Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I just had witnessed something the other day that honestly did not sit right with me. I was out browsing and there is the firearm/golf store (weird combination) that's not far from my house that I have herd people have mixed reviews about. So I wanted to have a gander my self, so I walk in and they have a decent selection of accessories and good selection of firearms at decent price....but I over heard the owner talking to a guy about doing a transfer for a gun the guy had bought online. After the information the guy received he walked out and I would have to, the owner was gonna charge him 40.00 to do the transfer just because he didn't buy the gun from them.

Now I most people charge 25.00 and that's fine I know a business is to make money and that not a bad price, I personally charge 15.00 cause it dont take me much of my time to get it done. Especially if the customer knows the paperwork. Here in Tennessee they have made it pretty simple were it can be accomplished online and takes a couple of seconds to get a confirmation. I want to know what you all think of the outrageous price of the transfer and why.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm a home based 01 and I charge 20.00 (plus 13.00 for the state handgun background check on handguns only) but I know most B&M shops charge a lot more because they'd rather sell someone the gun they have sitting in their cabinet, than just do a transfer on one that was bought online. I guess it makes sense to me...

A very popular gun store in my town charges 60.00 for a transfer. The closest Gander Mountain charges 75.00!

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
$20-30 is reasonable (though I will call around and ask prices, and whoever is $25 or under gets the shipment!), and it should not vary based on whether the firearm were bought there or not. If a shop is so strapped that they have to do that, then maybe they need to reevaluate their business plan and figure out a way to sell more steel...

-Nate

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I can understand the larger stores charging more. Some stores around here actually refuse to do transfers. The reason I understand it is because it is not their standard means of business...even though they are a gun store. If they are not excited about doing transfers the easiest way of discouraging it is to charge higher amounts. I used to run a roofing company and I would charge outrageous prices for any repairs that people wanted done. Reason is I didn't make any much money on repairs and I didn't want to have to do a bunch of them instead of complete roofs.

Now...if I was a small gun shop I would transfer anything I could for a reasonable price in the name of customer service. I had a dealer close to here who would transfer for $15 or two for $25 and would rather transfer than find and order what you wanted. We had a good relationship and I transferred several through him until he moved out of state. He would also transfer suppressors for $50, but he could get order suppressors for me cheaper than I could find them.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
$50-$75 is common here. That's on top of the states DROS fee of $25. (Oh moving day can't come soon enough) I found a home based guy in town here that charges $25.

To be honest, I don't blame shops for charging that much for transfers. If you think about it, it's telling the customer, it's okay for you to shop elsewhere and I'll help you do it. I get it looks good for customer service and all, but small business owners don't want to spend their time not selling their product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done a lot of transfers at my LGS that charges $20. They have never given me any issues, and it has led to a few impulse buys from them as well.

Bottom line, if the transfer cost would have been too much, then they would have lost out on other sales as well. As it sits, I make it a point to go in there on a regular basis because I like their business model.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
natdscott, pjmarshake
I agree with the both of you doing transfers are part of being a FFL holder. If you don't want to do the transfer or charge an outrageous price then you are loosing future potential business. It really blew my mind the owner looked at him and said that, I can see now why the place has mixed reviews. I understand us gunsmiths are sometimes far and few atleast were I live and yes for what we do it can get pricey but I would rather charge a little less then others for my services to gain business then charge high prices cause I think I deserve it or because I don't want to do a small job because it don't bring much money in. I do Gunsmithing cause I enjoy firearms and working on them. If I can help others in the process ....GREAT!!!

Do I deserve to get paid for what I do.....yes. Not to the extent of wanting to become rich from it, I'm a small shop, and I do really well, although right now business is slow as far as smithing. I depend on Internet and local sales, everyone is on vacation right now but about the time the hunting season rolls around then everyone wants there firearms yesterday.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I would rather charge a little less then others for my services to gain business then charge high prices cause I think I deserve it or because I don't want to do a small job because it don't bring much money in. I do Gunsmithing cause I enjoy firearms and working on them. If I can help others in the process ....GREAT!!!
This is the kind of shop I want to do business with...however this is not the business plan of large chain stores.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the kind of shop I want to do business with...however this is not the business plan of large chain stores.
You are correct the chain stores could not keep there doors open for the way I run my business but they can still honest and fair. Have a set price don't just jack it up that one time because your mad they did not purchase it from you store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts