Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its almost 4 am, and I'm tired, but I had an idea...for all I know its come up before, but in case it hasn't...How about a postal match?

I've seen em on other websites but haven't ever partaken in one. This one I would be willing to try. I know Mel is probably too busy to judge, but maybe someone can volunteer. I wouldn't mind having targets e-mailed to me or maybe even mailed to me.

In case no one has ever seen a postal match, basically the competitors shoot at their range, and submit their targets to the judges by mail or e-mail...I happen to think all of us SC forum patrons are honorable chaps so cheating shouldn't be an issue. I would definately help organize it.

Basically what I had in mind was any target with a 6 inch bull at 100, 200, and/or 300 M measured, 3 shot groups. Or simply a 3 shot group at 100 m. Measure your group and submit it. Shoot as many targets you like until you have one you think makes ya the king.

I know we all use a lot of rifles and it would be hard organize it by class, but I figure what the hey, you guys have some cool toys, and whoever thinks they can run with the pack can enter with whatever rifle they want. I'll even enter with my Win model 70, like I have a chance! lol

Anyway, what do you guys think? Doable?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that would be a great idea. Just to add my $.02. I would suggest using 100yds since most ranges (at least here) are set up in yds. Also for all of us not lucky enough to have a range that goes past 200 yds perhaps someone could scale the targets down. The only postal matches I have shot have been from Rimfirecentral.com. They are great fun!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I've had a few people request this very thing, and I'm fully in support of it. I would be willing to 'sponsor' them and organize them. I could judge them if everyone requests, or I'd be happy to let others do it also.

I would suggest that it be an ongoing thing, perhaps one every two or three months. Make it different every time. Perhaps the majority of them are 100y, but throw in an occasional 200 and 300, etc And once in a blue moon a 600 or 1000 or something interesting., perhaps even a 10 or 20 round 100y.

MEL

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've done this sort of thing before and it was a good bit of fun. Was always a good excuse to go out to the range and do some work with the Winchester 52. I'd be game, only limit is I'd be competing in the .22LR open-sights division, unless somebody in the Austin area wanted to meet me at the range some day and let me buy the ammo.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i actually talked with mel about this a couple months ago... I think its a great idea.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thinking, everyone...I had figured someone had brought this up before...

Good point about the yards, yeah....yards it should be then.

I was thinking about standard NRA targets with the 6 inch bull, would be easy to total points instead of group size, but at 100y you guys will put em all in the X ring anyway lol. Might work well for longer distance shoots though.

Wow...guess we need to figure out where and what everyone can shoot.

An ongoing thing would be really cool, Mel. Good ideas to make it different too...We could have a cold barrel shot sometime too lol. The LE guys will rock.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I like it and suggest that we start at 100Y and possibly work back to200 or 300 yards - depending upon the level of participation and range availability.

I also suggest that we use or make up a target that is similar to the Sniper's Hide Tactical shooting target (10 bad guys - 20 bullets allocated between the 2 person team). I've done it from 100 yards and its not all that easy (at least the first few times you try it). It requires 1/2 MOA shooting or better to go clean and there is a 20 minute time limit. I'll try to post the link or a link to an image of the target that I'll get from my other computer.

Either way, I think we have to impose a time limit, and require at least 10 targets be put down. Tagets no larger than 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. The idea is to make it hard, but not impossible.

JeffVN

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Here is the image (in a much smaller than normal size).

The object is to shoot the white center (WITHOUT TOUCHING THE EDGES) of the Dark guys (there are 10 BAD GUYS) without hitting any of the hostages (lighter grey guys - only 4 good guys).

The white center is 1" across, so hitting the center without toughing the edges of the circle means shooting to roughly 1/2 MOA. Each "team" gets 20 rounds and has a 20 minute time limit. The goal is to get clean kills on the bad guys with the fewest number of bullets expended. Clean kill a bad guy is worth 10 pts, hit a good guy subtract 10 points (and send an apology note). Person with the most points (100 points max - 10 guys 10 clean kills) wins. Ties are broken by the fewest bullets expended to get the 10 clean kills.

I give myself one fouling shot and then go hot. I shoot it prone off a bipod and my little sand sock. My best is 10 clean kills in 14 rounds expended. Elasped time about 5 minutes.

If you look at teh bottom right corner, you'll notice that this target is the property of the guys at Sniper's hide, so if we are going to use it I strongly suggest we get their permission to do so first.
JeffVN

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa, good idea, Jeffvn...Really easy to judge and score with that target. Looks challenging, but fun! I'd be game. I think some "hostages" are gonna get hit, but I'll try lol.

True about asking Sniper's Hide's permission, if enough people want to use that target, I think it would be a great idea.

I've got a sandsock, bipod, and stopwatch...just need to find a spotter :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

lol, if I had to do that I think I would just blast off the 20 rounds and hope its my lucky day.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
actually im going to go shoot tommorrow, if someone could link me to that snipers hide target? in a printable format.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Troy, I figure we should still try to do it, but I think we need to know how many shooters we will have, when they can shoot, and what to shoot at. I nominate Jeffvn's target...but people will be shooting different rifles. And we don't know when or where people will be able to shoot. To simplify, I propose 100 m with scoped centerfire at that target. It says rimfire 50 m on it though...what do you guys think? I'll make a poll to see how many people would shoot in the match...

We also need to see who will judge and run in it...If anyone out there cannot compete and wants to judge, thats cool. I will volunteer...And Mel has too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that would be a great idea to mix in the 22lr at 50meters. Could I suggest using yards. My club has burms set up so I can only shoot at designated yards.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah yeah, my bad. Yards it shall be...and I think rimfires at 50 meters...er...yards is great...Check out the target Spade posted in Misc and tell us what ya think

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
the target that I posted was developed for use with .22LR at 50 yards and centerfire rifles at 100 yards.

JeffVN

·
Registered
48 Posts
Diggin up an old thread, but has anyone sent off any tagets yet? Im willing to participate in this as well.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I am going to try and post the official "fist" postal match by the end of this week. Be prepared!

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was out shootin 300 m prone in the snow today...I'm game!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jay said:
Diggin up an old thread, but has anyone sent off any tagets yet? Im willing to participate in this as well.
I am with Jay!! I must have missed this thread!! Think it would be great fun!! Any more details???????????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts