Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need a truck toolbox for my mazda B2500. It is regular cab(small) and I need more space to put my tool/oil/boostercable.......

I want a plastic one because they are black(no bling-bling) and the 2 cover flip open from each side.

There is a sale at a local store and the delta aluminum truck toolbox are like only 30 buck more but they have only 1 cover that open from the rear!

Do the aluminum one are way better than a plastic one? Better investment? Longer life? What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
They make the aluminum ones in black too.

I had a friend that had a plastic one that warped with age. That was quite a while back. Could of been a cheap one or the way they made them back then.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Plastic will fade, warp and give with age. In a hot climate withing a couple of months even. Get an alim one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Go with metal of any kind over plastic for something like that. Plastic toolboxes just don't hold up to any kind of real use. If you use your truck for work, and are constantly getting into the box the definately get the metal. If its just storage for things you may need just in case, a quality plastic toolbox could work (if you really needed to save the money)

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
As a guy who owns a bodyshop, I see a lot of trucks come through that look beat to crap because of the toolbox.It doesn't really matter wether it's plastic or aluminum.Both will look like crap after a year or so. The plastic will fade and warpafter a couple years, the aluminum will corrode in about one.On the upside, you can always refinish the aluminum box.If you get the aluminum, put some cap insulator between it and the box, and double it.Or put a bedliner under it.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Aluminum all the way. The first toolbox I ever bought was plastic. BIG mistake, but I was 17 and broke at the time, point being it warped and the latches broke in no time. Since all I have used is aluminum. Yes it will corrode but that is whyy they make mothers, it can be polished right on up. But when it comes to durablity aluminum is the way to go. By the way you can get them is black also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jeffdorr said:
As a guy who owns a bodyshop, I see a lot of trucks come through that look beat to crap because of the toolbox.It doesn't really matter wether it's plastic or aluminum.Both will look like crap after a year or so. The plastic will fade and warpafter a couple years, the aluminum will corrode in about one.On the upside, you can always refinish the aluminum box.If you get the aluminum, put some cap insulator between it and the box, and double it.Or put a bedliner under it.

Jeff
Being the body shop guy that you are, I trust your word. But I have to disagree. I know of atleast ONE truck that has had an alumminum diamond plate box for like 5 years, and he bought it used. NO corrosion at all, just some dents and a few scrapes. even the scrapes arnt rusted.

Just don't get a plastic, it will look like poo and will work like poo after a nice hot summer.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
The plastic ones seem to warp and not close tight....cant take as much abuse.....and they make black diamond plate ones also.

here is a couple of pics of my truck which has a black alum one.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Neither plastic nor aluminum be
It's a steel truck box for Fluffy and me.

Delta makes a really nice steel truck box for about $450

Mad

·
Registered
53 Posts
whbonney26 said:
The plastic ones seem to warp and not close tight....cant take as much abuse.....and they make black diamond plate ones also.

is it just me, or are you running boards sagging?

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
DangerDoom said:
whbonney26 said:

is it just me, or are you running boards sagging?
They go lower in the front. They were not made for that truck and the block in the front is lower than the back. They function same though. Just some I had and made work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what ever works. i recently had to get rid of my truck. my stump puller finaly died. 1991 Ford F150, inline 6. that thing could yank stumps in idle.

i like the tundras alot.

anyways, just dont get plastic, alumminum or steel. i forgot they had steel ones, id go with that over anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I didn't know the plastic one are that bad!
I''ll go aluminum, but just in a couple of week....Right now I need a rail and some ring :)
Thank you for all your reply :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
on this subject...

I wont hijackthis thread, but wanted to add... I just bought a 2006 tacoma 4dr... did you know the whole BED is plastic? It's actually pretty thick crap, and it seems to hold up ok, but still I worry about the fading, cracking etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is a little late, but I just thought I would get my two cents in. I have owned quite a few different service trucks over the years and have developed a few opinions on tool boxes.

Plastic wouldn't be worth it if they paid you to take it. These are your tools you are trying to protect.

Aluminum or steel will be ok if you aren't planning on hauling much weight in them. I do a lot of work on rough roads and require quite a few tools, after a year or so every aluminum or steel tool box I have had has had the welds crack out which isn't much good either. The other bad thing about the aluminum and steel boxes is the tools rubbing on the metal of the box creates a black powder which gets on everything, so your tools are constantly dirty.

What I have found works the best are wooden tool boxes. Most truck accessory shops carry these and they are great, the only maintenance required is re-staining them once a year. Also since they are wood you can get pretty much any configuration you want, and you will be able to add dividers or shelves in them quite easily if you later decide you want that.

If you really don't want the flashy looks, the other thing that works well is a Greenlee box, they make them in quite a few sizes and they are the toughest tool boxes out there period.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts