Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna go shoot a little bit this weekend at the range on base. Not much for stands here so I was wondering what y'all have made to use as a stand. Gonna throw something together inexpensive and about chest high. Gonna put some silhouettes on it. Feel free to share some pictures of what you use so I can gain some more ideas. I'm thinking about using a few 2x4's to create an H base and then bringing some 2x4's vertical and attaching some cardboard. Needa make it lightweight to carry down a 400yd range lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
These are the ones I make for paper stands. I make them all from scrap lumber, nothing over 18" long and have over 30 of them. With the 1x2 on the back edge, I can easily carry four stands at once, with uprights, backers and targets attached. That's a bolt and wing nut in the center:
image.jpg

These are the ones I make for large steel plates, made from a few 2x4's and like 6 screws. I have a video on building them here:

And these are the ones I make for small static plates with leftover pieces from the above steel hangers:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
1417644860218.jpg
That's the back of my stand. Built 2 of them for like 25 bucks I think and about a hour of labor. I do alot of run and gunning and tactical shooting with my AR and pistol. I use it for my 308 also. Works really well. Light weight, comes apart quick. You can even put it under your bed if you want lol

My next project is a gong target I built one last year but my cultivator disc didn't hold up to well to the 308 lol so a ar500 gong will have to replace it

·
Registered
140 Posts
I make mine out of thin, one inch angle iron with rectangular tubing for the uprights. Firing strips go into the uprights to attach the targets. They are lighter and more durable than 2x4 stands and easier to transport and set up. I can build the bases for about $7.00 each using brand new metal and the firing strips run about $1.50 each. I cut those down to five feet in length.

I'm out of town for work but can get a picture or two when I get home in a few days.

Here they are in a video if it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool y'all! Thanks for the ideas. I like the metal idea, although I don't have any skill in metalworking lol.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts

Here's the one I built last week. Used black plumbing pipe. It wasn't cheap, but it works great. The stand got shot twice and it's just fine. If I shoot out one pipe it's only $7 for a new one.

I do need to find some rubber or hose to replace the chain though.

Reactions: scrmblr1982cj8

·
Registered
18 Posts

Here's the one I built last week. Used black plumbing pipe. It wasn't cheap, but it works great. The stand got shot twice and it's just fine. If I shoot out one pipe it's only $7 for a new one.

I do need to find some rubber or hose to replace the chain though.
I like it, simple yet effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to own “T-Master”. These were fully modular target frames.

6116E820-E74F-4A29-BBB1-66E0075EA384.jpeg

·
Registered
175 Posts
These are a couple of targets I just finished up building.

The first is a plate rack with a total of (8) 6" gongs. This target is split into a left and right side. Each side has (3) main targets with a reset target that is revealed after the main targets are hit. We were shooting this at 600 yards a couple weekends ago and it was working great. I've got a couple design changes I would like to make to this one to make it work better for pistol. You can flip the target with a .40 S&W but they don't hit hard enough to reset the system. I got this idea from some targets I have seen for sale online but I was able to build for substantially cheaper.

The second target I built is just a spinner. I had a few gongs left over after the plate rack so decided to build this. Shooting this at 200 yards is a lot of fun. If I was going to built this target again there are also a few things I would change but overall it works real good.

And both targets broke down in the back of the truck in preparation to head out shooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts