Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding weight to my HS Precision stock.
I poured #9 lead shot into a 1/2" hole I drilled into the stock.

I want to glue it all together. Does anyone know of a water thin glue I can use to pour in and set it all up and and also add more weight??

· Registered
97 Posts
its not glue, but look at "Great Stuff" aresol foam insulating/expanding caulk. Other similar products were will as well.

when you feel the stock cavity up, mask off around the cavity and leave the buttpad screws in thier respective holes.

fill the stock up about four fifths of the way with foam and allow the foam to expand up out of the cavity. leave the stock forend down until it sets up (2.5-3 hours is best) then trim the foam and reattach your recoil pad.

Bpaige

· Registered
153 Posts
Check Ace Hardware for a 2 part Epoxy/Polmer call Envirotex Lite in the paint section.

Mix equal parts and pout into the stock tapping it while you do to settle in and around the shot and leave to dry completely.

Karsten

· Premium Member
5,270 Posts
You could also use simple fiberlass resin. It's not super high strength epoxy, but it's fairly "pourable", and should work great for keeping the shot BB's from rattling around.

If it were me, I'd mix your bonding agent together with the BB's, then use a funnel to feed the mixture into the hole in your stock. This way you make sure that the epoxy contacts every BB, and you don't have to worry about getting the resin to flow between the BB's inside the stock . . .

-matt

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gave up

Nothing I found would pour well enough to to work. I did a couple of experiments mixing the liquid and trying to pour it through and mixing the lead shot and epoxy together. Neither worked well.

The mixed epoxy really didn't want to flow through the gaps in the shot
and when I mixed the shot and epoxy together it made like a paste that wouldn't flow at all.

When both of my experiments failed I gave up and cut the butt plate off carved out a bunch of foam mixed it all up and dumped it in . Removing the foam allowed me to get more weight in ... guess it all worked out.

Thanks for the suggestions ... K

· Registered
3 Posts
I lay epoxy flooring and the thinnest stuff i've used is urethane top coating. its not meant to be very strong but it should pour through a funnel and you may even be able to mix in the shot with it to make it strong. im not sure how well it will pour with it mixed it though. if you decide to use urethane borrow a respirator because it will give you a serious headache is a well ventilation area and can be fatal if used with poor ventilation. once you have filled the hole you can also follow up with a more durable epoxy to smooth off the hole and if done will you will only see the ring.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

99% of my problem is that the stock was not hollow, but filled with foam, and anything I mixed with the lead shot just made it stick to the other shot and cause it not to flow.

My idea and plan were flawed from the beginning ... :oops:

· Registered
267 Posts
Re: Buttplate is glued

Kdiver58 said:
The HS Precision stock has an epoxied buttplate I only have access via the 1/2 inch hole I drilled.
You were supposed to use a chisel to break the epoxy bond and remove the entire buttplate to expose the void in the stock :wink: Any two part expoy will work. But your way will work just fine. IMO the HS pads are only good for retaining LOP - there too firm for a "recoil" pad.

EDIT: I just saw your post stating your stock didn't have the void. Sounds like what you did will work fine.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm adding weight to my HS Precision stock.
I poured #9 lead shot into a 1/2" hole I drilled into the stock.

I want to glue it all together. Does anyone know of a water thin glue I can use to pour in and set it all up and and also add more weight??
Check out "Awesome Material aresol foam protecting caulking; it's not glue. There were many other goods that were comparable tile removal minneapolis. Cover off the area around the stock chamber when you feel it up, and keep the pad bolts in their designated spots. Permit the foam to rise up out of the hole after filling the stock with foam about four fifths of the way. Trim the foam and reattach your recoil pad after letting the stocks forend sit for 3 hours to dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts