Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After giving my first Garand a good cleaning, I push down on the follower so I can close the bolt and store her away as usual. This time though my palm didn’t have a good hold on the op-rod and forward the bolt goes with my thumb in the way. :shock:
Not a big mess, but it hurts and I’m holding a cold beverage to ease the pain.

Anyways I'm wondering, any of you guys out there have a spotless record of getting your thumb out in time before the bolt comes home?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have actually never (beat the **** out of my wood desk) gotten garand thumb.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
There is a reason the Garand doesn't have a forward assist.... it doesn't need it. Yes my Garand has whacked my thumb a time or two as well.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Took me 6 months to build up enough bad karma by swearing it would never happen to me.

Felt like hammering my thumb by accident

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was handling one in a surplus store. Because I was (Still am) a jerky, paranoid bastard, my hand was a blur when I closed that bolt.

Then I got cocky, and probably fractured my thumb doing the same thing on a few other rifles. Not Garands though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This is how i operate the Garand oprod... with the forend of the palm of my hand... pull back the oprod and hold steadfast... with my thumb... push the follower down and SLOWLY move the oprod forward... when the oprod is fully closed... pull it back to where the rear of the bolt is back just enough to fill the slit in the rear of the reciever (under the rear sight) and pull the trigger... then once again... slowly let the oprod forward... this will ensure the face of the bolt and the firing pin to not be damaged during letting the hammer forward. (I learned this in DM school for the M-14... it works just as well for the M-1)

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
OK guys, you are making guys afraid of my girls here. Below are pics of how to manipulate a garand op rod and follower for rapid reloads, or any other reason really, there is no reason to fear M1 Thumb if you do it this way.

this pic is of a garand oprod closed, trigger group open for long term storage(more than 1 day) toprevent stock compression.

This pic shows the proper hand position to pull the oprod back/control the forward motion

This pic shows where and how to use your thumb/bladed hand to relase the bolt/oprod group.

THis pic shows the release in progress

THis pic shows the end result bolt closed

I hope this helps, please dont let the grand old lady scare you, just like any lady you have to treat her right and she will love you forever :D

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yea, the stock on that Garand is beautiful!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thanks guys, that stock is a little unique, it is an Italian Garnd stock tha that they cut down ofr 7.62 NATO garnds, and then decided to build back up to normal lenght to sell in a parts kit. It was painted black when I got it, and was brand new never installed on a rifle, as I had to finish inletting it to fit mine. I paid 20 buck for it so it was steal. The guards are Wenig Walnut, that I did for another guy but he did not like the grain so I kept em.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pointers BC and mlammers. I ran through the motions a few times and I think I’m getting it down smoothly without jerking from the fear of the bolt. Hopefully this will be my first and last Garand thumb.

*knocks on wood*

That stock is sure a beauty mlammers.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No Garand thumb here.

But I am really scared of the Hakim rifle. A friend has one and he showed it to me.

When you release the bolt on that puppy, it slams home with the power and force of the French guillotine. I am sure it could amputate a finger.

I'm not joking about that. So if anyone here ever gets an Egyptian Hakim or a Swedish Ljungman or a Rashid, be extra careful.

Mad

·
Registered
6 Posts
ouch

i have a garand that i bought from CMP. im only fifteen but i have been to the range with it at least two dozen times. i gave my dad the money and he baught it for me. i have never gotton garand thumb but im sure im in for a good whackin sooner or later !

i always operate the rifle with two hands, but i can do it with one, and so far i have a perfect record, i just hope it stays that way !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts