Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you .308 shooters use for practice ammo? I'm a law enforcement guy who's trying to become proficent with a bolt gun. I know that in a perfect world I'd be practicing with my "duty" ammo. However, spending $20+ per box is really going to cut down on the number of rounds I (and my dept.) can afford to send down range. On the other hand I don't feel comfortable using surplus ammo from god knows where. Is there a reasonable compromise? I know that some one will suggest that I load my own. However, I really don't have the time to invest in reloading at this time. :roll:

·
Registered
611 Posts
what ammo

Well in my experience most surplus isnt that bad, another relativly inexpensive route is the Winchester white box or Federal American eagle,Rem-umc . These are fairly cheap and usually shoot pretty good for practice /training have known of some police sniper teams using surplus in training/school type scenarios and they did very well could also check out the Black Hills reloaded line .there will be a different point of impact from a duty type round that has to be remembered.good luck and keep shooting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are on the money with the UMC. I've bought it for $8 a box before at Bass Pro so I'm sure you can find it cheap somewhere else.

If you really want to improve your skills cheaply go buy a reasonable 22LR. (CZ makes a reasonably priced bolt gun and they shoot pretty good) With the $$$ you'll save on ammo you can afford to buy one. Start shooting unsupported at a 6-8" steel target at 50 yards. When it gets too easy move it back. You'll be suppresized with your All around results.
You'll also save a ton of $$$$

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
patriot said:
You are on the money with the UMC. I've bought it for $8 a box before at Bass Pro so I'm sure you can find it cheap somewhere else.

If you really want to improve your skills cheaply go buy a reasonable 22LR. (CZ makes a reasonably priced bolt gun and they shoot pretty good) With the $$$ you'll save on ammo you can afford to buy one. Start shooting unsupported at a 6-8" steel target at 50 yards. When it gets too easy move it back. You'll be suppresized with your All around results.
You'll also save a ton of $$$$
A good .22 wiill teach you to really shoot. They are very unforgiving. Also you don't have the recoil so you can tell your mistakes easier.

·
Registered
994 Posts
He may very well already be proficient with iron sights and shooting a rifle: because he said his interest lies in developing his bolt gun skills, he might want to learn how to work the bolt quickly for follow up shots and all that fun stuff?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instead of "Bolt gun" I should have said centerfire, or scoped bolt gun. I already have a old, iron sighted, Win 69a .22 that I shoot fairly often (addmitedly, not as often as I should).
It's good to hear that the surplus stuff is OK. However, is there any particular kind that I should stay away from or look for? I've seen stuff from Australia, Malasya, South Africa, as well as the laqured Russian rounds. Is there a good source for Surplus ammo? Also, when switching from surplus to higher quality ammo, how much (if any) will my point of impact change?
If so, Is there a good way of dealing with this shift?
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you want to buy a .22LR caliber rifle for practicing as some people have mentioned above... the Marline M-795 is cheap and VERY accurate for the money. They cost around $125 at the most... come with a 10 round mag and are semi auto. They have free floated barrels with iron sights and have a rail for optics. I personally own one... and the local gun store gun smith owns two... one for him and one for his grandkid. All 3 rifles with Remington "Golden Bullet" bulk pack ammo (525 rounds for around $15) consitantly get dime sized groups @ 50 yards with 4X fixed scopes. As far as ammo goes... i try to load my own to M-118LR specs. But for everyday plinking and having fun... 150gr SP ammo is what i use. Remington UMC 147gr FMJBT is also good ammo... the brass from Rem-UMC is also VERY good brass for reloading uses.

BC

G

·
0 Posts
practice rounds for bolt guns

Well, everyone here has pretty well mentioned the names of cheaper ammo you can buy for the .308 for practice so I will not be redundant. A year ago I bought a CZ 452 Heavy Barrel .22 lr and put a 6x24x42 Tasco Varmint/Tactical scope with mil-dots on it. I warm up a lot with this rifle because firing Wolf Match Target .22lr emulates the firing pattern of my Remington 700 PSS .308. It is an extra expense but it was worth it to me. But still make sure you have some lower costing ammo available for your .308 so you do not forget the recoil. Just like BC says, "Train like you fight, fight like you train. There are lots of tactical guys that use the .22lr for practice. I am not going push it any farther than that because this site is for high powered rifles. If I am practicing, (I have my own personal range) and am running low on .308, I will have both the .22 and the .308 with me, and I will alternate guns to save ammo while firing during my session. Of course I have two seperate targets for both guns. Just wait till you can reload, the sky is the limit of the rounds you can build.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I tried the PMC 308D 168 FMJ-BT from my bravo-51 the other day. This is an easy .25 MOA rifle, I couldn't get a group below 1.25" Most were larger! So, I say avoid that ammo.

Hunting Shack Montana is nearby to me, and they manufacture some good low cost ammo shooting 168 & 175 SMK which will shoot about .6 MOA out of my bravo, for $13 a box. They also have a load with the 168gr A-Max for under $12, I'm going to try that next. You can get 175 smk sub sonic for $13 also. Of course, I doubt most people will be able to find their ammo stocked, but here is their web page:

http://www.thehuntingshack.com/

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
practice ammo

I just remembered, I bought some remanufactured ammo from Cabela's made by Ultra-Max. They are a U.S. company and a box of 20 168 fmjbthp .308 runs around $11.99. They also market the same load in moly, but it runs around $14 or $15.00 a box. I am following in Mel and BC's suggestion and keeping my bore moly free. $12.00 is not so bad for a remanufactured 168 grain "match" bullet. You would just have to see how it works.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
that sounds like a good load. I may see if I can find some locally (avoid shipping costs) to test out

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The Ultramax is good stuff, it uses GI brass for the reman, and the new ammo is FED brass I think. I have achieved .75MOA or better with it, I will shoot some this week and post the results. It shoots very clean too. Midway sells it for about $50 for 100rds or $10 a box, for info they will sell to depts for about $6-7 a box.

G

·
0 Posts
cheap ammo

Mel,

Mlammers is right on with the Ultra-Max ammo. I noticed some of the cases where Winchester, but, the most were good old Lake City. They do shoot clean too ! There product looks good too, nice and shiny and well finished. Not to get off the thread but I bought a bunch of Lake City Match brass the other day.

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone tried any of the Indian or South African stuff? Is it any good? Will it damage my Rifle?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It wont damage the rifle (granted that you clean very good)... but i would rather use US Lake City M-80 Ball surplus... its probably just as cheap too.

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Avoid the South African ammo. I used some this week and it stuck in my Remmy Chamber bad, so bad I had to beat the bolt back. I was very worried at this point, so I tried several other kinds of ammo later to see what was up. I tried handloads using several brands of brass(Fed match, BH match, Fed nickel, PMC, and LC Match), as well as factory BH 168 and 175 match, and Fed GMM 168, and FED tac bonded, plus remmy hunting ammo. All the others were fine and ejected real smooth and easy. I then tried the African again, and it stuck again.

I noticed the ammo seemed a little hot, and very loud with heavy recoil, so maybe its MG ammo. I then looked at the primers and they are set very deep, which after being fired, have then moved back. This allows the brass to expand and stick in the chamber. I fired 10 rounds total, and looked at every one, all showed the same things, that the deep set primers had moved back. All my handloads primers were perfect and the factory US ammo was good too. So just my thought, but I am done with the South African ammo.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
amt8951 said:
Whats a good source for the Lake City stuff?
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_ammo2.htm#308

US Lake City M-80 ball ammo is currently being used in massive ammounts by the US Military.... for obvious reasons... so finding real M-80 ball ammo is getting harder. Same goes for M-118LR ammo. :( However... the Australian Military surplus .308 ammo is just as good.

BC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts