Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the question: which scope on which rifle? These are the candidates in no particular order.
Rifles:
Ruger M77 MKII Hawkeye, 7.62x39, 16” barrel
Saiga/Izhmash .308 23” barrel
Rock River AR, 7.62x39, 17.5” barrel
Savage Bear Hunter, .300 Win Mag, 23” barrel
Remington 783 on a Boyd’s Stock, .270, 21” barrel
Scopes:
Argos BTR Gen 2, 6-24x50, First Focal Plane, MOA Reticle, Adjustable Objective/Parallax
Leupold VX1, 3-9x40, SFP, Fixed Objective
Schmidt and Bender Klassik, 8x56, SFP Fixed Objective
Tasco, World Class, 3-9x40, SFP, Fixed Objective
UTG SWAT, 3-12x44, SFP, MIL DOT Reticle, Adjustable Objective/Parallax
This is a real scenario. These are the rifles and optics I have to work with. The game is simple, match them up. There are no wrong answers. All of these scopes are going to end up on these rifles in some configuration. Thank you for reading my question. Your opinion matters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M77- 8x56, .308 -vx1 3-9x40, RR AR 3-9 X40, 300 WIN MAG- 6-24X50, REM 783 -3-12X44 the 270 will have more reach than the 308 even with the shorter barrel
Thank you for your comment. I was hoping for more replies... I have not made any decisions yet. I never really considered the 8x56 on the M77, but now that I think about it, that caliber and short platform would probably lend itself best to the fixed power. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plot thickens... I acquired a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50 last night. I have a friend helping liquidate an estate with a lot of glass. (fellow owned a gun store in upstate NY for 35 years) That is where I got the Schmidt and the other Leupold. I may wait until the supply dries up before I mount anything. I think there is another VX3 coming available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The plot thickens... I acquired a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50 last night. I have a friend helping liquidate an estate with a lot of glass. (fellow owned a gun store in upstate NY for 35 years) That is where I got the Schmidt and the other Leupold. I may wait until the supply dries up before I mount anything. I think there is another VX3 coming available.
I would get rid of the Tasco, cheap scope and glass. The FFP and SFP won't matter unless you are using the scope as a range finder. You really need another 25 to 35 power scope for the 270. unless you are just using it for hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts