Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking to go out and try 1 mile. My Nikon FX1000 does not have enough elevation. What kind of scope can I get that will help me make that shot, and not send me in to bankruptcy?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ones I could find with the greatest elevation travel are the Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56, which offers ~100 MOA (~29 mils), and the Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. 5-25x56 F1, which offers ~120 MOA (~35 mils). Both might not be enough to reach both, a 100m zero and a 1700m dial-in, depending on how close to the lower elevation travel limit your zero ends up being.
Also, at least the Nightforce might approach your bankruptcy zone (saw it for ~ $4,100 on optics planet). The Leupold sells for ~ $3000 (MSRP).
Not sure where else to look, there do not seem to be many scopes out there with that much elevation travel. Maybe an adjustable base that offers additional travel could be an option too.

PS: If you know how much travel you will actually need, or if you could provide information on the rifle you're using as well as ballistics information (caliber, bullet type/weight/BC, muzzle velocity, whatever you've got), that could help narrow down what kind of equipment might work for you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 has 113moa. Retail is 1900.00-2500. Could get a Charlie Tarac micro, its 600.00 for a rail mount version, goes in front of your scope and adds a preset MOA, I'm looking to get one set to 30 mills or approx 102MOA.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sounds like it might be a good idea to look for a base that helps you the most with your MOA's. Doing a little math, 30 MOA base @ 3.6moa per mil will add 8.33mils elevation to a GenII Razor 4.5X27 which already has 27 depending on how far off center the zero at 100 is. That gives you a total of 35.3 mils which is a little close for comfort if you need 34mils to get to 2000. A 40 MOA base will add 11.11mils to the 27mils the GenII Razor already has for a total of 38.11.

That might seem a better alternative but you might want to check if anyone has had any success 2K with a 300WM or even if it makes sense to event try given the round's capabilities shooter ability and other equipment needed to make that shot. It's one thing if you're trying to hit the side of a barn. a 18"x24" a 36"x36" target but quite another... if a slight wind change will blow you 10' off target. I know how critical wind call is starting at about 500yds and out to 1000. 1000 is as far as my range goes. I can just imagine the additional challenge of making an accurate wind call if trying to hit twice the distance I shoot. Sometimes wind swirls or blows in different directions at various distances at my range, so you need to adjust your firing solution for all of these changes otherwise you're just sending rounds downrange. If you don't have a spotter it would be tough (my View Impossible) to see your splash and make corrections. I suspect corrections at 2000 yds would need ideal conditions and a very good spotter is my guess. I'm working towards a 1760yd shot with a 300NM that's about 6-9 mos out for me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like it might be a good idea to look for a base that helps you the most with your MOA's. Doing a little math, 30 MOA base @ 3.6moa per mil will add 8.33mils elevation to a GenII Razor 4.5X27 which already has 27 depending on how far off center the zero at 100 is. That gives you a total of 35.3 mils which is a little close for comfort if you need 34mils to get to 2000. A 40 MOA base will add 11.11mils to the 27mils the GenII Razor already has for a total of 38.11.

That might seem a better alternative but you might want to check if anyone has had any success 2K with a 300WM or even if it makes sense to event try given the round's capabilities shooter ability and other equipment needed to make that shot. It's one thing if you're trying to hit the side of a barn. a 18"x24" a 36"x36" target but quite another... if a slight wind change will blow you 10' off target. I know how critical wind call is starting at about 500yds and out to 1000. 1000 is as far as my range goes. I can just imagine the additional challenge of making an accurate wind call if trying to hit twice the distance I shoot. Sometimes wind swirls or blows in different directions at various distances at my range, so you need to adjust your firing solution for all of these changes otherwise you're just sending rounds downrange. If you don't have a spotter it would be tough (my View Impossible) to see your splash and make corrections. I suspect corrections at 2000 yds would need ideal conditions and a very good spotter is my guess. I'm working towards a 1760yd shot with a 300NM that's about 6-9 mos out for me.
I have the Gen 2 Razor with 40moa (20 rail, 20 mount) and i get 27 mils total (fyi you can only get 28max as thats the scopes limits per Vortex. Thats where a ColdShot adjustable base or Charlie Tarac comes in.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have the Gen 2 Razor with 40moa (20 rail, 20 mount) and i get 27 mils total (fyi you can only get 28max as thats the scopes limits per Vortex. Thats where a ColdShot adjustable base or Charlie Tarac comes in.

I thought you get 27 above and below the horizonal axis? Am I wrong? I was told by what I thought was a reliable source that the additional MOA shift the Zero giving you more elevation. haven't messed with MOA bases to my scope because the scopes I run except for one(my .22LR) have enough elevation for the rounds and distances I fire.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Gen 2 razor 4.5-27 has 33mils of total internal adjustment. You can only dial 28 due to the L-tec turret. So thats 16.5 up and 16.5 down from mechanical center with a 0 moa base/rings. After you zero say you have (for ease of numbers) 13mils of up available, that leaves 20mils below your zero that you can't use, that's where the 20-40moa rails and mounts come in. We can add up to 15mils (for 28 total). Thats approx 50moa. So we add a 20moa rail and 20moa mount to make use of the adjustment below our zero. So now we have 24.6mils (84.6moa) of up adjustment.
This is all assuming you want a 100 yard zero.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Gen 2 razor 4.5-27 has 33mils of total internal adjustment. You can only dial 28 due to the L-tec turret. So thats 16.5 up and 16.5 down from mechanical center with a 0 moa base/rings. After you zero say you have (for ease of numbers) 13mils of up available, that leaves 20mils below your zero that you can't use, that's where the 20-40moa rails and mounts come in. We can add up to 15mils (for 28 total). Thats approx 50moa. So we add a 20moa rail and 20moa mount to make use of the adjustment below our zero. So now we have 24.6mils (84.6moa) of up adjustment.
This is all assuming you want a 100 yard zero.

So no matter what, you are not getting 34 MILS with a Gen II Razor 4.5x27 on the turrets. So you add 10mils of the tree and you’re at 34.6mils.. I never cranked my Razer past 11mils and I have a flat scope base.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So no matter what, you are not getting 34 MILS with a Gen II Razor 4.5x27 on the turrets. So you add 10mils of the tree and you’re at 34.6mils.. I never cranked my Razer past 11mils and I have a flat scope base.
Max for the Gen 2 Razor is 28mils plus 10mils in the reticle for 38mils MAX

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is why im looking at getting the Charlie Tarac Micro. My 2 gen 2 razors have between 26.5 and 27.7 mils available, so if I use the reticle I can hold 31 mils on both without backing out my magnification. So I will get one set to 30 mils, add to that my turrets and I will be able to get 56.5mils on one and 57.7mils on the other without using the reticle.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Max for the Gen 2 Razor is 28mils plus 10mils in the reticle for 38mils MAX

I spoke to Vortex Tech support today and they echoed your thoughts gunguy. You basically take the total elevation advertised and cut it in half and that's approximately what you get unless you use a 20-30moa Base and that just shifts your zero so you get more elevation upward instead of half up and half down. Gun issues and zero stop issues notwithstanding. I only needed 8.4 for my 6.5 creedmore and 10.5 for my .308 to get out to 1000 no I never pushed the boundaries of the GII razor. Tell me about that gizmo in front of your scope... that's a Canadian company and they are proud of their little box..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve never tried shooting over 1005 yards so take this for what it’s worth. With a 100 yard zero my gen 2 Razor has 28.5 mils of up adjustment till it hits the stop. That’s with a 20 moa base and a 0 moa Spuhr mount. At 1000 yards I have to adjust 8.6 mils and my calculator tells me 22.1 mils at a mile.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I’ve never tried shooting over 1005 yards so take this for what it’s worth. With a 100 yard zero my gen 2 Razor has 28.5 mils of up adjustment till it hits the stop. That’s with a 20 moa base and a 0 moa Spuhr mount. At 1000 yards I have to adjust 8.6 mils and my calculator tells me 22.1 mils at a mile.
Are you shooting a 6.5CM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts