1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Niiiiiice! I second the notion to make this a sticky! My 917v is free-floated from the factory :( -I wanted to do it myself. Where the barrel meets the receiver, there is still some wood that touches the barrel, but it isn't a defect. Do you think I should sand that area down? Also, if I pillar-bed (or bed, period) my 917v, would it be beneficial? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
A little self-serving, but I Stickied this as it's one of the best DIY bedding instruction sets I've found and didn't want to spend twenty minutes searching next time ;)

-matt

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Thanks javentre, I'll add another that was posted here so folks have multiple resources:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40782

This is another good one from a well-known builder.

I like the RD Precision tutorial, the only thing I'm not a fan of is installing the pillars before the rest of the bedding, as you end up with full contact on only one of the pillars. I like the idea of doing it all in one step so that both pillars have good contact with the action. Either way, thanks for the link!

-matt

·
Registered
304 Posts
LongRifles, those are some very, very, impressive bedding jobs. Dang, I'd pay a premium for that kind of work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks.

Little off topic, but WTH. . . :twisted:

I started in this stuff 8 years ago. Was hired just as a machinist for a gun shop that built Olympic Target rifles. 6 months later I was the floor manager there, just sorta happened that way.

I left in 2003 when I accepted a production management position with Nesika Bay Precision and Dakota Arms. Left them in 2006 to come to Iraq working for the State Dept. at the US Embassy here in Baghdad as a security contractor.

That chapter is coming to the home stretch and now I'm fixin to get back to what I really want to do.

Make guns.

The rifles themselves aren't really that remarkable. I don't have any super secret NASA tricks that are stored in a bunker somewhere. It's just good parts, a little machine work, and some attention to detail.

I use CNC equipment as much as possible because I'm an inherently lazy person by nature. I'd much rather sit in front a computer only once and write a program than can run over and over instead of being chained to a bench all day with a file and a dremel tool. I don't have the patience for that.

I want the rifles I build to have an identity and character that shooters will notice.

I don't claim to be better or worse than anyone else, but I will say the guns work pretty well and they do look a bit different than what some folks are used to seeing.

(Kyle Leibertrau, 2007 World Palma Champion, Junior Division, US TEAM)

Thanks for the interest and kind words.

If anyone ever has any additional questions, I can be reached at:

[email protected]

~C

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker, BFFOC Instructor
LongRifles, Inc. (coming soon)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thems some beautiful rifles Chad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
...wtf? bot much?

·
Registered
205 Posts
+1 to Roscoe's how-to, I've used it and am very happy with the results. I also agree with his stance on not wrapping the action and not bedding a barrel pad, which seem to be pretty common practices elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Bumping this old thread...

Who has done this? How hard is it really? It looks simple, I can bondo, fiberglass, patch etc so the concept is there. I got a Boyds Varmint thumb hole on the way and want to do this. Here's some more questions that I really would like answered.

1. I've seen people use JB weld...should I fork over the cash for the Devcon or would the JB weld work as as good?
2. Also seen people use brass fittings for pillars and heard of using old aluminum arrows. Is there a place I can get pillars from or would one of those home remedy items work?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
For wood, I'd go with Devcon or Brownell's Acraglass bedding material. Brownell's sells pillars too. Get the adjustable type.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Have you used the Acraglas? The kit says its a two gun kit. My buddy has a Mosin and Boyds stock that needs bedding too, so just want to make sure we get enough.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Have you used the Acraglas? The kit says its a two gun kit. My buddy has a Mosin and Boyds stock that needs bedding too, so just want to make sure we get enough.
Yes, I've used Acraglas, but I don't recall if there was enough materials for 2 rifles, but that was about 10 years ago. Call Brownell's and ask them. I wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't used it before.

Don't forget the pillars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts