Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these guys? Any info would help, I've been to the website just looking for some opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I've looked into them, but have no direct experience. From what I was able to gather they are decent barrels, but not in the same class as a Kreiger or Hart, etc. The next tier below. Again, this is 2nd or 3rd hand info, I do not have direct experience with them

MEL

·
Registered
106 Posts
-harley,
I have worked with Pac nor several times and can say with confidence that they are just as good as Hart or Krieger. There Barrels are great, I have had them mount several on my actions and done several of my own, they take pride in their work. Also, they have great customer service and saved me from losing a very pricy action once. Try them, I don't think yuo'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had a Pac Nor barrel put onto a Remington 700 long action for me (by Pac Nor) and to be brutally honest... they did a **** job on the installation. Not to bash any one or try to give them a bad rep... but they did a **** job on the installation of the barrel.

The barrel i ordered was as follows:

Contour: "Super Match" Heavy Palma, 31" long... Chamber diameter is 1.230" and 5" in length... it tapers down to .925" from the 5" to 7.5" mark messured from the chamber end of the barrel forward.
Caliber: .300 Winchester Magnum
Rifling: 1-10" Right hand 5 Groove "ACCU-TWIST" Button pulled

I had it put onto the action for $250... this includes lapping and truing the action. All in all it was about $530. The barrel was made very well... and the lapping and truing on the action was done allright... but whoever installed the barrel onto the action must have been having a pretty bad day. :roll: After i contacted them about problems with the installation of the barrel they said they had test fired it and everything was fine with the rifle when it left there shop... but if i should have any other questions or comments to call them back. So instead of BSing around with them i just took the rifle to a local gunstore and had the barrel taken off and put back on... properly... this time. It worked awesome once i was put on properly. :)

To sum it all up... they make good barrels from what i have experianced... but theres no way i would trust them to install a barrel on any of my rifles ever again. That was my first... and probably my last... Pac Nor barrel.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
How was the installation screwed up? Its pretty hard to screw up threading a barrel onto a remington action, tightening, and then chambering with a HS gage.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It was very very diffucult to close the bolt... and nearly impossible to load a round into the chamber and close the bolt (even after putting 80 rounds through it). Head spacing was messed up... thats what the gunsmith i took it to said. I dont think they headspaced it... maybe he got a "field go" and thought it would be fine... heck i dont know. But i do know... it was nearly impossible to load a round into the chamber and i had to use quite some muscle to close the bolt. After i got the barrel reheadspaced by the local gunsmith and reinstalled... it worked great. It was very accurate and worked great. It had a McMillan A2 stock and a relativly cheap scope on it... and i wasnt to happy with the way the action turned out. So i sold it... and bought an LTR and had alot of work done to it... its the one i have posted on here. Im very happy with my LTR and the custom work done by Arm USA in Southern California. www.ArmUSA.com :wink:

BC

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have proably left this a little late. I can vouch for MADDCO barrels. They dont have a web site and they dont advertise. They dont need to. They are sold by word of mouth. Accuracy international will again be using MADDCO barrels in thier rifles (but thats a whole other story).

You can contact Nevl Madden at MADDCO (he is the Owner and head honcho)

46 Industrial Ave.
Wilsonton Industrial Estate,
Toowoomba 4350
Queensland, Australia
Ph/Fax +61 7 4634 5622

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BC you are the second person with a chambering problem that I have talked to. I dont remember the caliber but the guy said it would literally shove the bullet down in to the neck before the bolt would close. He did the same thing you did by taking it to a gunsmith for proper headspacing, after that he said it shot great. :shock:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
All in all it was about $530
Well that is a little steep! Hart will do the same thing (correct me if I am wrong) for about $520 +/-. That is probably what I will do with my next rifle!! The pac-nor barrels are what come on several of the new 50BMG uppers that are on the market now and they have won quite a few 1000yd matches. Look up "ALS 50BMG", he has won a bunch of shoots with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats a mistake I would have expected them to catch, I've gotten pretty far into the hands on work and do most of my barrels myself these days, but regardless the quality of there barrels is awesome. I have a 7mm rem mag that puts groups down to .05 center to center. Thats not every day of course. but I thought it would be worth mentioning

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
yep, certainly head space problem, but at least they spaced it on the SAFE side. If they went too deep they get dangerous, as in blowing up (thats why you use a go AND no-go gauge). Sounds like they were just being conservative on the headspace, and they "usually" will losen up a little. Perhaps their go gauge is just a tad off, or worn.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mele said:
Perhaps their go gauge is just a tad off, or worn.
MEL
Thats allways a possibility... and yes it is a good thing they "cautioned" on the safe side... with extra tight tollerances and not extra loose. :) Of coarse... if it were extra loose i wouldnt have shot it. I thought possibly it would loosen up after 40 - 60 rounds or so. I fired 40 rounds for break in... then 40 rounds of match ammo to zero in and do an accuracy test. After 80 rounds the bolt was still just as diffucult to close... and once the chamber got slightly fouled (normal fouling) it was practically impossible to close the bolt with a live round in the chamber. I didnt feel comfortable shooting it untill i got it reheadspaced by the local smith...

Like i said before... after i got the rifle re-headspaced it shot wonderfully with no problems at all. Allthough after that whole ordeal... i was just a little fed up with the rifle. it grouped on average .75 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with Federal 190gr SMK ammo (which i was not terribly pleased with). I ended up selling it a short time after getting it fixed and bought my 1st LTR... wich is now my most often used bolt rifle.

End result... i would not highly recommend them but you can give them a try if you want. Kreiger... Hart... Schneider... these are barrel comanies that i would highly recommend. Unfortinatly... i dont think Schneider has a website (at least i cant seem to find one). But here is Schneider's contact info...

Schneider Rifle Barrels, Inc.
Dept GA
12202 N. 62nd Place
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Im guessing that ALL barrel manufacturers have a slip up every know and then... and i might have been the rare case. I was in a gun store a few years back and i remember seeing a guy at the counter talking with an employee of the store about his brand new LTR he just bought... apperently he could not chamber a snap-cap no matter how hard he tried. Keep in mind this is a brand new in the box Rem. 700 LTR in .308 that was just removed from the box at the store... The employee of the store examined the chamber and imediatly noticed something very very wrong... there was rifling extending down the throut... down the neck... and the inside of the chamber on one of the sides was slightly "chewed up" as he put it. This proves no matter how good of a company it is... it can allways have its foul ups.

BC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt about it, when your dealing with tolerances like those required in a precision rifle a slip-up is very easy! Hart seems to have a pretty loyal following, but the only problem there is they are running about 24 weeks right now on a barreled action!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Harley said:
No doubt about it, when your dealing with tolerances like those required in a precision rifle a slip-up is very easy! Hart seems to have a pretty loyal following, but the only problem there is they are running about 24 weeks right now on a barreled action!
:shock: durn.............glad I am in no hurry!

That may be a project for next year :lol:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pac-Nor barrels

I have a 26" #8 contour cyro treated barrel on my rebuilt 700P. It is outstanding and I am very happy with it. Now I can't comment on Pac-Nor's installation as a rifle build here in Canada did the work, but it is a super product that I have nothing but good things to say about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts