Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always adding new equipment to me gear bag. I'm looking for recommendation for a tri-pod with a shooting platform Nothing to fancy but durable and needs to collapse small enough to fit into a backpack

·
Registered
72 Posts
My experience over the years, is that much like snipers used to be in the military, police Sniper teams are the red headed stepchildren of SWAT.

When I started, I was issued a Remington 700p sws (rifle, Harris bipod, leupold vx3 3.5-10x40, sling, and pelican case to hold it). Other than uniforms, I have had to come out of pocket for every other piece of equipment, or go without, including a lot of my training ammo.

Money that is allocated for equipment usually ends up going to the entry teams. Having attended large training events with snipers from several different teams present, it seems to be rather common, sadly.

Someone already beat me to it, but I was going to say manfrotto tripod with pistol grip ball head, and hog saddle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trekker. You hit it the nail on the head. Our team snipers are the step children. All of our gear and weapons are out of pocket with the exception of ammo and some training. So I buy one piece at a time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Buying equipment is common for smaller multi jurisdictional (on call) teams... large departments big budgets tend to provide more equipment. I had a choice to provide my own or use the departments older (beat up) Rem 700 with 8 yr old scope... I chose to provide my own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do belong to a regional team where the budget is limited and most guys purchase a lot of their own equipment Which has its pros and cons. I can purchase the gear I feel is best for me downside in the money I have to fork out

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do belong to a regional team where the budget is limited and most guys purchase a lot of their own equipment Which has its pros and cons. I can purchase the gear I feel is best for me downside in the money I have to fork out
That sucks, no luck with grants or DHS programs?

I guess the chief is right, I am spoiled.

~Ben

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Local PD came to me a while back wanting a quote for a marksman rifle package. Budget: $1800

That is for everything. Rifle, optics, rings, base, bipod, sling, soft case, hard case, etc. Needless to say, they did not become a customer of mine. Absolutely ridiculous that budget is the primary factor in our judicial system. This doesn't mean I think a PD in a town with a population of 2,000 should have an MRAP. However I think it demonstrates just how detached from reality a lot of PD's are. I know guys that make $9 per hour that have nicer rifles than the one the local PD has.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Dept. just recently purchased there first patrol rifles ..... Ever !!!!! My town borders south west Philadelphia. So you can imagine what we deal with

·
Registered
434 Posts
My Dept. just recently purchased there first patrol rifles ..... Ever !!!!! My town borders south west Philadelphia. So you can imagine what we deal with
Wow, lots of companies offer substantial discounts if you are buying things on your own and know who to ask. Burris gives 50% off to individual law enforcement officers Vortex is 35% Leupold 60% off accessories and 40% off optics Savage is 40% off. If you contact the company direct they will email you a PDF, it takes awhile to get the product but it's way cheaper.

Good luck,

~Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
There just aren't many grants out there that could be used to get sniper related gear, especially if the population the team serves is under 250,000.

There are grants for peripheral stuff. We got a grant for body armor and used it to get the entry team heavy entry vests. Most of the upgrades to the SWAT mobile command center came from grants. But to get a grant that allows buying a decent spotting scope....

If anyone knows of any let me know and I will start hounding the admins tomarrow.

The crap coming from the 1033 program is just that, crap.

Our second Sniper team rifle is a FN PBR that one of the last snipers bought from a sniper at Ft. Jackson. It was one of those situations were he mentioned we were looking at getting a another rifle and someone said they had a rifle at the house I'll sell....

We have had nothing but issues getting that rifle ready to be fielded, and it's 90% an admin issue. When I became involved the rifle had it's second scope on it, and its simply a matter that they won't order decent glass. I even gave them a dozen options, got quotes, etc, to put everything from basic but good enough to scopes so nice the rifle isn't worthy. A couple weeks later they handed me a freaking osprey international and was told literally that there is no difference between it, and a leupold mark 4.

That pos has 2 innovative new features. Tap adjustments and the click roulette. Just tap a turret and your POI will shift, then turn a turret one click, and take bets on how far your POI will shift. It could be 1/8", it could be 1 foot, noone knows, but that's half the fun.

I gave them options from 250 to 1600, and got a $75 hunk of junk, but they didn't bat an eye at dropping $2700 on Aimpoint and mounts for the entry team.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me team will supply m4s ,suppressor, heavy raid vest and radios which are garbage and you can barely hear the guy on the floor above you. Hand guns are issued by the different depts. which means we literally have 5-7 different handed guns in the stack at a time.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is further evidence of what I was trying to tell some people on another forum.
In many areas the police are outnumbered and outgunned by the bad guys.
It is the lack of training and organization and the inability to work in cohesive groups of the bad guys that allow the police to have a better chance.
At least in the USA, for now.
If what is going on in Mexico ever gets here on a large scale Posse Comitatus might be rethought.
That would not be good all the way around.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is further evidence of what I was trying to tell some people on another forum.
In many areas the police are outnumbered and outgunned by the bad guys.
It is the lack of training and organization and the inability to work in cohesive groups of the bad guys that allow the police to have a better chance.
At least in the USA, for now.
If what is going on in Mexico ever gets here on a large scale Posse Comitatus might be rethought.
That would not be good all the way around.
You are 100% correct

1 - 18 of 18 Posts