Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend me my dad and a couple of my relatives were out pdoggin--we had alot of fun--my cousin shot a savage .17hmr--my uncle a 22-250 ruger varmit-my dad, a 700bdl 22-250-my other uncle-22-250 ruger-my other cousin-- 22-250 remington--and me--700 adl syn.308 (it shoots like **** but thats why i'm trading her in for the VS 22-250) and i also used my rem 597 .22lr--shot a couple at about 200 yds with her. ya guys think that pretty good??? any stories from you guys about praire dog huntin????
its hilarious watching those little sh*ts fly in the air--

dom

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dads friend had a .220 swift and at about 25 yards, the p-dogs would pop in half and go about twenty feet in the air. No suffering their.

One time a couple years ago when I first got my Remington. We were in a p-dog town and I was looking thru my scope. I did not see any thing in the field, until some thing poped out of it's hold at about 200 yards. It looked big with brown and tan coloring. I thought it was just a fat p-dog. *Bang* I missed and it stood up, turn out to be a badger. It looked mad, so we decied to get out of their.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wtf man--just blast the sucker--itd take him about a minute to get 200 yds--i shot a huge badger at about 3 yards in a barn with a .410----fur worth about nothing :lol:

dom

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Now that is some serious sniper training.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
urban farm sniping :lol: i was using like 4 shot in it tooo--

dom

·
Registered
994 Posts
hypno02 said:
its hilarious watching those little sh*ts fly in the air--
hypno02 said:
wtf man--just blast the sucker--itd take him about a minute to get 200 yds--i shot a huge badger at about 3 yards in a barn with a .410----fur worth about nothing :lol:
Without criticizing varminting, the pleasure it seems you derive in seeing the destruction of animals is a bit off-putting. Ethical arguments aside, the fact that human beings are engineered to be sensitive to the pain and destruction of other animals, and the fact that you seem to receive joy in such things, is cause for worry.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Actually I don't have a problem with prarie dog hunting at all. The things are a pest that destroy fields and cattle, horses deer etc break legs in the holes they make all the time. Every year millions of dollars in damages to crops and cattle are done, so I support it. Also you can learn to shoot since many times the little bast--ds are smart and you have to nail them at 3-400 yards. I'm not saying kill them all, but like anything they need something to balace out their numbers, and since birds of prey numbers are way down thanks to power lines and chemicals they need to be thinned. Shooting a small, moving target at long range, with winds etc, sounds like sniper training to me. Think of this, have you ever set out rat traps? Well all a prarie dog is a cute rat. We seem to get all upset about killing cute animals, but not ugly ones.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think you have a very excellent point Eka: there is tons of good from hunting varmints and I support it 100%. I think there's a lot of enjoyment to be had in achieving excellent shots from 400 yards. The point of contention, however, is the pleasure in the incredibly brutal death of the creature.

No one has (yet) objected to the death of the animal, but the pleasure derived in the horrible way (it being flung wildly, it exploding, etc.) it is killed, as opposed to taking pleasure in the skill and difficulty of the shot.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Hummm, I smell a pissing contest in the making. We all have our opinions and we won't change each others so why not agree to disagree. BTW people are part of nature, not set apart. We are not an invading alien species but part of the earth. another problem with the prarie dogs is mans success with farming, more food for us equals more food for them. While I respect your anti hunting stand I don't agree with it. All I ask is you respect my opinion wether you disagree or not. Arguing about hunting on a sniper forum is not only off topic, but not real bright on anyones part. The thing is remember what snipers do. They kill people in an effeciant manner for military or LE reasons that are legeal. Snipers don't eat their prey (I hope).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
if I could toss a little fuel... coming from a rural ranching background, i understand that the predators/ hole diggers need to be kept in check. and yes, we are moving into their territory, which is why we have to be careful on how we do this. the only problem i saw with the original post wasn't the lack of pride in a good shot... which we all share, be it a group that can be covered with a dime on paper or that long shot we "knew" we could make last hunting season to get the one.
" .22lr--shot a couple at about 200 yds with her. ya guys think that pretty good??? any stories from you guys about praire dog huntin????"
he was just looking for a "good job" on some hard shots with a .22 lr, which ya, he earned it - that is pretty good shooting with a .22lr. but what was wrong was the bloody humor in "its hilarious watching those little sh*ts fly in the air--" ... maybe his joy could be directed towards the challenge and not the destruction? anyone in here that has spent time in a "combat zone" be it vietnam or iraq knows you gotta have a wrong sense of humor to stay sane, but this isn't one of those places... some things should just stay over there. but, i'll give it to hypno... good shooting with a .22lr, lets just see the pride in the shot more so than the joy of the target... thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

A better shot with a shotgun? You just stand a bit closer or something?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Nah, lead time really increases, and pellet count goes way down. Even though .410 is what starts a lot of shooters, it's really a shotgun for a seasoned wingshooter. Sure learns you up though.

Much like people buy their kids a 243 as their first deer rifle. It's really a rifle for a guy with unfailing shot placement.

Well, when the deer are big anyway.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dont worry dead--i use a 12 guage too--the .410 is just what i happened to be using at the time

dom

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
1. I missed a p-dog post... :(

you need to get a 12guage son.
How old are you again? Not old enough to be calling people 'son' I don't think. I believe its best to leave comments like this to the people who are really old enough to pretend like they know everything. Rec would be a great example... :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts