Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(don't cringe)

But I have my eye on a polytech for $650, not a steal, but not a bad price as well, most run for $700-$800 I guess. I will post some pics if the dealer will email me some. I welcome your comments before I commit to buy.

I have looked all over the www for info on the rifle (rewelds, parts guns ect.....) The M1A is new to me so is there anything I should look for? I do know it has the Chicom mistery wood stock (in good shape) and a comp (not the orig. type USGI FH).

(Will post pics once I get them)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have herd mixed reports on them. Some folks say the recievers were soft and the rifles unsafe. Others here say the recievers are better than the Springfield armoury ones and that they have built on ones that are more accurate than the SA ones. I know Fulton Armory says the chi-coms are bad, but they are also competing against them. Also looking through their website they seem a tad arragant and to be honest I don't like their tone or attatude. I am sure they build gret products, but they are quick to rip other companies apart to make themselvs look good.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd buy a $400 Norinco up in Canada in a frickin' heartbeat!
You meant to say you would buy 3 in a hartbeat :lol:

I have heard the stories for years about the soft metal, the only thing that I am concerned with is the head space. I am not worried in the least about getting a chicom M1A, I just want to get a good one.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They are great rifles, but do get a USGI bolt, it will be woth the cost.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I can't confirm this, but I don't know if the Norincos for sale here are the same as the older Polytechs. Quality of the older ones may be worse. I did get to handle one, and it seemed okay, but handling ain't owning and shooting.

Mlammers is right though, throw a USGI bolt in it and check the old headspace, you should be off to the races

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Caver,

I bought a Polytech M14 a few years ago at a gun show. I fitted NM sights and bolt, USGI springs and stock, and glass bedded the receiver. That small amount of work turned a sow's ear into a silk purse!! Initial groups with surplus ball ran around 4", but after the mods it will shoot under 2" all day with Hirtenburg or Australian surplus ball. Groups with match ammo run 1.25"-1.5" consistently with a sub 1" group not being uncommon (5-shot groups always). My Springfield NM will outshoot the Polytech (barely), but my "fully-loaded" M1As, M1A Scout and SOCOM-16 will not stay with the Polytech. I have around 8,000rds thru the Polytech with no problems that couldn't be traced to ammo or magazines. I think the Polytech's forged receiver (like the original USGI M14s) is superior to the current cast receivers Springfield is producing. If you are looking for a good starting point and are not vain about labels, the Polytech is excellent. Just be aware that you will have to make some modifications to make a real shooter out of it.

K2

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The only thing not compatible with USGI parts is the gas system, right? I think they use a different plug or something

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well guys I called marstar canada this morning to see if there was any way that a norinco product could enter the US.
I was told that no recivers and no barrels could be shipped into the US. what so ever. There has been a trade embargo since 1998 when the norinco co of china shipped Iran some stainless steel tubing that was used to build rocket motors. This is what I was told from Marstar. They more than anyone would like to see the embargo lifted because they could sell thousands of norico firearms to the states. I was also told that the US is ruthless on tracking down this stuff. you can thank Springfield for that. They are the front runners to stop the lifting of the ban. I was also told that everyone should write their congressmen on the subject. If enough do it something might happen

Maybe the ban will be lifted soon. Sorry guys
cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know that Norinco imports guns for Cowboy Action, why can't they import M1As? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ammohouse, for Cowboy shooting, did you mean you can import those cool double barrel "coach guns" ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep! Norinco makes a copy of the 1897 (pump) 1887 (lever) and the SxS coach gun. They also started making the SxS with hammers, and guys have been shooting them for about a year now. I shoot Stoeger SxS and they're great. I've been shooting Cowboy Action for a while now, I've just started getting interested in precision shooting. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread...back to Polytech!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
meh, no prob. We digress a lot :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have never owned a Chinese "M-14" but i have fired a few. The Norinco-14's i fired were BLAH on accuracy getting about 3 MOA with Federal 168gr GMM ammo. They wernt to reliable either, they both had headspacing problems and one of them had a bolt face that looked like a slow rolling ocean. You can get a surplus US Military M-14 butchered into an "M-1A" for around $900 and it will work alot better.

The Rifleman

1 - 20 of 31 Posts