Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing research and I have decided that I want a FFP MOA reticle with MOA adjustments, and a 4-16 power magnification range. I will initially just be using the scope to practice medium range shots with (400-700 yds) with the ultimate goal of being comfortable at those ranges to start using the scope for mainly short to medium range hunting (100-700 yds). I have researched a ton of scopes and came across this one from cabelas. It is called the Cabela's Covenant Tactical FFP Riflescope. I have had great success with Cabela's scopes in the past and I was wondering what you all think of this one. I am a college kid so the budget aspect is a big deal for me. Any comments or reccomendations you guys have would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Then in order to udate your research, I would recommend that you try a few FFP scopes with the magnification power set to the lowest level.
In hunting in poor evening or early morning light with most ffp scopes without illuminated reticles one cannot see the crosshairs well enough for
a shot at close ranges. For this reason most of my hunting scopes are Second focal plane ones, while for paper and steel targets my rifles for
that are all FFP. There are several Youtube videos done where the person starts at 100 yards with a ffp scope at the scopes highest power
and reduces power until lowest. He leaves any decision up to the viewer, but his intention is to show what I said above. This can be troubling
particularly if hunting early and late in timbered areas where the range would be 50 to 150 yards. Highest quality glass may not help you
with this either. Looking at the scopes in a shop will not help you much either unless you are aware of this.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I tend to not to trust the turret reliability on the cheap scopes. It's just not possible to meet the expectation with that kind of money. Because you are a college student and it's the budget really matters, maybe fixed scope will probably be a best suited choice. You wanted shoot long range then it means your rifle is not a 22lr and should recoil a bit. Chances are those cheap turret won't hold for long time. 10X scopes will get you started up to 600 yardish or little more of shooting depends on your eye sights. You're a college age, should be more than fine. Far as hunting concerns, average hunting will be done within 300 yards. 10X fixed may be too much for close range, but you can always use canted BUIS.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I too have had great results with Cabela's "Private Brand" scopes. As long as one realized that they are not going to get $1K performance from a $250 scope, they are a great buy.

Download a chart like this:

Print it out on a piece of bright white paper and take it with you to the store. Put the chart up at enough distance to allow the scope to focus on it (Take some painters masking tape).

Then use the chart to compare the optical qualities of the scopes you are looking at.

Clarity is important and even more so than magnification. Magnification will make things bigger but it takes lens quality to make it clear.

PS: Just "Right Click" on the image above and you should be able to copy it to your computer for printing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, Thank you, that is great information. I currently use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide on my hunting rifle and the reason I was feeling good about the cabela's glass is because my other one does fantastic in low light conditions. But thank you, I will take your information to heart and add that to my research.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thank you all! I do realize I am not going to get the same quality as a $1k scope and I honestly would love to be able to get a $1k scope but I cannot afford it. So, After doing research (and more is needed) I have come across this one that fits my budget and features. And it helps that I have had Cabela's Scopes before and had great success with them. And Gpark I just wouldn't be able to work with a fixed power for hunting and you are correct, I do not shoot a 22lr haha I actually Have a .243, a 30-06, and a .338 win mag. I have not done any work with the .338 yet though, it is still brand new in the box and this scope would not go on that. And the turrets are always a concern, howevever I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide on my 30-06 right now, and the turrets work great and track fantastic after alot of use, I just dislike the duplex reticle on it when I extend my ranges. This scope would go on my 30-06 right away. And thank you deadshot, I will definitely use that piece of paper!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After more research in the last day I have decided to just save up and purchase a nicer scope in the future. I am looking at either the Vortex PST line or maybe even just keep saving and buy a nightforce. In the mean time I will just be saving money! Thank you for all of your help!

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I would consider Athalon on that price range. I have no first hand experience with them...but others here do and might chime in. Orkan did a review of them over on gunhive...and I think he has them in stock too.

https://forums.gunhive.com/topic/1338/athlon-optics-argos-btr-6-24-ffp
None in stock right now. I am waiting for the last couple of models coming out this month/next month so I can eval all the models at the same time. Only then will I decide what to stock, if any.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
After more research in the last day I have decided to just save up and purchase a nicer scope in the future. I am looking at either the Vortex PST line or maybe even just keep saving and buy a nightforce. In the mean time I will just be saving money! Thank you for all of your help!
You will never regret saving up and buying a nicer scope. You will however regret buying a scope that is a compromise. Ask me how I know.

No compromise: Tanget Theta

You will never regret it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Within in last 3 years, I've made several scope purchases for myself and few other friends. All the scopes we purchased were different models except for a couple of XTRII. Since, you're still in school, even if you save up, I guess you are not going to be considering $2500 range, right?

Allow me to make a couple of recommendations on the best bang for the buck scopes we've came to conclusion. For around $1,000, go with XTRII. PST may come a hundred bucks or so short, but way we experienced on both, XTRII just beat PST in every way. Vortex's warranty was great, but I would rather have less warranty and not having to do with broken down scope. Why would you need a warranty if it doesn't break.

Second one is, for around $1500. Steiner's T5Xi. It has German glasses with American turret. First gen was failure on turret part. They've been warrantying the turrets, but latest products on the market has been all fixed and updated. Glasses are top class and turret tracks. I've read them being used by competitors at the National level.

Both scope I mentioned were in 5x - 25x power range. For lower power, it will cost less. If must go with lowest cost, try not to go below XTRII. That's what my first hand experience told me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Within in last 3 years, I've made several scope purchases for myself and few other friends. All the scopes we purchased were different models except for a couple of XTRII. Since, you're still in school, even if you save up, I guess you are not going to be considering $2500 range, right?

Allow me to make a couple of recommendations on the best bang for the buck scopes we've came to conclusion. For around $1,000, go with XTRII. PST may come a hundred bucks or so short, but way we experienced on both, XTRII just beat PST in every way. Vortex's warranty was great, but I would rather have less warranty and not having to do with broken down scope. Why would you need a warranty if it doesn't break.

Second one is, for around $1500. Steiner's T5Xi. It has German glasses with American turret. First gen was failure on turret part. They've been warrantying the turrets, but latest products on the market has been all fixed and updated. Glasses are top class and turret tracks. I've read them being used by competitors at the National level.

Both scope I mentioned were in 5x - 25x power range. For lower power, it will cost less. If must go with lowest cost, try not to go below XTRII. That's what my first hand experience told me.
This is true, I probably won't be looking for a $2500 dollar scope. And thank you for your advice!

·
Banned
132 Posts
nightforce has the 4.5-14x for 1000, probably less if you find a used one.
top of the line 30 mm luepold used. several companies have top of the line,
when found used are good deals.
i have bought ans sold rifles to get the scope.
i paid about $100 for a 4-12x-40mm 30mm tube luepold that way.

·
Banned
132 Posts
as a vendor, i hope all can see your biased position.
while i have nightforce on 4 of my rifles, i have many more luepolds.
it really depends on the user and the need.
i would guess at least half of the benchrest world still uses luepolds.
they make great hunting scopes for the better shooters.
we are all entitled to opinions
Top of the line and leupold haven't occupied the same sentence for a lot of years.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
as a vendor, i hope all can see your biased position.
while i have nightforce on 4 of my rifles, i have many more luepolds.
it really depends on the user and the need.
i would guess at least half of the benchrest world still uses luepolds.
they make great hunting scopes for the better shooters.
we are all entitled to opinions
Luepold being junk is a pretty common sentiment throughout the Long Range shooting community by anyone who has had a substantial amount of time behind the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed... might make a decent hunting scope but about every luepold i have been behind had tracking issues. And i have shot with some higher end luepolds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts