Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick-"hooks" for camo covers such as Barracuda integrated into the stock during manufacturing.

That is one of the things I've been wondering about too and from over the years: How to easily attach camo and get it to _stay_ there, yet still being able to quickly remove it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Great feature idea! :D

When I've done ghillie stalks with a rifle (I normally don't get the chance).

I usually wrap a long canvas strip lightly around the scope and everything behind. Then I take the same local greens that are in my ghillie and make the rifle match.

I've found if you bind some tall grass up with rubber bands you can make a little shrub toward the end of the barrel.

I try to keep it just tight enough to stay on, but easy to remove.

Obviously you can't take a shot in this situation, but it really breaks up the shape of the rifle from a straight on perspective.

Of course you want to keep the shrub away from the crown, but what else is new?

Just an idea.

-snowy

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried something similar. The reason I started wishing for something like that is that when we're walking, I often have my MP5 in my hands and the rifle on my back. Eventually the camo has started to move around, one end slipping loose etc. Having to adjust that every time you prepare the rifle after going through rough terrain, dense undergrowth etc is annoying, especially if I want to keep movements to a minimum when needing to prepare.

I also don't want the camo to sit too tight, due to shape etc (yes yes, I'm picky, I know) :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Agreed, thats a nice idea. I'm trying to think of how one could acheive such a thing. I have put some of the quick cuffs on mcmillan stocks, I wonder if you could put those in several strategic locations on the stock with 1" loops (normally used for slings) to use to attach your ghillie. perhaps have 2 on each side (one forward, one rear) and two on the bottom. The nice thing is you can easily remove them when not in use..... I've started useing a few of these cuffs on some of the SC rifles, and I may go to a 100% quick cuff instead of swivel studs. Bi-pod mounting is my ownly concern.

MEL

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about something like that too. My idea was to have it embedded into the stock. Maybe as a form of "buttons"?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The ones I'm talking about are here:

Now, the entire unit comes right off so there is a flush cup in the stock.

I wonder if they make other types of plugins besides just the loops.

MEL

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Nods* I've seen those. What I was thinking was more along the snap buttons used in some shirts, where you don't thread a button through a hole, but instead that the camo is prepared with button heads that you just press against the button bases in the stock, locking them into position.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
That certainly seems doable. Might look a little odd... but would work. Perhaps just epoxy some of those snaps to your stock.

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If you added four of those buttons (two in the front and two at the barrel throat) you could make your own strip of fabric that would be loose and able to accept greenery. You could also make it so you could have fabric covering your crown.

Interesting idea.

Form follows function.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Why not simply attach your camo with pull tight loops, the ones made from black/green cord like those found on the opening of bags? Or even use black plasti-cuffs?

Both of these are cheap and leave no permament fittings to the rifle, and you can use as many as you like to hold the camo on simply by slipping them over the stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts