Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... there are over 540 people who are members of this site... how come only 75 or so post?! And another thing... does any one know how to post video's? Is there a photobucket type of site for video footage?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The most obvious reason is because most of the people are casual observers, not necessarily active participants by nature. Now, as long as we keep it very respectful and informative, more and more of the members will post, as their fear of being a newb and yelled at for making a dumb comment will be lessened.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: Understood about the newb thing. But do you know anything about posting video footage like a photobucket site but for video?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some video of myself and a few buddies shooting those 20mm Rifles. Thought i might try and post it on the net some how. You wouldnt beleive the muzzle blast on those things... especially the Laihti 20mm with its muzzle break.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey mel... maybe you can make a topic area just for the new guys? Maybe it will get them to start posting. :) Just an idea :) Maybe call it the New guy corner... or Welcome to SC...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yep nothing to get a good feeding frenzy worked up like fresh meat in the water!!!

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeffvn said:
Yep nothing to get a good feeding frenzy worked up like fresh meat in the water!!!

JeffVN
:D mmmmmm NEWB meat.... mmmmmm :p

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Would be cool for the newbies to have a place to post and introduce themselves, yeah. Testing the water, in a sense

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzzleblast said:
Would be cool for the newbies to have a place to post and introduce themselves, yeah. Testing the water, in a sense
Exactly my thought :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I admit I was pretty unsure of myself when I was debating what to post when I joined. I think I finally said to myself "you don't know who these guys are and vice versa. Quit being a pansy and post dammit!" And here I am. I wondered why somebody would join a board and never post. Especially when it didn't open new forums. You get all the access without signing up anyway; well I guess that's about to change with the membership thing though. Come on cherries...just say hi. Not like you'll get bit... :twisted: Um, don't read too much there, I'm not into that. :oops:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Once we started to talk about blowing things up and 50 cals, weren't ya just right at home, Kaz? Its way cool that you're here....now the other 400 people, we gotta get them posting!

LOL as for the biting issue, Mel should enact a "Don't ask don't tell" policy to keep things simple but thats a whole other can of worms!

If not, maybe a "don't ask don't tell" policy for Remington 710 users but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The newb area is a good idea. I think I will add that tomorrow. But I will enact the "be nice to new guys" law.....

MEL

·
Registered
576 Posts
how come only 75 or so post?!
No no no no. You've got 74 who "post." Then you've got me, who spouts bullsh*t once he wakes up and until he gets knocked out. :p

This "Newb Area" works fairly well on other forums. Sort of a "Introduce yourself" forum, it generally works. Also, some of the internet-specific abbreviations might be added to a "Glossary" of sorts that could be pinned in the "Newb Room" forum.

Examples:
- IDK, was a new one for me. "I don't know."
- OTL, again, a new one. Apparently it means: "On This Link."

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'll do my best to be nice to em mel. LOL i cant guarantee anything.

·
Registered
565 Posts
mele said:
The newb area is a good idea. I think I will add that tomorrow. But I will enact the "be nice to new guys" law.....

MEL
Aw, can't we be a little bit cruel to them? :mrgreen: Just like when you're the new guy in a unit...everyone's doing their best to make your life miserable until you prove worthy. There's nothing evil behind it...just a simple way of sorting out the gold from the grit...

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah but when you are a new guy in a unit there is at least one person to take you under his wing and teach you the ways of your new unit. hell i was watching this site for almost two months before i even registered then it took me like another week before i even posted.

I was scared of spade. he dont like newbie questions. LOL J/K Spade.

I think the newb section is a good idea. put the rules of the site right there in a pinned topic and tell them about the search feature before they ask a question that you old timers will jump in their troats for. You gys are pretty intimidatin sometimes :shock: LOL i m full of them today.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mele said:

MEL
The "be nice to the new guys" law is fine with me... after all... the only way for our Sport and Hobby to be here for the future generation is to get the younger guys and gals interested... and if we go scaring them all off it wont work out very good...

BC

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hey, how about a "newb hazing" forum? Kidding of course... We could move those comon questions to a "this again?" forum. I suppose a post in relpy to a "done again and again" topic that doesn't veil the annoyance well could be worse. When I changed schools (middle school a couple years back), it was the second day I started feeling really welcome. Some guy who I hadn't seen yet, let alone been introduced to, walked up and asked "Hey, do you wannna fight?". Ah, the joys of being the new kid... Maybe we should be extra nice to the new people; you know, sign 'em up for the Fruit of the Month club or something. Set up some kind of welcome wagon... Hell I don't know, I'm just posting babbling now so I might get out of some work.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I forgot a thought, I agree with BC. We should do verything we can to represent ourselves positively. I've taught a couple new people and I try not to do anything that might discourage or intimidate them. You know, give 'em something with light recoil and a regular bullseye target. Avoid tossing out the .300 Win with a target of a hostage taker and say "give the bastard the third eye". :wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Its not that i hate Newb's. Its just that i guess i get frustrated seeing the same questions over again. I dont like it when people are so lazy that they wont do a small bit of research to find out whats going on before they ask questions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts