myself and a few friends shoot .223 caliber AR-15's out to 1,000 yards with iron sights (with the 100 grain bullets that you have to single load)... a .270 would do just fine. :) It all depends on your and the rifles accuracy.
Says the USMC Sniper lol :p

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Heck... i wish i could get into the sniper school... but i would have to give up my 8654 MOS and my spot on my FR Co. Even though i allready have completed Force Reconassaince indoc and all the schools... if i went into Scout Sniper school then came back to my FR Co. i would have to re-complete all the indoc and schools... so im kinda SOL :? I think another part of why they wont grant me a Scout Sniper school spot is because im allready at the top of my game at what i do... and it wouldnt make sence (training time wise) for them to take me and start me at a scout sniper MOS.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Long range stuff is intimidating, and the same time it makes you want to keep trying again. When I shot 600yds the first time it was in a match, the Presidents Rifle Match at Perry. I had just totally screwed my self in the rapid fire prone at 300yds, so I was pissed and really nervous about shooting it. A Marine on their rifle team, and then a couple more, encouraged me, helped me get my head in the game, and I shot my best score of the day at 600yds.

I had to do it with Irons, my Match Garand, and 1967 NM ammo M118 Special Ball. I had only owned the gun for 3 weeks prior to the match, so it was a very rough day, but thanks to the Marines next to me I walked out feeling much better than I did after the 300yd string. That target looks so small at 600yds, I have never tried 1000 yet but hope to. I only mentioned this to point out how right MAD was, the guys at these matches, helped me more in three days than I could have done on my own in months. I also got to shoot with a guy by the name of Bill Hammers from MI that is a High Master Shooter,and still travels the world shooting for the US in competitons in his 70's. The match shooters are a wealth of information, and only too willing to help you learn if you are willing to listen. Young guys like you and new guys like me are the only way to keep the sport going. I would encourage everyone to try to go to Perry sometime, I now will go every year, and try to get inthat Presidents 100 with my garand just to say I did it.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Man, I remember writing to Mel about what my M70 would do with Match ammo...lol, I knew jack then and this place didn't have this forum yet. But the dude wrote back and told me politely that even if my rifle can't take advantage of it, theres nothing wrong with shooting the best ammo I can.
I'm sure glad I try to be nice to everyone...

I also agree that getting out a shooting in a match is great, and you will me many great people, even if you do poorly!

MEL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx guys.

i appretiate everything you guys say. ive already learned sooo much from ya. i will do what ya say and get out there and shoot more. im going shooting taday. thanx again.

tricky

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Tricky... you know what i did when i was new to long range shooting? I bought some of those A-Zoom metal snap caps and would dry fire practice alot... it helped me ALOT... i stoped flinching when i pulled the trigger... and i also stoped blinking... and i noticed the next time i shot live ammo... my groups went down from around 5 inch's @ 100 yards with my 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser to about 1.5 inch groups!!! I was very pleased... considering it was my first bolt action rifle and i was only 17 years old at the time. Try out some snap cap dry fire drills... PS.. if you do get snap caps make sure to get the metal ones that are a maroon color... they are the best ones out there and they last thousands of dry fires!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I noticed at the bottom of your posts... on your signature it says SEMPER FI... if you are a Marine im sure you know the multiple shooting positions (since we were all taught them in boot camp and use them every 6 months for requal)... i would use those positions since your (if you are a Marine) familiar with them. Another thing... you can if you want... substitute empty casings with a used primer as your snap caps... but they generally dont work as well as real A-Zoom snap caps... since the OAL (Over All Lenght) of the casing after it has been fired is usually to long to re-chamber the casings without jaming it into the throught area and damaging the rifling; And the primer is now an empty space... so its not as stiff or supportive of the fireing pin as it once was. It is very important that you do not dry fire your rifle without either a Snap Cap or a empty casing in the chamber. After dry firing ALOT or ALITTLE (depending on the spring tension and type of metal and over all condition of the bolt face allready) will actually cause the bolt face to become deformed. What is happening is the firing pin is not hitting anything... like the primer... to stop it from moving forward. So the only thing that will stop the firing pin is one of two things... 1 : The back of the firing pin hits the back of the bolt and stops... like in an AR-15 (or the Military issue M-16A2 / A3 / A4)... 2 : or the inside contour of the hole where the firing pin is becomes to small for the firing pin to continue forward... when # 2 occurs... this is what causes the front of the bolt face to become disfigured. The firing pin will ... slowly but surely... bend... push... and deform the metal moving it forward... thus making the hole in the face of the bolt to start to look like an ant hill moving outward... wich would make the back of the casing not properly sit on the face of the bolt... therefor decreasing accuracy when fired.

PS... if you are a Marine (any of you)... we can exchange MOL (Marines OnLine) account info so you can email me any time you want with questions.

BC

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ballistic_coe

hey man. i really really appretiate what you have told me. im trying the dry firing trick right now. i can tell i flinch like a motha. i had a buddy mix my live with my empty. (5 bullets) and when i thaught it was a live round and it wasnt i flinched like crazy. it sucked. but on a good day i could easily shoot moa. wierd huh. but i flinch bad. im 18 and this is my first bolt high power rifle also. im use to 22 rim. i anticipate the kick soooo bad. im getting better though. thanx to your advice. im not a mirine just long to be someday soon. or when ever possible. i say semper fi because it means always faithful and i will do anything for anyone who does the same for me. and if i join i will always be faithful to the core. forever. but anyways thanx for the advice. if you think of anymore then give it to me. thanx again.

semper fi

larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts