Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I assume we know about OVER THERE that permiers this week on FX. Its about Iraq and obvisouly "being over there".
Whats your guy's take on this? Could this be the next Band of Brothers? Or no? From what I can tell, it shows both the sand box and also domestic point of views...something BoB never did, they only showed the view of the 506th PIR. Hmm I don;t thikn it will but I need to see the first one first.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/origina ... /main.html

·
Registered
994 Posts
Can we leave television off these forums, lest it be about the great Richard Dean Anderson, or that awesome piece of art: Miami Vice.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but I agree with Scatch, there are way to many off topic posts lately. Like music, people going on vacation, and alot of other things not related to the sniping/tactical community. I have learned alot from this forum and would like to continue to do so, but I don't learn alot from b.s. threads and they just waste my time. Let's try to keep somewhat on the topics this site was created for.

Hope I haven't pi$$ed anyone off too bad, but we need to moderate ourselves sometimes. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come on, its a misc forum for crying out loud. ITs where off topic post belong. If u have a question a bout a caliber, mounting scopes, etc, theres plenty of other forums to use. Each being pertinent to a specific question. So in my opinon this Misc forum is for off topic and "off-topic-snipeing" threads. All forums need to have a off topic area, always. But if its going to be like this then I wont show as many times anymore. Ya need to loose that seriousness and just chill and have fun sometimes. Thinkin about it, the majority of the forum is all releated to sniping, and firearms. While the misc thread is the very tiny minority. again its my 2 cent

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The "original" intent of the MISC area was to handle all topics about sniping that did not fit into the other area. But I also realize there should be a place for "some" off topic threads to be posted, and this MISC area has become the location. I am okay with some (but please, NOT ALL) threads being off topic. I would prefer that they remain somewhat related as in associated with the military, or law enforcement, or guns or gun laws, etc. But I am not ready to ban people yet for posting off topic. The original topic of this thread I thought was okay. It related to military operations in Iraq and a TV show supposedly reporting it. Fox is noted for being more conservative than the other major networks, so it may actually have a good slant on everything. Who knows. Now, if the thread was about the next episode of CI or other prime time show, than I would probably put my foot down.

MEL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mele, alright I understand. You and Recoils post makes clear sense to me now.

And thank you for your comment on the topic itself.
This Wednesday at 2200 EST Over There premiers its pilot. From what I understand it runs untill 2400 or the second hour just is a repeat of the pilot. Saturday at 2200 EST the pilot plays again. Sunday at 2300 the pilot plays once again. heh

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I have to admit, I see the merits of both sides of the arguement. *ahem* I should also admit I am happy Mel already spoke on the matter :lol:

I had agreed with him though, and was about to post it before I read his. I have a sweet spot for this topic since it is military related, and an important issue right now. It could do some good too, to show people at home what it is like to be serving in Iraq, if the show is done right. I'm sure some of us would like to talk about that here.

Hey, who knows, there might be a sniper on the show. Now that I know we could talk about

I think it's an interesting idea to air the show during wartime, and I know it's already controversial. I think the one thing we should steer clear from is our political feelings of the issue, as the show deals with them. I know Mel does not like us talking about such things, and I truly see his point. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and I'm all up for debating the merits of gear and rifles, but even the political arguements I was in here got ugly pretty quick sometimes. I'd rather not have us fighting with each other.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
one good thing of these "off topic" subjects is that we get to know each other better--which i think is one of the best part about forums--like muzz just said: this tv show might have snipers in it--then it would be proper for these forums

just my $0.02

dom

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.
Even if we don't see a M24 SWS. M82. M40, or a scoped M14 it still is military related.

My only chance to see it is at 2300 on Wed :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm sorry if I came off overly critical, I just think some topics would be better for other websites. I like most of what is posted. Also mostly Recoil has alot of good things to say, and I have learned from him. I also understand that the younger guys want to fit in, which is great, we definatly need them to help us carry on the shooting sports and help fight to keep our freedoms. I just think that some topics are a little too off topic, I don't mind most of them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
jc71corvette,

Brother, if you hadn't posted it, I would have never know. Now I don't want to miss it...TIVO anyone.

Thanks jc71corvette

I'm very interested to see what they say or show.

8)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
also "shootout" is on the history channel tonight at 8pmcentral looks like it could be somewhat like it--thought id let ya guys know

dom

·
Registered
266 Posts
Shootout is really good, but it's really a documetary series, not a show per say. I'd still recomend it though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NO problem :)

So what you guys think of it? Sure didn't end so good (story wise)
I think things are a little dramatized through out it all. I don't know though guys. It didn't have the feel that Band of Brothers had.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts