Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, in my opinion, any gun can and will KB if mistreated. This episode was possibly due to one cartridge being with just enough powder to cycle the gun and he to put a seond round into the barrel. Possibly. Few guns survive that.

As for polymer vs steel. I think it's more due to modern design that you recieve less injury from a modern KB, than that of a WW2 gun KBing. I could be wrong. But I do believe the focus today is to make guns that will alow the shooter to replace his gun and get back to shooting, and not ending up blind and/or without hands.

What is for sure is that the few Glocks and USPs KBing, I've yet to hear about one serious injury. A swollen hand with a few cuts and some minor cuts in your face is, after all, peanuts when you consider the forces involved. This particular USP did what it was supposed to do. Normally, the slide should only require a check by a competent gunsmith before it's back into action, the rest...well, the detonation has to go somewhere. And personally, I prefer that to be down the magwell and out to the sides on the weak sides on the fram, instead of slamming the slide in your face - or just breaking the slide up into tiny fragments...like an old M2 handgrenade.

It's quite possible the polymer frames are weaker than steel frames. But so what? An exploding gun that doesn't rip off your arm can be made of wood for all I care. Steel fragments tend to be a bit more cruel to whatever they hit. I personally have no doubts about shooting a polymer framed gun. Even less so when we're talking about HK and Glock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speaking of KBs, have you guys seen this one?

http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

M1A completely blown to shreds by a german surplus .308

makes me think twice before shooting surplus ammo in my .308

sorry the post is completely off topic, but as a newbie shooter, kBs are scaring the crap out of me.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
robintico said:

sorry the post is completely off topic, but as a newbie shooter, kBs are scaring the crap out of me.
Don't let it sacre you. It is extreamly unusual to have that happen.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yep, I agree. It happens - but (this is me guessing), I would say the chances of being eaten by a shark is greater than having a KB as long as you don't do something overly stupid. And after all, the odds of being eaten by a shark is less than being hit by lightning. And over here, when we want to point out how unlikely something is, we compare it to the chances of being hit by lightning. :lol: It's hardly ever happens...

But yeah, I do think about the fact that I AM using ammo I haven't loaded, and I therefor don't know what's inside the case, and I don't know in what condition the brass is, either. But I only think about it when I'm in the office or something..not when I'm at the range. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Recoil said:
Please don't let this isolated incident scare you from shooting. If you start having that mentality, you might as well build a concrete bunker 12 feet underground with blast valves, an NBC filtered ventillation system, 30 years worth of food, and a small armory, then live in it 24/7/365 for the rest of your life.
I have my hole dug and the concrete will be delivered next week. I do have a shooting range set up inside though. :p

Just kidding. Very good post. I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

For the range, personally, I would rather have a solid steel gun.

For field work I would rather a gun that didn't rust....

·
Registered
307 Posts
robintico said:

The article links to an analysis by Fulton Armory as to the cause of the kB. It appears that the barrel was kept too hot for too long. There were small fractures in the barrel that eventually lead to that.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

madgunsmith said:
I feel safest when I shoot ammo I loaded myself.

Mad
Well I can understand that, needing to have somone to load your rifle for you would be a little silly now wouldn't it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts